Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Starting to feel at home N@alie's Avatar

Default Missing Mayhew child

Hello again all

Some inspiration would be appreciated as I have been going around in circles on this for ages:

My g-grandmother died in Fulham, London, on 8th April 1908 from complications following the birth of her 7th child. I have her death certificate, but cannot find any trace anywhere of her child.

On the 1911 census, her husband George Mayhew had recently remarried. They have helpfully noted 7 children born alive with 5 living and 2 dead and then put a line through this as these children do not relate to his present marriage.

I have dates of death prior to 1908 for 2 of the elder children, so that tallies. The eldest was away in the army at the time of the 1911 census, 3 children were living with their Dad (as above), but there does not seem to be any trace of the youngest anywhere.

Ordered birth certificates for:

Charles Michael Mayhew Q2 1908 Fulham Vol 1a p373 (turns out was a cousin)
    Henry Mayhew Q1 1908 Fulham Vol 1a p332

but neither was the right one.

There is a George William J Mayhew who was registed in Q3 1908 Fulham Vol 1s 253, but surely the birth would have been registered over 3 months after the birth. I've also found George William James Mayhew aged 2 and born in Fulham on the 1911 census, but he's listed as 'Son' in the wrong family so I think it's extremely unlikely to be the one.

This has been frustrating me for months and I wonder if anyone could suggest a new tack on finding him or her.

Thanks

Brick wall demolition expert!

On the 1911 census, her husband George Mayhew had recently remarried. They have helpfully noted 7 children born alive with 5 living and 2 dead and then put a line through this as these children do not relate to his present marriage.
    Were the children living with George at the time of the census. If so what was the name of the yougest.

joette

With the Mother dying perhaps the birth was registered at the same time/place.So if the death was away from home maybe Registered where you are not expecting it or because of the death much later than usual.Or the birth was much earlier & the complications were of a long duration.When was the sixth born? I would be looking at likely births nine months after the sixth child.
    Any family nearby that could have taken in a small baby? Or a friendly neighbour? No mention of the baby on the death certificate?Could the child have been still-born?

Knowledgeable and helpful Karen Newman's Avatar

I think that, at that time, if a child was stillborn, then it wouldn't have been registered.

Brick wall demolition expert!

We have a stillborn in the 1930's not registered on the GRO.

There is a register of stillborns somewhere I believe, but not sure when that started.

Jan1954

Quote Originally Posted by Raffaele View Post
    There is a register of stillborns somewhere I believe, but not sure when that started.

Starting to feel at home

Did the family attend a local church, there may be a burial record if the child was stillborn.

Reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by joette View Post
    Could the child have been still-born?
    The 1911 census asks specifically about children born alive.

Starting to feel at home N@alie's Avatar

Thanks for your replies:

Emma, the mother, died of a Post-Partum Haemorrhage (excessive bleeding after delivery), which I understand can be up to six weeks after a birth.

Emma died at home, so no suggestion that she would have given birth and registered the birth elsewhere.

The youngest of the three children living with George at the time of the 1911 census is Rose, who was born in 1904.

Because the census shows 7 children born alive and 5 still living, I am convinced the last child was still alive - somewhere. Perhaps taken in by a kindly neighbour? But could they have given mis-information at the time of registration (eg different name)? Or even failed/forgot to register the birth at all... (Emma registered all the other births herself as far as I can tell from the certificates I have.)

George registered Emma's death himself on 9th April, the day after she died, but I don't know if there is any way of searching for births registered on the same day and place.

I've looked again at the 1911 census entry for George William James Mayhew aged 2. Although I've definitely not come across this family before, they could be worth looking at again - Head of house is George, a plumber, his wife is Amy and children are Vera Maud (aged 12) and aforesaid George William James. Only 2 children born alive and 2 children living. It's the 10 year gap between the children that's standing out now. I wonder if I should order this child's birth certificate even though he wasn't registered till Q3?

Knowledgeable and helpful Karen Newman's Avatar

I take it the death cert does not state how long she had suffered from the condition?

My great-uncle died in 1918 of Spanish flu - death cert states '2 days'

My great-great uncle died of a heart condition (in his teens) - death cert states '4 years'

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast