Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Guy Etchells

Quote Originally Posted by WaltonAus
    Hello everyone, a question that has been foremost in my mind when posting replies for peoples queries is the ownership of the info being posted.
    As an example if some-one posts a query seeking info about Bill SMITH B:c1890 in London and I find and post a reply using either the BVRI (for example) or the Latter Day Saints website am I contravening any copyright laws. I always state where I found the record and give the file or reference No.
    I was subscribed with another genealogy site and many of my "reply" postings were blocked on the premise of copyright. It was stated that I could continue to do research for others provided I "wrote" the info in my own words instead of "cut & paste".
    I would like to get your views on this matter so that I don't fall into the same predicament again.
    I enjoy researching & whilst my own search is at a brickwall I like to try to help others when I can.

Kind Regards
    Peter Euston
    If you check the licence agreement of the BVRI it states -
    "3. You may not copy the data, except that you may print, photocopy, or download portions of the data for your personal family history research only. You may not publish or sell any portion of the data in any format except as part of your personal family history."

This in itself stops you from cutting and pasting to mailing lists, forums etc.

Under American law the data itself would not be subject to copyright restrictions and as the BVRI is published in the USA by the LDS it follows they would be bound by the laws of the USA.

If it had been a UK database then the law is different due to the 1997 database right which would protect the data as well. A single instance of copying a limited amount of the data would not be in breach of the database right but multiple copying of small portions of the data would be.
    Cheers
    Guy

Burrow Digger

That is correct. The facts of birth/death/marriage are not copyrighted - just the method of displaying them.

But you CAN transcribe the info - rewrite it basically. That is acceptable.

You cannot copy and paste (from an index) and you cannot send images (eg census pages) to someone else. If you copy & pasted from Ancestry or British Origins or the BVRI, then yes your posts will be "blocked" for copyright errors.

If you rewrite the info, the post will not be blocked.

Of course giving the location and reference number is also acceptable.

Hope this helps.

BD

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12