Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Otley Hannams

Hannam_girl

Default Otley Hannams

Hi there, I've been away for a while but now I've got the bug again!
    I am still looking for the family of Thomas Hannam, b abt 1800, who lived and married in Leeds around 1830/40. I now have a new lead and wonder if anybody is able to do a look-up for me (I live in Australia).
    I would like to know about the birth of a girl Hannam in 1837, Sub District Otley, Registered at Leeds, Ref Otle/1/73.
    Was there any mining in or around Otley?
    If there are any other Hannam family members from around Otley, please contact me.
    I have found a Mary A. Hannam who died in Otley in 1838 (Ref Otle/1/207) and some others that might just be the key to my problem.
    Thanks for any help!!!! Hannam girl

Nicolina

the 1841 Census has:
    Nelson Street, Otley
    HANNAM, Thomas b.abt. 1796 occ: Ag Lab
    HANNAM, Susannah b.abt. 1801
    HANNAM, William b.abt. 1821 occ: Wheelwright
    HANNAM, Susannah b.abt. 1826
    HANNAM, Esther b.abt. 1827
    HANNAM, Sarah b.abt. 1832
    HANNAM, Thomas b.abt. 1835
    all born in Yorkshire

Nicolina

by 1851 the family were at Brooks Hill
    HANNAM, Thomas b. abt. 1795 in Greenhowhill, Yorkshire occ: Rowler Coverer Stuff
    HANNAM, Mary b. abt. 1798 in Greenhowhill, Yorkshire occ: Rowler Coverer Stuff
    HANNAM, Mary Daughter b. abt. 1828 in Greenhowhill, Yorkshire occ: Power Loom Weaver Stuff
    HANNAM, Edmund Son b. abt. 1831 in Greenhowhill, Yorkshire occ: Power Loom Weaver Stuff
    HANNAM, Edmund Son b. abt. 1834 in Skyerholm, Yorkshire occ: Power Loom Weaver Stuff
    HANNAM, Hannah Daughter b. abt. 1837 in Skyerholm, Yorkshire occ: Spinner Worsted
    HANNAM, Alice Daughter b. abt. 1839 in Skyerholm, Yorkshire occ: Spinner Worsted

could Hannah be your girl HANNAM born 1837?

Nicolina

have just noticed that there appear to be 2 sons called Edmund. Also that the 1841 & 1851 Census entries don't seem to match. Back to the drawingboard.

Brick wall demolition expert! ChristineR's Avatar

During 1841 the family emigrated to New Zealand.
    There is some background info in Hannum girl's intro thread.

https://www.british-genealogy.com/for...ad.php?t=25830

I have closed that thread, in case it gets revived, as that board is for only saying hello.
    ChristineR

Famous for offering help & advice

Quote Originally Posted by Hannam_girl View Post
    Was there any mining in or around Otley?
    Hi Hannam_girl

Otley isn't a mining town, but I saw a mention of Pateley Bridge in your other thread, and there used to be a lot of lead mining round there. I think the nearest you'd find to mining in Otley would be stone quarrying on the hillside above the town (Otley Chevin) - the foundation stones of the Houses of Parliament are said to have come from there.

In the 1830s men with mining experience could have found themselves building railways, digging tunnels etc. There's a major tunnel at Bramhope, close to Otley, but it wasn't started until 1845. Many men were killed during the work; a search for "Bramhope railway tunnel memorial Otley" should produce a picture of their memorial - it's quite impressive.

Arthur

Hannam_girl

Default Otley Hannams

Hello and thanks for all those responses
    The family I am looking for, as mentioned before, only appears in the 1841 census in Rotherhithe but without Thomas, the husband,who had already left for NZ.
    I am still trying to find out where they originated. Thomas & Mary (Simpson) got married in Leeds on 1.12.1832 at St.Peters. Their first child, William is baptised there on 29.10.1833. The second child, Sarah, born abt 1837 I could not find and thought it might be the Otley girl, but doesnt look like it.
    Mary's father appears to be Anthony Simpson, who seems to have died in 1862 in Leeds Southeast.
    Thomas was a miner, he worked on the Rotherhithe tunnel in London and I suppose he might have worked on other tunnels as well.
    I am clutching at straws, totally stuck and any help would be great.
    I have found an Ester and a Henry Simpson who are in 1881 inmates in the Leeds Union Workhouse. Could they be related?
    I would love to have a look at records myself, but I live in Oz and that is not possible. Can anybody help??????Dee

Exclamation Be careful!

Please could you tell us a bit more about what you know? I've just looked at the 1841 census - are you saying that your Mary is Mary Hanam (sic) at Neptune Court, Rotherhithe - HO107/1067/4 fo36 p25? The thing is, she and her children were all said to have been born in Surrey. I know census entries are sometimes wrong, but that entry on its own isn't enough to link the family to Yorkshire.

