ewan

Default Historical Directory Help Required

Does anyone have access to Historical Directories please that are not online (or help with searching the ones online)? I have been quite lucky finding my great granddad on these directories eg Plymouth, Brighton, Sheffield and the Isle of Man. I have just discovered that his son died in Caernarvonshire and I am interested to know, if possible, how long he was in the area.

William Henry Cox, Electro Plater/Plater/Silversmith/Gilder or Jeweller.

The years relevant would be 1881 to 1891.

Any leads to finding him on any directories greatly welcomed.
    Thank you
    Ewan

Geoffers

Quote Originally Posted by ewan
    I have just discovered that his son died in Caernarvonshire and I am interested to know, if possible, how long he was in the area.

William Henry Cox, Electro Plater/Plater/Silversmith/Gilder or Jeweller.

The years relevant would be 1881 to 1891.
    Have you identified your chap in the census returns for those two years?
    How old was he then?

Have you tried historicaldirectories.org ?

ewan

Quote Originally Posted by Geoffers View Post
    Have you identified your chap in the census returns for those two years?
    How old was he then?

Have you tried historicaldirectories.org ?
    Yes I have, he was 43 in Plymouth and 50 in Brighton, the link you mention is where I found him in other years and places.

I don't know no other way of finding out how long he was in Wales for, other than directories, whether it be telephone or trade.
    Ewan

Geoffers

The problem with searching directories is the extent to which they are indexed. The Historicaldirectories web-site at least has a general search facility; but it can still be tricky to find someone - especially if you are not sure where to look.

If your chap was 43 in 1881 - did he have any more children born after the census of that year? Their birthplaces may help to narrow down where to look in directories.

What did the son who died, die of? Had he been moved to a coastal area for health reasons? Does the address of the death certificate give any clues as to where to look in directories for his dad?

ewan

Quote Originally Posted by Geoffers View Post
    The problem with searching directories is the extent to which they are indexed. The Historicaldirectories web-site at least has a general search facility; but it can still be tricky to find someone - especially if you are not sure where to look.

If your chap was 43 in 1881 - did he have any more children born after the census of that year? Their birthplaces may help to narrow down where to look in directories.

What did the son who died, die of? Had he been moved to a coastal area for health reasons? Does the address of the death certificate give any clues as to where to look in directories for his dad?
    He had one child born in Plymouth 1884, sorry I should of mentioned so that narrows the time span down a bit.

He son had measles when he died, the address given was Bry y Don Bangor. On the 2 censuses I mention they were both from the coast.

Thank you for your interest.
    Ewan

Geoffers

As this thread repeats a question already asked on another thread; it is likely to lead to confusion and possibly dduplication of effort. I will therefore close this thread.

Anyone with additional information, please add it to the second thread, which can be found here - 'National Burial Index Lookup'