Starting to feel at home N@alie's Avatar

Question Cause of death seems incomplete

Hello all

Looking at the cause of death of a 49 year old lady in 1906, all it says is:

Internal Haemorrhage
    Shock

I would have thought that 'something' would have caused the haemorrhage and been stated on the certificate. I understand that internal bleeding can cause shock which can be fatal, but seems strange that no reason for it was given.

Reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by N@alie View Post
    I understand that internal bleeding can cause shock which can be fatal, but seems strange that no reason for it was given.
    Haemorrhage causes a decrease in the volume of blood which leads to severely reduced arterial blood pressure which is what 'shock' means in this context. As you say, something must have caused the haemorrhage but what it was isn't stated. Statements of causes of death were pretty rough and ready in those days. In fact, they probably still are unless there's something high-profile or suspicious about it.

Starting to feel at home N@alie's Avatar

Hi Peter

Thanks for your reply. I thought that might be the case, she'd passed away and no reason for anyone to look any further for a basic cause.

Adnepos_Iacobi

Default No reason to look further

Hi Peter -I think you are right. You should be able to exclude causess of death that would require a post-mortem examination. For instance, inthose days, a PM would usually not be performed if a patient died after an operation. The most likely source of bleeding would be within the abdomen -liver, spleen...