So, where is the Yorkshire connection mentioned? Passenger/immigration records? NZ death records? Without more evidence, there's no guarantee that you're following the right family here.

For now I'd be inclined to put the Simpsons in the Leeds workhouse on one side. It's quite a common surname, and as it's nearly 50 years after Mary Simpson's marriage it seems to me rather unlikely that there's a connection.

Arthur

Hannam_girl

Default Otley Hannams

Hello Arthur and everybody else,
    I didn't want to clog up this site with repeats, but this is what I know.
    After Thomas Hannam (a miner by trade) & Mary Simpson married in Leeds, they have two children, William & Sarah. William is born at Banks in Leeds on 4.10.1833. Later on, they appear in Rotherhithe. Thomas is working on the Brunel Tunnel as a foreman. They live at Neptune Court and this is where a third child, John, dies aged 3 on 14.12.1840. The parentage is confirmed.
    Thomas is employed by the New Zealand Company as a foreman to go to NZ on board the "Whitby" to assist in surveying the south island. He leaves from Gravesend on 27.4.1841. This, as well as their address is confirmed by the records of the NZ Company. Mary and the children stay behind and are cared for by the NZ Co, they follow Thomas on board the "Lloyds" on 11.9.1841. This is confirmed by the ships records and the arrival in NZ.
    In NZ, the further events are indisputable.
    I have so far been unable to trace the parents and origins of Thomas or Mary although I believe they must be from around Leeds. I have a few clues that I have not been able to follow either.
    1.the marriage witnesses were :
    a) Joseph Young, born 1780 in Bramham North, Yorkshire who married Hannah Stevens on 31.12.1800 in Bramham North and had a son, Charles, born 1821 in Bramham North, Yorkshire.
    b)John Leland, who had a son, Richard Leland, christened on 24.11.1801 in Pateley Bridge
    This together with his occupation,points to Thomas coming from that area.
    2. Anthony Simpson of the Bank, Leeds (where Thomas's son was born!) is the father of Mary, born 10.3.1806 or 8, baptised at Saint Peters where she later gets married.
    3. Mary in her death certificate is stated as born in Yorkshire, not Surrey.
    4. William's birth certificate states "The Bank, Leeds", also not Surrey.

I am pretty certain, my facts are correct but never the less keep drawing a blank.
    If I can find Thomas or Mary's families, I am more than willing to supply them with all subsequent information, which is quite a lot and very interesting.
    Can you or anybody help to point me in the right direction? I am not trying to do it "on the cheap", but at the same time I can't afford to willy nilly order cd's or records without a reasonable belief they are relevant.
    Kind regards Dee, aka Hannam_girl (without a clue!!!)

Hi Dee

This is helpful, thank you. To answer my earlier question, the really important thing is that Mary's death certificate mentions Yorkshire, so you may well be on the right lines here. Incidentally, does Thomas's death certificate say anything useful? Or the shipping records - I've only looked at a few, and they're probably not all the same, but do they ever give place of birth?

Anyway, I thought I needed to comment on this...

Quote Originally Posted by Hannam_girl View Post
    I have so far been unable to trace the parents and origins of Thomas or Mary although I believe they must be from around Leeds. I have a few clues that I have not been able to follow either.
    1.the marriage witnesses were :
    a) Joseph Young, born 1780 in Bramham North, Yorkshire who married Hannah Stevens on 31.12.1800 in Bramham North and had a son, Charles, born 1821 in Bramham North, Yorkshire.
    b)John Leland, who had a son, Richard Leland, christened on 24.11.1801 in Pateley Bridge
    This together with his occupation,points to Thomas coming from that area.
    Full marks for trying to research marriage witnesses, but it can be a hit-and-miss business. The thing is, particularly for a marriage in 1832, you'd only get a signature in the register (or "X" mark and name) - so I'm not sure how you can say how old they were, who they married and who their children were.

I haven't come across a place in Yorkshire called "Bramham North", but would I be right in thinking that you're referring to Bramham, about 10 miles NE of Leeds - and possibly the northern part of the parish, which later became a separate parish and is now known as Boston Spa? If so, then it's by no means impossible that there's a connection to my ancestor Christopher Young (c1718-1802), who was a tailor in the adjacent parish of Thorp Arch. I haven't come across a Joseph or Charles Young, but I haven't yet traced all his descendants. However, at least two of Christopher's sons did live in Bramham for a time.

One more thing:
    4. William's birth certificate states "The Bank, Leeds", also not Surrey.
    No birth certificates in 1833! Do you mean baptism entry from the parish register?

None of this gets you any closer to your Hannam/Simpson origins, I'm afraid - although if the Youngs in Bramham happened to be related you could be in luck: at that time Bramham was using Dade registers, which can give two or three generations of ancestors for each baptism entry, and fuller marriage and burial entries than are found elsewhere.

Arthur
    Last edited by arthurk; 07-11-2009 at 4:58 PM. Reason: typo

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast