Default John Davies family of Llanelly

Hello List
    On the 1871 census of Llanelly I have the family of John Davies as follows
    John Davies Head Mar 46 Labourer Carmarthen

Elizabeth Davies Wife Mar 39 Carmarthen

David Davies Son 10 Carmarthen Llanelly

Benjamin Davies Son 8 Carmarthen Llanelly

Mary Ann Davies Dau 2 Carmarthen Llanelly

John died jun1/4 1871 .On the 1881 Census Margaret states born Trelech and the children are with her

Thank you in Advance
    Bob

jeeb

Hi Bob,
    The 1871 census also lists the wife as Margaret (not Elizabeth) and gives her birth place as Camarthenshire, (not Carmarthen)

There is a marriage registered in Llanelly of John Davies & Margaret Lewis Oct/Dec 1860 vol 11a page 832.

These are common Welsh names so you need to order a birth certificate of one of the children to prove that this is the correct marriage.

Jeremy

jeeb

Default 1861 census

Hi Bob,

The 1861 census ref RG9/4113 Folio 7 Page 8 gives Margaret Davies a birthplace of Cilrhedyn, Carmarthenshire. (Not that far from Trelech.)

Jeremy

robertg

Default John Davies family of Llanelly

Hello Jeremy
    Is there any chance of sending me the 1861 census as I will not be back onto Ancestry until the New Year , I was on Ancestry until Nov 20th and on the last day on there someone on the Glamorgan list sent me the 1911 of the Son ,Benjamin whose son married a widow Who was born Lucy Gascoigne in St Twynnels,Pembroke. This enabed me to trace backwards until I got stuck at 1861, I just could not find any of them !871 was so easy to find , I have the 1881 so that was easy. if you can send the 1861 whether a copy or just an email
    I would love to have the information .My email is robertgascoigne AT cox DOT net
    Thank you in Advance

Bob
    Last edited by Jan1954; 25-11-2009 at 7:24 AM. Reason: Email address edited in the continuing war against spammers....

jeeb

Default 1861 census

Hi Bob,
    Here is the 1861 census you asked for. The birthplaces have been indexed totally wrong so I have written as I read them, I am certain I have Margaret's right and fairly certain about John.

RG9/4113 Folio 7 Page 8
    New Rd, Llanelly
    John Davies 33 Furnace maker in copper works born Carmarthenshire Abergwilly
    Margaret Davies wife 27 born Carmarthenshire Cilrhedyn

Jeremy

robertg

Default Thank You

Hello Jeremy
    Thank you so much
    Bob

robertg

Hello List, I have been told that Benjamin Davies was born in Longhor, and not Llanelly. I wonder if that could be a church called Horeb that they did not baptiza at birth but left it to the children to decide.
    Bob

jeeb

Quote Originally Posted by robertg View Post
    Hello List, I have been told that Benjamin Davies was born in Longhor, and not Llanelly. I wonder if that could be a church called Horeb that they did not baptiza at birth but left it to the children to decide.
    Bob
    Hi Bob,
    My apologies but I do not understand what you mean by the above statement? Firstly the name 'Benjamin Davies' will be quite common, especially in Wales so are you now saying that Benjamin listed on the 1871/1881 census as the son of John & Margaret Davies is not the one you are looking for? I do not know of any place called Longhor, there is a place in Staffordshire called Longnor but this is a long way from Llanelly. If you still believe that Benjamin Davies on the 1871 census born in Llanelly is your man then I am not sure why you are questioning it? Birthplaces often vary on censuses because often different people would have supplied the information for different censuses and basically a lot of people didn't actually know the exact place they were born and often put down a place they remember living. the most accurate birthplace is usually the one taken closest to the individuals birth because the parents were most likely to have supplied the information and are the ones most likely to know the exact place.
    I am totally baffled by your statement about a 'church called Horeb that did not baptise at birth', so sorry I cannot assist you further with that.

Jeremy

robertg

Default Hello Jeremy

Hello I spelt the place wrong it should be Loughor, it is a part of Llanedi .It is described as Sardis (Baptist) .The records are with those of Adulam (Llanelli). I found this on Genuki. The information on Benjamin belonging to a Church in Loughor came from two elderly Ladies in a nursing Home one is 95 and one 106 so the memory might be playing tricks. Llanelly Record Office said only one Benjamin was born in Llanelly in 1864 to a John Davies and a Margaret. That was to a John Davies aged 26 and Margaret Stevens aged 21, so I now have the marriage Licence, the marriage was in the parish of St Ishmaels. John lived in Trecor and Margaret in Ferry Side, the marriage was Dec 25th 1855 . The first child David was born 1862. I find it strange waiting for 7 years to have the first child,then Benjamin in January 1864 ( I have a birth certificate for a Benjamin for this couple, John died in 1871 and Margaret , David , Benjamin and Mary Ann born 1869 were with her on the 1881 with a boarder Elizabeth Davies aged 74 a widow.

Bob