jenfer

Default Weymouth & Melcombe Regis

Hi

I am the OPC for Weymouth & Melcombe Regis - the site is part of the Dorset OPC project but on a seperate site. It started out as a OPC site and for the forseeable future will still be named as such, though on a personal level it is very much turning into an OPS. Most records online are Genealogical in nature though I do have many scans of postcards and hope to have some maps, pictures and more soon.

I also have a lot more information, records, maps etc that hasn't been transcribed (or adapted) yet, some of which will never be suitable for the website such as reference books and later information which I feel can't be included yet as it may refer to people still living.

LynA

Thumbs up

Hello Jenfer,

What a useful site. I'm sure many of us will be grateful for this. I've had a quick look and I've already spotted some connections.

Many thanks,
    Lynda

jenfer

Glad to be of help
    I have the full census returns for Dorset from 1851 and for the Weymouth area from 1841, along with lots of other bits and pieces which I haven't transcribed/scanned etc yet.

I also have a good knowledge of Dorset it's history and places, being born and bred here, so if you ever have any questions don't hesitiate to ask.

Valued member of Brit-Gen

Default Dorset

Hi Jenfer

I have looked at this site and its great, I am thinking of helping with a Wiltshire village that my family came from in Wiltshire this county has been started. But I do need a bit more time. As I already have a lot of fiche some already put into excel mainly for my use. I think I will have a head start there.

Tell me what sort of things you need to do and how do you put them on line. Is Excel ok or do I need to have a special program.

I was mainly looking in Dorset because my gg grandfathers brother who moved to Melcombe Regis around 1861 (GWR), he have a couple of daughters born there 1 died but the other lived until at least 1871 when I found her in Devizes with stepmum and half brother. We were going to Weymonth, Melcombe Regis side but we had to cancel so we never got to see the roads he lived in (yes they are still there) but whether they are the same houses I don't know.

One thing we would like to find out is where this baby Agnes Alice Sim(p)kins was buried. We would like to go and if its possible put some flowers on her grave. ????

She was born 1859 and died the same year. The Mother died in Bath 1860 as luck would have it with an Aunt by marriage, (We have been looking for a link with this Bath family for ages and there it was). But Giles snr and jnr were in Melcombe Regis in the 1861 census, daughter Ann was with the grandmother in Box Wilts. As the family moved not long after 1861 census and Giles remarried in Devizes in 1863, no one probably visited the grave. But we will go and see it all some day.

Irene

jenfer

Hi Irene

I generally use Excel for transcribing along with a free program called ASAP Utilities to format them to go into web page, copy and paste over to my web design program. As for getting them online I already design web pages and use Dreamweaver but that's expensive; there are other programs such as Word and Frontpage which you can use. My Weymouth site is on hosted space which cost me a fiver a month but you could use the space hosted by your ISP. Then to upload to the webspace you either need an FTP Client or most ISP's have a file transfer page.

There is a online searcable burial record for Weymouth, Melcombe Regis & Wyke Regis on the Portland & Weymouth Council Website Burial Index Search which has Alice listed...

14/12/1859 Simpkins Agnes Alice Melcombe Regis daughter Giles & Jane
    You can use this to write to Weymouth Crematorium who will tell you the grave plot number and so on, there probably won't be a gravestone but if you take the plot number with you when you go to Weymouth and take it to the Crematorium office they will look it up in their big book and telll you where to go.

HTH

Jenfer

Valued member of Brit-Gen

Default Weymouth

Jenfer

Thank you for your help, sorry I haven't been able to get back to you. Sad to say we didn't make it to Weymouth. My brothers mother in Law took very ill and was not expected to live. But she did and is now home. I most certainly will be doing so this year some time.

I still have not found Alice's brothers and sister which we know were alive in 1861 and 1871, but I am still looking. Another of this family an Aunt who married a Smith (oh help) they moved as well after 1851 and I had not been able to find them until last week. Either this site, or a sister one found them back in Liskeard Cornwall for me, a daughter had been born there 1847, I never thought to look back there but I know have more names to check out, just waiting for some birth certifcates to arrive to confirm their mother.

So with a little bit of luck and help from you wonderful people I may be able to fill in a few more gaps.

Irene

R.Royal

Oh, I am so glad I found this thread !

R.Royal

I just found a whole bunch of new info in Wyke Regis ! Yay !