Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Otley Hannams

Hannam_girl

Hello Sue and everybody else who has been trying to help. I just found all these messages again, got discouraged with my "Hannam's" for a while and bogged down with all the bits and pieces I was gathering. Still no definite clue about Thomas but I hope as time passes, somebody might know him. Still hoping................��

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Hi Dee,

Since you were last around the forum the GRO have released what they call the 'Historical births and deaths index'. It fills in the 'missing' details for births and deaths which appear in the later years. So we now have mother's maiden name for births from the beginning of the Index all the way through; and age at death, also from the beginning, instead of September quarter 1911 onwards for the mother's maiden name, and 1866 for age at death.
    https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/c...sp#OnlineIndex
    You have to register to access the Historical indexes, but you're only asked for credit card details if you order any certificates.
    https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/
    Talking of which - you can now order PDF copies of the entries in the historical indexes. They're sent by an email link, are black and white, and are uncertified, but contain all the details that the certified copies have. More detailed information
    https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/c...o_know.asp#PDF

The historical indexes show that the mother's maiden name of the unnamed female Hannam born in Otley registration district in December quarter 1837 was Bartle.
    And the Mary A Hannam who died in the same registration district in December quarter 1838 was Mary Ann Hannam, and she was aged 15 when she died.

The new indexes are still not 100% accurate - for example, it's known that entries for certain quarters in certain districts are missing - but they are helpful in finding siblings. Thanks to an entry on another site I was recently able to search the Historical Indexes and found three birth (using the mother's maiden name) and three death registrations for siblings of my grandfather who were born and died between the censuses.

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Famous for offering help & advice

Quote Originally Posted by Pam Downes View Post
    The historical indexes show that the mother's maiden name of the unnamed female Hannam born in Otley registration district in December quarter 1837 was Bartle.
    And the Mary A Hannam who died in the same registration district in December quarter 1838 was Mary Ann Hannam, and she was aged 15 when she died.
    Hi Dee

Just letting you know that I'm still around, though I'm not really up to speed on your query - I can't remember everything from 9-10 years ago!

Pam's post caught my eye with the mention of the surname Bartle, since that is one of my major interests. The birth she found may well be to Thomas Hannam and Susanna Bartle, who married in Otley on 4 Nov 1811. So if you're looking for Thomas and Mary, this may be the wrong family.

For the record, I've traced my Bartle family to the south side of Bradford, though they later spread to Leeds, and a couple ended up in the Otley/Wharfedale area. In the earliest records they are predominantly miners. But I think we're probably in the realm of coincidence at present, rather than a definite connection.

If you're still looking at the Pateley Bridge area, you might find it useful to look at the free records provided by the people behind the Calverley Info site at
    Code:
    https://www.calverley.info/
    Enter the site as directed, then at the bottom of the next page click the tab marked Nidderdale, which will take you to lots of lovely transcriptions etc.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123