Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    ShirleySS

Smile Boats called ADA, CLARE, ALICE, ESTHER, ETHEL

Hi Maggiemac
    I would be very grateful if you could point me in the right direction. I have a George RUSHTON b.1865. He married Kate Hallam who is on the census for 1901 as Wife. George must have been at sea. My father tells me that George (my G Grandfather) had a fishing fleet of five, all named after his daughters. I want to find confirmation of these boats called ADA, CLARE, ALICE, ESTHER AND ETHEL and don't know where to start.
    Shirley

Maggiemac

Hi ShirleySS, I have had a quick look around for trawler owners in the name of Rushton but cant seem to see one,do you know if he chose a certain name to call his fishing business? I also looked for Grimsby Skippers but did not find him there either,of course I have only looked at one list.

He was a fisherman I see in 1889 when he married Kate Hallam .
    He also seems to be away from home in the 1911 census.
    Kate is with her children but no George.

I am sorry I cant help you this time.But if you can think of anything else I could help with please let me know.

Maggiemac

Brick wall demolition expert! ChristineR's Avatar

Hello Shirley,
    welcome to BG Forums - as you can see, I have moved these posts from the Introduce Yourself board to a thread of their own on this Canals and Watermen board.
    Hoping someone can help.
    ChristineR

sue1

Default Fishing fleet

Hi Shirley,

Where was your g/grandfather born in 1865 and where was his wife in the 1901 census?

Certainly the area of the census in 1901 should give a clue as to where he fished - he probably fished near where he lived

Kings Lynn in Norfolk had an enormous fishing fleet in the 17/1800's and there is a fishing fleet museum there - they fished in the North sea. The museum is called Trues Yard and there is a website if you happened to find this could be the area.

Sue

Maggiemac

Hi Shirley, I found...

Absent Voters List for Grimsby 1914/18

George Rushton of 28 Duke Street
    481 MSA Skipper R.N.R.T HMS Pekin.

Maggiemac

ShirleySS

Thanks Maggiemac. I think his fleet must have come well after the daughters. Ethel would have been my Grandmother and she was born around 1900, possibly 2nd youngest.
    I have the boat info from my father, but he is rather spasmodic on the bits he can remember. He remembers cycling from Leeds to stay with his grandparents in a house called Rushlam in Humberston. He has also told me that any family member can get free entry to the Fishermans Museum. I have never tried but believe it no longer exists in its former premises

ShirleySS

Hello Sue
    Thankyou for your input but they are definitely Grimsby people
    Shirley

Maggiemac

Hi Shirley, this may sound odd...but did your father ever mention that Ethel Rushton's dad had a fried fish shop?
    If so I have found her marriage,also Ethel's brother William Henry's marriage.
    Not much help in finding the ships though is it!?!!

Maggiemac

Name well known on Brit-Gen

I know nothing about this subject, but I wonder if this link is of any use? Would these registers include fishing vessels?

Kerrywood

Geoffers

If the ownership of these vessels was after 1894 - see Paragraph 7 of this research guide - although visiting Grimsby as per the link mentioned by Kerrywood would seem easier for you.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast