Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    perisama

Default McLaurin brickwall - birth

I am trying to find any evidence of the birth of Thomas McLaurin, born around 1800, son of Douglas, grandson of Thomas. We don't know where in Scotland he was born.
    He married a lady called Lydia from Sheffield, he was a gardener. I have census from 1841 & 1851 to back this up but nothing else apart from an aunt's memory.
    I have searched on A*****y and Scotlands P site but can't find a thing. If anyone can help, I have a fine Scotch in the cupboard for Christmas and you are welcome to come and have a drink with us!

Knowledgeable and helpful

Hi perisama

If you search on SP for
    Sirname McLa*r*n
    Forename Thomas
    Parent Douglas

No county or parish chosen.

Time frame 1795 - 1805 there is one match, have you looked at this one ?
    Chasing Caseys

Knowledgeable and helpful

Just nosing around the IGI

There is an extracted entry for the birth of a Thomas McLaren born 7 JAN 1797 Kilbarchan, Renfrew, Scotland parents Neil McLaren and Isabella Douglas coincidence maybe.

Or, there is an submitted entry - Thomas born 6 MAY 1797 Glasgow, Lanark, Scotland parents John McLaren and Marion Love.

Either way narrowing the birth date down on SP the year is 1797.
    Chasing Caseys

Hello Perisama

I think we might have corresponded before however ------

I am a McLaurin, Thomas is my 3rd great grandfather.

He worked in Eckington as Head Gardener, I have copies of his gardeners order book for the period he was there. He was also there with a John McLaurin (I have copies of his book as well). More info if you would like it.

I am interested also in his roots and would be interested in what your aunt had to say and, if possible, what her surname and maiden names were.

Hope to hear from you

Regards

Hedley

Hallo Hedley, and a warm welcome to British Genealogy. Perisama hasn't visited for a couple of years, but hopefully your post will trigger an e-mail alert...

In the mean time, do have a good look round the rest of the forum and see what else you can find.
    Sue Mackay
    Insanity is hereditary - you get it from your kids

Do remember that before WW1, surname spelling was fairly fuzzy, and if those census entries came from the English census, it's possible that a bit of variation has crept in. I've had a look at Black's "Surnames of Scotland" and he gives McLauren/McLaurin as variants of McLaren (all names also possible with Mac or Mc).

If you search the 1941 census for Thomas McLaurin in the whole of the UK, only Thomas and his son turn up - frequently an indicator of a spelling change.

Searching on Mc and Mac in England on FamilySearch delivers 4 kids bap Eckington:
    Sarah 1828
    William 1831
    Edwin Stevenson 1832
    Thomas 1835
    The 1841 also has Charles Edw abt 1939 but Sarah's missing.

I wonder whether Lydia was Miss Stevenson.....

Wilkes_ml

Just in case anyone is still searching for this birth/baptism, it is pre-1855 which is when central registration of births, marriages & deaths in Scotland started.

Proir to 1855, Scotlands people had the OPRs i.e. Old Parish Registers, however these were protestant baptisms, and the last time I looked on Scotland's people there were no Catholic parish registers online...

Of course some registers may be missing as well, but I also read somewhere (maybe on Scotland's People site) that many baptisms didn't take place (non-conformity again?)

Wilkes_ml

looks like I have opened up another rabbit hole for myself to do more research, as it has been a number of years since I last looked on Scotland's people, and there does appear to be Catholic Births, marriages and Burials!

The Catholic registers have been there for a while. Other registers (eg the Free Churches), however, are not.
    Then there's a lot of holes in the OPRs. Some Parish Ministers included non-conformists (including RC) in their records, others didn't. Then there's the fact that that a lot of registers are lost, rotten or illegible. There was a period when you had to pay for en entry in the registers and some folk did the deed, but didn't pay for the entry... And then, just when you think that you've found the entry you want, you're reminded that the info recorded was not standardised. Many Ministers provided lots of info, but some didn't. I know of one marriage entry where the name of the bride isn't given!

If you're interested in Scottish records, have a look at the stickies at the top of the General Scottish forum.

Default perisama

Quote Originally Posted by Sue Mackay View Post
    Hallo Hedley, and a warm welcome to British Genealogy. Perisama hasn't visited for a couple of years, but hopefully your post will trigger an e-mail alert...

In the mean time, do have a good look round the rest of the forum and see what else you can find.

Hello Sue - is there any other way to contact Perisama as she/he hasnt replied ??

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast