Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    maggym

Thumbs up NICHOLAS Family - Sennen/St Buryan/St Just in Penwith

I am researching the following NICHOLAS family and would be happy to hear from anyone who shares my ancestry:

Thomas NICHOLAS (1749 St Just in Penwith – 1839 Sennen) and Grace ROBERTS (c1763 – 1823 Sennen), St Just in Penwith/Sennen

Matthew NICHOLAS (1789-1862 Sennen) and Hester (or Esther) TASKIS (1789 St Just in Penwith – 1867 Sennen), Sennen

Grace NICHOLAS (1814 Sennen - ?) and John OATS (1814 St Just in Penwith – 1864 Sennen), Sennen/St Just in Penwith

vicgirl7

Default Nicholas family, Sennen

Hi, I am new to this forum and have just found your post. I share your lineage from the Nicholas and Oates families. Grace Oates (born 1814 at Sennen, daughter of Matther and Esther Nicholas) was my g-g-grandmother. Her youngest child Mary Oates (b. Dec 1850, at Escalls) married William Johns. They farmed at St.Levan. They had 5 children: Henry David Johns, John Russell Johns, Richard Oates Johns, William Rawlings Johns, and Annie Johns. My grandfather was William Rawlings Johns, born at St.Levan in 1886. He emigrated to Canada in 1908 but returned to England in 1914, settling in Warsash, Hampshire and marrying Mary Ann Wills. They had 3 daughters, 2 of whom are still living: my mother, Mavis Smith, here in Canada, and my aunt, Clare Mason, in NZ. My parents came to Canada in 1957. I have 4 siblings and between us we have 6 children. My aunt and uncle in NZ also have 5 children and 6 grandchildren. I believe that Henry David Johns and John Russell Johns also have descendants but unfortunately we have lost contact with them. Richard Oates Johns and Annie Johns never married.
    I can provide more detailed info if you are interested. My email is

[email protected]

Hope this is of some help.
    Cathy

royston

Hi Cathy, I have sent you 2 e mails, Roy White

billdog

Default Oates/nicholas

Hi, I have an Elizabeth Oats, born 1743, St Just, Cornwall. Elizabeth is the daughter of James Oats and Margaret Nicholas - I don't have any further information on them at this stage. Elizabeth links in to my mother-in-law's family through the Gartrell/Johns connection. Cheers.

cornish nett

Hi Just Wondering if your Thomas Nicholas was the same Thomas who married Sarah or Sally Trenery at Sennen in 1832 , i know my husbands Thomas died in Sennen and was buried 4/12/1839.

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Smile Hoping you are all still members!

Quote Originally Posted by maggym View Post
    I am researching the following NICHOLAS family and would be happy to hear from anyone who shares my ancestry:

Thomas NICHOLAS (1749 St Just in Penwith – 1839 Sennen) and Grace ROBERTS (c1763 – 1823 Sennen), St Just in Penwith/Sennen

Matthew NICHOLAS (1789-1862 Sennen) and Hester (or Esther) TASKIS (1789 St Just in Penwith – 1867 Sennen), Sennen

Grace NICHOLAS (1814 Sennen - ?) and John OATS (1814 St Just in Penwith – 1864 Sennen), Sennen/St Just in Penwith
    I've joined this forum as I am also related to Thomas and Grace and Matthew and Esther. Then I'm related to William T Nicholas and Mary Tonkin.

Hoping that you are all still members!

Sue

maggym

Hi Sue
    I'm also descended from the NICHOLAS, TASKIS and OATS families - Matthew NICHOLAS and Hester TASKIS were my 4xG Grandparents, John OATSand Grace NICHOLAS were my 3xG Grandparents. My 2xG Grandparents were their son John OATS or OATES (born in Sennen on 17 Apr 1844) and his first wife who was another Grace NICHOLAS (baptised in Sennen on 7 Apr 1844). They were married in Sennen in Oct 1863. Grace died in Sennen on 12 Jun 1864. Their daughter Mary Jane OATES (my Great Grandmother) was born in Sennen on 3 Nov 1863. John married his 2nd wife Ann CLEMMENS (or CLEMENTS) in St Just in Penwith on 24 Jul 1870 and they went on to have additional childdren. Some time between 2 Apr 1871 and 3 Apr 1881, John and Ann moved to Cleator in Cumberland.

I'd love to hear from you again and will be happy to share any info I have on the families. It's been some years since I've researched the famillies so you'll need to give me a little time to get back up to speed on what I found.

Looking forward to hearing from you
    Margaret

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Smile Nice to hear from you

Quote Originally Posted by maggym View Post

I'd love to hear from you again and will be happy to share any info I have on the families. It's been some years since I've researched the famillies so you'll need to give me a little time to get back up to speed on what I found.

Looking forward to hearing from you
    Margaret
    Hello Margaret,

So pleased that you are still around the forum. Yes, Matthew and Esther are my 4xgranparents too. My line is then Thomas Taskis Nicholas 1822 and Martha Thompson, then William Thomas Nicholas 1854 and Mary Tonkin, then John Nicholas 1881 and Elizabeth Ethel Paull, finally William John Nicholas 1904 and Violet May West are my grandparents.

I'm currently working my way backwards in time and at the moment I am verifying what I can for their son Thomas T before progressing further back. I'm naturally picking up information for earlier relatives and also my tree has many tangents in to other areas. I think you'll understand why that happens.

Im building my tree on Ancestry and at the moment it is private. I have now mentioned it going public to my siblings as I have found so much in the public trees really helpful. I'm happy to invite you in the meantime.

I live just outside Manchester in the U.K and I did live in Devon for a short while when 10 years old but haven't been back there in many years. I'm hoping to visit again within the next 6 months to look up some of the places my/our family lived though Im not sure about taking a boat to the St. Mary's! Boat trips are not my thing!

Thanks again for getting back to me.
    Warm regards
    Sue
    Last edited by SueNic; 30-08-2017 at 9:42 AM. Reason: Missed out information!

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Hello Margaret,

Just stopped by to check that you saw my post from Aug 2017.

I do hope that all is well with you.

Best wishes, Sue

maggym

Red face NICHOLAS FAMILY

Hi Sue Yes, I'm still here but I hadn't seen your Aug 2017 message until now. Since we last "spoke" I have had several computer crashes and have been trying to restore all the info I had before so it's been a bit of a scramble as you can imagine! Luckily I had some of the files backed up (but not the most recent research) so it's back to the drawing board now. I'm more than happy to share any info I have with you when I've whipped it into shape - I tried to do this last year unsuccessfully. I'd resolved to tackle the families again this year. We live in Melbourne, Australia and have just experienced a fairly warm summer with temps in the mid 30's most days. This does not encourage sitting at the computer trying to make sense of what you've found. Now there is a autumnal nip in the air which makes things more comfortable. My husband is English and we were married there. During the early years of our marriage we lived in Hertfordshire but his parents lived in Plymouth, Devon so we frequently visited the west country touring over the county border into Cornwall. It's pretty bleak in the areas the families lived in Sennen and was even more so the last time we visited there since there was a gale blowing and it was pouring the rain. Still, I liked it there anyway. I have access to Ancestry so will attempt to look at your tree and see if there's any info you are missing. They certainly must have been hardy people to survive there, either as miners or fishermen. Will be in touch again soon Warm regards Margaret

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast