Thread: Wrathall

Knowledgeable and helpful warncoort's Avatar

Default Wrathall

Folks,
    Since my brother in law passed away his hard drive had a melt down with the usual result.My sister passed on his paperwork to me, with the hope that i could get some of it on a family history program,amongst which was a back up disc dated 2003 and what appears to be an index of BDM in York.
    This is what i have!
    Stephen Wrathall b1779 married Mary Ann Walker b1791 and had 12 children including Lupton Walker Wrathall b1861.All dates are not confirmed and i have not been able to find IGI entries of use.
    Any help appreciated,
    Eric
    PS name rhymes with brothel!!

pottoka

I know that I'm not good at maths, but to have someone born in 1791 being the mother of a child in 1861 is still not medically possible even now - she would have been 70!

There are two birth entries for a Lupton Wrathall born in Yorkshire around that time: both in Skipton R.D.

- 1855 - Jul/Aug/Sept - Vol 9a - page 51
    - 1860 - Jan/Feb/March - Vol 9a - page 47

pottoka

Smile 1861 Census

With two Lupton Wrathall births in the same R.D. and quite close together, I thought that they might be in the same family, with the first child dying and another son being given the same name. However, I can't find a death registration for a Lupton Wrathall.

Looking for them on the 1861 Census, in order to try to work backwards, only brings up one, though, the one registered in 1860. He is living with his family in Addingham, Yorkshire:

John Wrathall - Head - Mar - 39 - Butcher - Thornthwaite, Yorkshire
    Sophia Wrathall - Wife - Mar - 27 - Rigton, Yorkshire
    May Ellen Wrathall - Daur - Unm - 5 - Draughton, Yorkshire
    Sarah Ann Wrathall - Daur - Unm - 4 - Draughton, Yorkshire
    Thomas Harper Wrathall - Son - Unm - 2 - Draughton, Yorkshire
    Lupton Wrathall - Son - Unm - 1 - Addingham, Yorkshire

Census reference: Class: RG9; Piece: 3190; Folio: 41; Page: 5 (Images copyright TNA)

pottoka

Smile Marriage reference

Lupton's parents were married in 1854. His father was John Wrathall, and his mother Sophia Harper. The marriage took place in Knaresborough R.D., Apr-May-June, Vol 9a, Page 127

pottoka

Smile 1851 Census

John Wrathall appears on the 1851 Census in Draughton, Yorkshire:

John Wrathall - Head - U - 29 - Farmer of 313 acres - Thornforth, Yorkshire
    Lupton Wrathall - Brother - Mar - 27 - Farmer - Thornforth, Yorkshire
    Susannah Wrathall - Wife - Mar - 27 - Farmer's wife - Bolton, Yorkshire
    John Wrathall - Son - 4 Mo - Farmer's son - Berwick, Yorkshire
    Smith Wrathall - Brother - U - 15 - Labourer - Appletrewick, Yorkshire

Class: HO107; Piece: 2279; Folio: 371; Page: 9 (Images copyright TNA)

Above is how the census form was filled in, but John is not married, and Susannah is his sister-in-law, and baby John is his nephew.

pottoka

Smile 1841 Census

1841 in Burnsall, Yorkshire (Township of Appletreewick)

Lupton Wrathall - 53 - Farmer - Y
    Mary Wrathall - 43 - Y
    John Wrathall - 20 - Y
    Lupton Wrathall - 18 - Blacksmith - Y
    Stephen Wrathall - 15 - Y
    Richard Wrathall - 13 - Y
    Thomas Wrathall - 10 - Y
    Mary Wrathall - 8 - Y
    Smith Wrathall - 3 – Y

Class: HO107; Piece 1315; Book: 10; Civil Parish: Burnsall; County: Yorkshire; Enumeration District: 7; Folio: 6; Page: 6; (Images copyright TNA)

This family are transcribed as Wrashall on ancesspit. A search on the IGI for Lupton, the father, gives him as the son of John, which is not helpful. The only thing which transpires is that Lupton was definitely a family name. There is a son called Stephen which might mean that one of Lupton's brothers was called Stephen, but the IGI only gives Lupton as the child of John and Ellen, with no siblings.

An extracted record on the IGI gives Lupton's marriage to Mary Cummings on 11th September 1820 in Hampsthwaite, Yorkshire.

Knowledgeable and helpful warncoort's Avatar

Sorry Folks,
    Lupton was born about 1829.
    I have just checked and found that his file holds names of 2000 people,some of whom are only given a christian name,nothing else:i had thought he was far more accurate.
    Lots more to do,thanks for the census information.
    Eric

Question Mary Ann Walker

Quote Originally Posted by warncoort View Post
    Folks,
    Since my brother in law passed away his hard drive had a melt down with the usual result.My sister passed on his paperwork to me, with the hope that i could get some of it on a family history program,amongst which was a back up disc dated 2003 and what appears to be an index of BDM in York.
    This is what i have!
    Stephen Wrathall b1779 married Mary Ann Walker b1791 and had 12 children including Lupton Walker Wrathall b1861.All dates are not confirmed and i have not been able to find IGI entries of use.
    Any help appreciated,
    Eric
    PS name rhymes with brothel!!

Hi there,

The two people you mentioned are my 5th great grandparents. I have a lot on the Wrathall's and it seems every generation they name one as Stephen or Lupton. I am trying to find information about Mary Ann Walker though. I know that her father owned a few hotels in London and they were wealthy. I cannot find anything about her parents however. I don't know her fathers first name or the mothers last name. I know the her mother is Ann Walker nee ( not sure ). A few people have had different names for them both.

Could anyone point me in the right direction of finding out who her parents were? I have looked through all the ancestry websites, spent 2 days looking at records. I cannot find her parents. She was born 1 August 1791. She died in 1852 in Australia. Mary Ann was married

6 Mar 1810 • Wapping, England
    Marriage Date: 26 Mar 1810 Parish: St John of Wapping County: Middlesex Borough: Tower Hamlets

Her parents are not on the marriage license. Stephens parents were there to sign the marriage certificate.

Any help would be much appreciated. I always feel bad when looking and I can't find the person. It's like they have been forgotten in history.