Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Carran

Wink Murder!! How do I find out about it?

Hello All,

I havent been on here for a while. But today I found out a bit of information that has sent me on a murder hunt!

Whilst talking to my mother in England this morning, about various new info I had found out about the family tree, she happend to say that not long after she got married to my father in 1952 she was in a shop collecting something and when she gave her name (Titchener), she was asked if she was any relation to the "Titchener fella that has just been done for that murder in Camberwell"! Well after trying to find out why she had never mentioned it before (she did'nt think of it), she dosent know if it was any relation or not. She thinks the murder happend in the late 40's early 50's but is not certain and as my father was never really in touch with his extended family he doesent know if it was a rellie either.

Does any one know how I would go about trying to find out about this and how do I access old newspapers, bearing in mind that I am in Australia.

It just proves that older rellies do come out with some true nuggets of information when you least expect it.

Thanks for any help you can give.

Carran

Procat

Hi Carran,

I would expect something like that to appear in the Times Digital Archive.

I am able to access it from home for free via the Victorian State Library. I would expect the NSW State Library to offer a similar service.

Failing that the National Library of Australia offers the facility from home. You will need to register with them to access it.

In November 1946 a Mary and George Tichner appeared in court charged with cruelty to their daughter.

I was unable to find any other reference to the name Tichner or Tichener in a court case. That does not mean that a deeper search would not come up with something of course.

Very quick off the mark.

The Wave Trust report 'A TALE OF 10 CHILDREN'

has a reference to

'Jean Titchener of Camberwell, whose mother used to burn her hands and feet with a lamp, and whose body was "just one mass of sores" (died 1946)'

It's quite a long way down the page under the heading 'Why?'

Regards,

maggie

Geoffers

Quote Originally Posted by Procat
    In November 1946 a Mary and George Tichner appeared in court charged with cruelty to their daughter.
    TNA file on criminal court depositions - CRIM1/1820

Only other TNA files 1945-1955 for the name relate to SOE files, a BT372 file and a contentious probate case.

Carran

Smile

Thank you for your swift replies.

I had forgotten that I had a NSW State Library card and have been able to access the Times Online. I think that mum may have been talking about the Child abuse case in 1946 but will have to talk to her about it a bit more.

Thanks again.

Carran

Spangle

Hello,

You may like to contact the Lambeth Archive, which holds in it's Minet Library all the newspapers, records and so on for this area, which covers Camberwell. https://www.lambeth.gov.uk/Services/L...s.htm#services

They carry out chargable searches but if you mentioned the distance between your home and London and how you are really not just being lazy, you never know, they MIGHT do a quick free look-see. No promises but fingers crossed.

If that draws a blank you might also like to cast your net further afield, to the neighbouring borough of Southwark, and ask their record holders (probably via Southwark Council), as the boundaries were changed some years ago and part of Camberwell previously deemed as Lambeth became under Southwark's authority.

Finally, the local newspaper is the South London Press, which has been going for many, many years.

I was born and bred in Camberwell but sadly don't know of any Titcheners!

All the best,

Spangle

Brian Turnbull

I have a similar problem. I have a distant relative who is said to have been shot be her brother in law in 1940. Another member of the family said she had a newspaper clipping but do date has not come good with the information. The GRO death registration is Sept qtr 1940 Pembroke, but I do not know the actual place of the death. I tried looking at the Times index but was not successful, so I guess it is necessary to locate a local newspaper. Does anyone know what newspapers could try for a copy of the article?

Brian

Jan1954

As you have the GRO death registration details, it would be easiest if you sent for the death certificate to nail the location.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Turnbull View Post
    I have a similar problem. I have a distant relative who is said to have been shot be her brother in law in 1940. Another member of the family said she had a newspaper clipping but do date has not come good with the information. The GRO death registration is Sept qtr 1940 Pembroke, but I do not know the actual place of the death. I tried looking at the Times index but was not successful, so I guess it is necessary to locate a local newspaper. Does anyone know what newspapers could try for a copy of the article?

Brian
    Brian has started a separate thread for this query here.
    https://www.british-genealogy.com/for...Murder-Enquiry
    Sue Mackay
    Insanity is hereditary - you get it from your kids

Post Jean Titchner

Quote Originally Posted by Sue Mackay View Post
    Brian has started a separate thread for this query here.
    https://www.british-genealogy.com/for...Murder-Enquiry
    Hello Carran! If your mum was speaking about Jean Titchner... then I can give you LOTS of information. My grandad is George Titchner (brother of jean & son of George and Mary). It was actually my grandad who came home after being evacuated and found Jean chained in the shed, it was my grandads Nan who called the police on her daughter. My great grandmother had beat & starved her & cut a piece of her toung out, she had 'cauliflower ears' where she'd been beaten so severely. My grandad had 4 brother's (Frederick, Jack, Billy & Micheal) and 3 sister's (Mary, Ethel & Jean) all of which were beat and treated appallingly! My grandad lost contact with both Jean and Mary and are both presumed dead now. Jack & Micheal are also now dead. Would be really interesting to see who your mother is? As I notice the difference in spelling of "Titchner"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast