TERRY STEPHENS

Default William John Stephens, H.M.S.Temeraire

Geoffers. I am looking for any info regarding my grandfather, William John Stephens, stoker aboard H.M.S.Temeraire @ the Battle of Jutland in 1916. I have read your blogs,& the navy list appears to ,maybe ,not have lower rates of that time. I believe his rate COULD have been p.o. Any info would be grateful. I am a civilian working for the Navy, so perhaps I could find some links there, what do you think? Thanks -Terry

Stephen Evans

Smile

This may be helpful

Naval-History.Net

Geoffers

Welcome to the B-G forums

Quote Originally Posted by TERRY STEPHENS
    Geoffers. I am looking for any info regarding my grandfather, William John Stephens, stoker aboard H.M.S.Temeraire @ the Battle of Jutland in 1916.
    First step - do you have his service record? - See TNA's documents online, these hits occur for William John STEPHENS

Your chap does not appear in the Navy List in 1916

TNA's catalogue is throwing a wobbly at the moment, but you should be able to locate the files with the ship's logs (ADM53) and there may be a list of casualties (ADM1).

Paul Benyon's web-site has lots of interesting bits and pieces, including Jane' 1919

neil1821

The service record really is the first place to go, as Geoffers says.
    All else can follow from that.
    The Navy Lists are simply officer lists and hence he wouldn't appear there

Temeraire was at Jutland but suffered no damage and no casualties.

laszlo1962

Default Appleton

Quote Originally Posted by TERRY STEPHENS View Post
    Geoffers. I am looking for any info regarding my grandfather, William John Stephens, stoker aboard H.M.S.Temeraire @ the Battle of Jutland in 1916. I have read your blogs,& the navy list appears to ,maybe ,not have lower rates of that time. I believe his rate COULD have been p.o. Any info would be grateful. I am a civilian working for the Navy, so perhaps I could find some links there, what do you think? Thanks -Terry
    I am researching my great grandfather 'John Appleton' who was also serving aboard the Temeraire as a 'stoker/fireman'! But he went missing somewhere between 1914 - 1918 none of the family ever seen him again?? have tried finding naval crew lists but to no avail!!

Geoffers

Welcome to the B-G forums

To help you get used to using The National Archives (TNA) web-site, I have typed out the process you need to try first of all......

Quote Originally Posted by laszlo1962
    I am researching my great grandfather 'John Appleton' who was also serving aboard the Temeraire as a 'stoker/fireman'! But he went missing somewhere between 1914 - 1918 none of the family ever seen him again?? have tried finding naval crew lists but to no avail!!
    The place to start is The National Archives (TNA) web-site - you need the section called 'Documentsonline' - you can find it by clicking here

On the left of the screen is a series of titles under 'Quick Links' - click on 'Navy' and you should get to this page

There are a series of different links now. Try the second link down and click on 'Registers of Seamen's Services (ADM139, ADM188) you'll get to this page

Read the page

Now click on the third word of the first paragraph 'search'

Fill in the details that you know. To begin with just try entering the name
    In the forename field enter - jo*n (this will allow for variant spellings and Jonathan/on)
    In the surname enter - Appleton
    Then search, you should get 14 hits on 2 pages

The place and date of birth are given - do these tie up with any known facts about your chap?

If not, what was your chap's date of birth? Did he marry whilst in the RN? Do you have any medals from him from WW1?

The crew list for HMS Temeraire at the Battle of Jutland.
    https://www.jutlandcrewlists.org/temeraire