billysax

Default JW Saxton, manufacturing joiner

I'm led to believe that one of my ancestors, John William Saxton (aka Jack) had a successful business in Manchester manufacturing doors and windows just before WW1 (He was KIA in 1917). Does anyone have a trade directory of Manchester covering this period? If so would you be so kind as to have a look if he is listed there ?
    I'm not too optimistic, but you never know. Thanks in advance, Billy.

Degan

Default Directories

Hi I've had a look at www.historicaldirectories.org and checked out Slater's Manchester directories for 1903 and 1911 but could not see an entry that fit. Have you got more info about him (such as an address or occupation) from any of the census? Presumably if he fought in World War I he was running the business at the time of the 1911 census.
    Degan

billysax

Thank you so much for looking. I had my doubts when I was first told of this possibility, which is why I said I wasn't very optimistic. In 1911 he and his wife and children are in Alfreton, Derbyshire. His war sevice records give Alfreton as his address. Indeed, when ,after his death, his personal effects are returned to his widow, she is in Alfreton. Quite why he would establish a business in Manchester is beyond me. When relatives put forward these stories, you have to check them out haven't you? Thanks again Degan, time to put the record straight for someone. Billy.