Knowledgeable and helpful

Default Where in Radnorshire?

In 1851 Mary Smith (44), wife of George Smith (50), of Midsomer Norton, living in Wellington Row, Rhymney Iron Works, Bedwellty. Her place of birth transcribed as "Llanpetre", Radnorshire. Also living with the family her father John Price (81), his place of birth shown as "Llandwith", Radnorshire.

In 1861 Mary(55)and George living at Market Tavern, Cwmdare, Glamorgan. Her birthplace then recorded as "Lambeth" Radnorshire.

Would welcome any suggestions as to the correct name of these locations in Radnorshire

Keyboard86

Hi Brentnor boy, They are almost called those names even today.

Lambeth and Llandaff both part of Cardiff South Glamorgan Dyfed
    Cwmdare/Aberdare Mid Glamorgan Rhondda valley 15 miles from Cardiff
    Llanpeter/Lampeter Dyfed about 15 miles from Cardiff
    Llanwith/Llanwit Major South Glamorgan about 15 miles from Cardiff.

Hope this helps, Cwmdare was where i was born so I just tried to remember the place names, that I visited as a youngster!

Hope this helps, and hope I am right!

If I have slipped up in my memory, will someone pick up on it for me.

Keyboard86

Keyboard,
    Thanks for your ideas, which certainly merit consideration, but if the evidence of the census returns is to be believed, I am looking for locations in the old county of Radnorshire. I am not sure the places you mention were.

Keyboard86

Hi you are so correct, it was the place names that triggered fond memories!
    I blame my father for bringing me down to London, and not telling me where Radnorshire was!
    Keyboard86

John Nicholas

The birthplace of John Price is actually written Llanelwith, which I think is Llanelwedd, a village about 2 miles east of Builth Wells.

The best stab I can have at Mary's birthplace, based on Llanpetre and Lambeth, would be Llanbedr. This is about 10 miles south and east of Builth, and so not far from Llanelwedd.

I hope that helps.

John

John,

Many thanks for that. It makes perfect sense.

Your suggestion of Llanbedr confirms my own suspicions but I had a number of possibilities for "Llandwith" - not including Llanelwedd. This has given me a better focus in my search for John Price in 1841

Default Llanbedr

John Nicholas - I agree Llanelwith = Llanelwedd and Llanpetre = Llanbedr.

There are 2 Llanbedrs in the "area", the one you mention and the other to the west of Llanelwydd - about 40 miles?. This is Lampeter or Llanbedr Pont Steffan to give it its full name. It is also known more informally as Llambeth. As such "Llambeth" or the English pronunciation "Lambeth" might equally have been used for the Llanbedr you have identified to the South East of Llanelwedd and in old Radnorshire.

John Nicholas

Hello Helachau,

Wouldn't the bigger Lampeter have been in Carms or Cards rather than Radnor? Worth bearing in mind, I'm sure, but it occurs to me that these place names are essentially Llanbedr (church of Peter) and might have been subject to the same anglicisations as each other.

John

Sorry John - I thought that was what I was suggesting. Not that Llanbedr/Lampeter was a candidate (it's certainly not Radnorshire) but that "Lambeth", if used in one location as an alternative to Llanbedr, could apply equally in another area.

John Nicholas

Quote Originally Posted by helachau View Post
    Sorry John - I thought that was what I was suggesting. Not that Llanbedr/Lampeter was a candidate (it's certainly not Radnorshire) but that "Lambeth", if used in one location as an alternative to Llanbedr, could apply equally in another area.
    Oh, I seeeeeeee!
    John