Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    BeeE586

Default Are they on holiday ?

I have AVG and Zone Alarm, do a full scan every two days and an update every evening. For the last week or so there have been no infections on the scan and only the very smallest of updates - sometimes nothing at all.

Are all the spammers, scammers and phishers and putters out of nasties taking a Christmas break ? Long may it last.

Eileen

Starting to feel at home.

Quote Originally Posted by BeeE586 View Post

Are all the spammers, scammers and phishers and putters out of nasties taking a Christmas break ?

Eileen
    I can answer that question for you but first of all I need your bank account details so I can send your winnings from the Nigerian lottery

To be serious though I too have noticed few updates recently on AVG

Could be that version expires soon and you need the 2010 version now!
    Sadly, our friend Vanessa, passed away 29th. February 2012.

Life is brief. Time is a thief.

Always willing to share my ignorance... busyglen's Avatar

Mmmm! I wonder where I am going wrong?

I do an update every morning when I logon and some of the files have been a bit smaller and quicker, but I haven't missed a day. My scan runs in the afternoon, and I have only once had an infection. I also do a Malware scan regularly and so far nothing. Am I just lucky?

Glenys

Marie C..

Yes Glenys!
    You're just lucky.
    Mine does it's own scan and takes over three hours sifting through all my rubbish and then tells me all the nasties it has found but, like others, there have been few if any infections lately so either it's not working properly or, I, like you, am getting lucky or the scammers and such have GIVEN UP FOR THE TIME BEING.M

BeeE586

Quote Originally Posted by Hampshire View Post
    I can answer that question for you but first of all I need your bank account details so I can send your winnings from the Nigerian lottery
    Naughty, naughty !!!

I'll tell you mine if you tell me yours.

Eileen

Knowledgeable and helpful

Are all the spammers, scammers and phishers and putters out of nasties taking a Christmas break ? Long may it last.

Eileen
    I hope they don't read this posting - we could be in for heaps of problems sooner than we'd like. But, hey, lets think positive - they've gone on a long vacation out in the wop-wops where there are no internet cafes or circling satellites.

Melbourne Aust. ~ a drop kick away from the Essendon Airport - 9 miles out of Melbourne

Default Are they on holiday ?

I'm sure many of you have read the article shown here dated 2 days ago.

One of the kingpins of the spam industry has been caught.

--------------

Spammer given $210,000 penalty
    DAVID BARBELER
    December 22, 2009

AAP

A Queensland man who headed up one of the world's largest online spamming operations has been given a $210,000 penalty.

New Zealand-born Lance Thomas Atkinson, 26, admitted to being involved in a large-scale spam sending operation that delivered emails to internet users all over the world.

The court heard Atkinson's spamming racked up as many as 140,000 reports in Australia alone.

Both his defence lawyer and the Australian Communications and Media Authority (ACMA) last week submitted to the Federal Court in Brisbane that he should receive a $210,000 pecuniary penalty for the offences.

On Tuesday, Justice Andrew Greenwood agreed with the proposed penalty, adding a seven year injunction from sending spam and ordering Atkinson not to knowingly associate with any person involved in sending spam.

In his judgment, Justice Greenwood labelled the spam as "annoying and irritating".

"It requires computers to constantly update spam filters," he said.

However, he noted Atkinson had cooperated with the court.

Starting to feel at home.

I'll tell you mine if you tell me yours.

Eileen

Knowledgeable and helpful

Thumbs down They are back!!!!

My spam filter blocked a message today with a subject "Put $9,000,000 in your bank account"

Wow - all my Christmases have arrived!!!! Marvellous, world cruises, houses in different countries, a different car for every day, etc., etc., etc.

Needless to say the message was simply deleted on the ISP and definitely not even opened.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast