Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    perisama

Default Robert GRAY, Bishop of Bristol

My hubby's 3x gt grandad was Robert Gray, Bishop of Bristol, (His son also Robert was the 1st Bishop of Cape Town).
    I have been trying in vain to find where Robert Gray was born and who his parents were. The facts I have so far are:
    Robert Gray, son of Robert of London, Silversmith, born 11 Mar 1762
    died 28 Sept 1834.
    There is a lot written about him and his son (and other sons who were clergymen os lawyers) but nothing about his parents. No birth records etc have turned up. I have tried CCEd, Fam Search, A*****y etc, .... Help needed.

Famous for offering help & advice

According to the Oxford Alumni records (at Ancestry) he was a member of St Mary Hall, Oxford, which is now part of Oriel College. The Oriel website has information about the college archives, which may or may not be useful.

The Alumni record also gives details of his appointments before becoming Bishop of Bristol. The earliest one mentioned is Vicar of Faringdon, Berks, which was then in the Diocese of Salisbury; the Clergy Database gives the date of his appointment as 3 Mar 1794. It's possible that there are papers relating to this appointment or his ordination, which might mention something about his origins. The Wiltshire and Swindon Record Office would be the place to ask about these.

Arthur

perisama

Thanks Arthur, I will try that. I have since found that mum's name was Ann Norman and siblings ann and sarah.(IGI) Still no county given.

Anndingsdale

Robert Gray's (Bishop of Bristol) father was Robert Gray who had a goldsmiths and jewellery shop at 13 New Bond Street between1777 and 1792 when he died and his younger son William Gray took over the business. Robert was a cutler and toyman (expensive trinkets) . Before that a Robert Gray (possibly his father?) had a business in the same area ('Bond Street opposite the Duke of Grafton's) between 1751 and 1775 as a cutler and surgical instrument maker. I have had no luck so far tracing marriages etc, but another son , Thomas Gray had a similar shop at 42 Sackville street just round the corner. There are trade cards in the British Library collection Robert Gray Snr must have been a very wealthy man as the Bishop went to Eton before Oxford- and Robert went on the Grand Tour with the nephew of the Bishop of Durham in 1792 which was probably how he got good appointments in Durham and Sunderland. Hoverever he must have been very talented to get on so well from a 'trade' background. William's son Robert also became a priest and took over Sunderland when Our bishop was elevated. I think at least 2 other sons of Bishop Gray became priests too as well as Robert of the Cape (my g-g-grandfather) and two sons also married into the aristocratic Ker family.

perisama

Wow, Thanks Anndingsdale, I will look more into all of that. Very interesting.

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default Further detail

Hi,
    This is my first post here! I'm keen to research my maternal Grandmother's family as she too is related to Robert Gray Bishop of Bristol, and Robert of the Cape. I am trying to find whether Charles Gray, founder of the Architectural Association alongside Robert Kerr is a relative. I feel like this may be where the Ker Gray names in my Grandmother's maiden name may be from. My great uncle was Robert Michael Ker Gray QC too!

Thanks
    J

Hello Jgyp1991, and welcome to Brit - Gen

My great uncle was Robert Michael Ker Gray QC
    Starting with Robert your Gt Uncle.

Robert M K Gray 1936 MMN Vyse, Henley Oxfordshire

Marriages Sep 1929, Honiton 5b 67
    Walter K Gray/Violet M Vyse

1939 register, Rectory Cottage, Henley.
    Robert M K Gray born 29/08/1936; Walter K Gray, 27/11/1880, retired R.A. Violet M Gray 12/12/1900, school mistress.

Births Mar 1881, GRAY Walter Ker, mother's maiden name Lister Doncaster 9c 731

1881, Bentley cum Arksey, Doncaster. RG11; Piece: 4693; Folio: 37; Page: 3;
    Walter A. Gray 50, vicar of Arksey, born Edlingham, Northumberland
    Frances M. Gray 31, wife, Doncaster
    Agnes L. Whall 11, step child, Balby
    Hilda C. Whall 8, step child, Doncaster
    Estella B. Whall 5, step child, Wath
    Walter C. Gray 1, son, Doncaster

Marriages Dec 1879
    Gray Walter Augustus/ Whall Frances Mary Doncaster 9c 773

Frances Mary's 1st marriage; Marriages Sep 1868, Doncaster 9c 638
    Frances Mary Lister/John Fritz - William Whale
    Alma

Perhaps you already have the info above and what I'll post here................you didn't say what records you have. Not a problem, as by posting on this thread census returns etc it may help us to find a connection between Charles Gray and Robert Ker(r) and your Gt Grandmother (you didn't give her name, perhaps she's still alive). Wikepedia (not always reliable) says of Robert Gray, Bishop of Bristol "Soon after 1790 he was presented to the vicarage of Faringdon, Berkshire"

I think this is the baptism of Charles Gray, co-founder of the Architectural Ass.

Name Charles Gray
    Event Type Baptism
    Christening Date 05 May 1828
    Christening Place Newcastle upon Tyne All Saints, Northumberland
    Father's Name William Gray
    Mother's Name Elinor Gray

And this Walter's baptism (see Walter above)

Name Walter Augustus Gray
    Event Type Christening
    Event Place Edlingham, Northumberland, England
    Gender Male
    Christening Date 11 Jul 1830
    Father's Name William Gray
    Mother's Name Eleanor Gray

1861, Bolton, Northumberland. RG 9; Piece: 3880; Folio: 30; Page: 6
    William Gray 64, barrister at law and farmer, Farringdon Berkshire
    Eleanor Gray 59, Edlingham, Northumberland
    Elsen Gray 27, Edlingham, Northumberland
    Arthur Gray 24, 41st Welch Regiment, Westminster
    Jane Gray 20, Westminster
    Eleanor Gray, Edlingham

Wikepedia also says of Robert Bishop of Bristol "His wife was Elizabeth, sister of Alderman Camplin of Bristol, with whom he had numerous children; including Robert Gray who became Bishop of Cape Town and Metropolitan of Africa."

Baptism
    Name: William Gray
    Birth Date: 14 Nov 1796
    Baptism Date: 16 Dec 1796
    Baptism Place: Faringdon,Berkshire,England
    Father: Robert Gray
    Mother: Elizabeth
    Alma

Esq John Edward Gray
    Marriage Notice, 7 Aug 1841, Newcastle upon Tyne, Northumberland
    Father's Name: Bishop of Bristol
    Spouse's Name: Essex Ker