Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Otley Hannams

Hannam_girl

Default Otley Hannams

Hello Arthur & everybody else!
    The age of Thomas & Mary is a bit dodgy as well, as they had to be under 30 to go to NZ.
    On the passenger list, Thomas is 29 in 1841, which means born abt 1812.
    He dies age 65 in 1865, so that means born abt 1800.His death certificate does not state where.
    Mary in the 1841 census is 30, born abt 1811.
    She dies age 1877, age 70, which means born abt 1807.
    If she is the daughter of Anthony Simpson, then according to LDS, she was born 10.3.1806 (sometimes mentioned as 10.3.1808 which is more believeable since she was baptised on 5.6.1808 at Saint Peters, Leeds).
    There is a faint chance she was the daughter of Benjamin Simpson. In that case she was born 6.7.1807 and baptised on 9.8.1807 at Saint Peters. Source also LDS.
    I do not own the birth record of William, their son, it belongs to somebody else, so I assume it was a parish register entry.
    I tried to trace the marriage witnesses just to get some idea of the area Thomas lived in, I haven't been to Yorkshire, but I believe there is no mining in Leeds itself, but in the Wakefield and Pateley Bridge area.
    As far as I know Hannams were a large family, so surely, somebody must be related to Thomas!
    Anyway, all a bit of a mystery!
    See ya, Dee (still no clue!!)

Famous for offering help & advice

Hi again Dee

I've now had a look at the IGI, and I think you might have a reasonable chance of finding Thomas's parents. I know the IGI doesn't include everyone, but searching for the birth/christening of Thomas Hannam (& variants) in Yorkshire in 1795 +/- 10 years produces only 5 results. Three of these are in Nidderdale (Pateley Bridge, Hampsthwaite and Thornthwaite); the other two are near Wetherby (Spofforth and Kirk Deighton), so not far from Bramham which you mentioned before. If you can try to find out what happened to each of these Thomases, you might be able to work out which of them couldn't have gone to NZ. If at all possible you need to repeat the process with any entries in the British Vital Records Index and the pre-1837 non-conformist registers, both of which are available on pay-to-view websites.

With Mary Simpson, the situation isn't as easy. For 1806 +/- 2 years the IGI produces 129 entries from Yorkshire. (Some are admittedly duplicates, or births with a corresponding baptism, but there are still rather a lot.) Whizzing through the list rather quickly I found about 10-12 in the immediate Leeds area - but remember that the further from Leeds she got, the more likely she might have been to give her birthplace as Leeds rather than a much smaller place a few miles away.

Some of these Leeds area entries were so close in date that I wouldn't like to say which might be the right one. To try to narrow it down, do you know of any records of brothers and sisters? Or any known cousins who might have emigrated as well? This looks like a long job, I'm afraid, and one which would cause headaches even to someone on the spot.

Arthur

Hannam_girl

Default Otley Hannams

Hi Arthur,
    thanks for that. I will have a crack at checking this out.
    As you say, this is headache stuff. I have been on this particular case for 4 years now. Every now and then I get discouraged, but unless I can find Thomas's family I can't progress as you know. The rest of the family tree goes back to 1640 odd and I am careful not to create "Grims Fairytales", so check everything from all possible angles.
    Are there any parish records for the Weatherby and Nidderdale areas that might help, do you think?
    I don't know of any definite brothers or sisters, although there is a funny coincedence. Where Thomas settled in NZ was unusual, he got a small farm going. A few plots along from him was a Joseph Hannam of a similar age. Hannam was an unusual Name at the time. I have tried to trace that Joseph as well, but he went feral and was good at covering his tracks. There were three original Hannam families as early settlers in NZ, two on the north island which are well researched but don't seem to relate to my family and then my lot on the south island which hadn't been traced by anybody. Turns out this branch are the "Mayflower people" of NZ! We now have a tree of about 4000 people, so when and if I find Thomas's family there is a lot to exchange.
    In the meantime, I will plod on. See ya, Dee

Hi Dee

I don't have any transcripts for those parishes myself, but if there are any available, the most likely FH societies would be the Ripon Historical Society & FH Group (for Nidderdale) and the Harrogate & District FHS for Wetherby etc. There's also the Yorkshire Archaeological Society: its FH Section covers mainly the Leeds area, but there's also a Parish Register section which has published transcriptions for many (but not all) parishes in the whole of Yorkshire. There are also a number of non-society publishers - see this page and then either browse or try a parish name in the search box.

Arthur

Hannam_girl

Default Otley Hannams

Hello Arthur, you've got me hooked again! I spent most of yesterday tracking those Thomases. I couldn't find the Hampstwaite one, but I have come to the conclusion the most likely is the Spofforth Thomas. Reasons are:
    1.)his father is William, which would explain why Thomas named his first son William
    2.)the batch number on the IGI record leads to ten more Hannums, eight of which appear to be his siblings, but the same batch number also links to 20 Simpsons, one of which is a Mary, christened 14.5.1799 in Spofforth, father John, which could exlain why the second son was named "John"
    3.)if Mary was born 1799, then that ties in with her death certificate
    4.)lots of people from Spofforth appear to have moved to Leeds.
    I will get hold of the Harrogate FHS, they have CD's of Banns & Marriages as well as Baptisms & Burials for 12pound each, dating back to 1585, but before I order them I'll do a bit more research to make sure this is the most likely cenario.
    What do you think? I've also been going through all sorts of noticeboards to find out about Spofforth. No mining, just farming.
    Anyway, it's a possibility. See ya Dee

Hi again

What you suggest seems fairly logical, although naming patterns can't always be relied on. It might be interesting to look at census returns for any Hannams still living in and around Spofforth to see what kind of jobs they were doing. I know you won't find Thomas there, but if most of them were ag labs or doing some other physical work, then him becoming a tunneler of some kind is reasonably similar. If the Hannams tended to be doctors or lawyers etc, you might need to rethink. (But again, this is more like circumstantial evidence than anything concrete.)

However, I noticed what appears to be an inconsistency in what you wrote. Earlier you wrote:
    Quote Originally Posted by Hannam_girl View Post
    Mary in the 1841 census is 30, born abt 1811.
    She dies age 1877, age 70, which means born abt 1807.
    and now you say:
    Quote Originally Posted by Hannam_girl View Post
    ... the same batch number also links to 20 Simpsons, one of which is a Mary, christened 14.5.1799 in Spofforth, father John, which could exlain why the second son was named "John"
    3.)if Mary was born 1799, then that ties in with her death certificate.
    That's quite a difference, and with a common surname like Simpson, one that shouldn't just be discounted.

Something that I haven't mentioned yet, which you might find helpful to look into, is wills and associated documents, since these often help to clarify relationships. Most Yorkshire ones are at the Borthwick Institute (part of the Univeristy of York) and for this period there are indexes online at British Origins. It would be worth checking Documents Online at The National Archives as well: they have wills from the Prerogative Court of Canterbury (superior to the York courts, and includes some from Yorkshire), and for some dates they also have images of the Death Duty Registers covering the whole country.

Hope this helps - have fun!

Arthur

Nicolina

there was a Thomas HANNAM christened at Hampsthwaite on 14th May 1809, parents William and Ann of Redlish. They also appear to have had a son, Michael, christened 10th February 1811.

Hannam_girl

Default Otley Hannams

Hi everybody, yes, you are right, that info about Mary is out..........
    I am still working my way through those Thomases and have definitely eliminated one of them now, the Kirk Deighton one, that leaves four to go. I am trying to get access to my 90 day free trial at Ancestry which would allow my to check the census records, the Borthwick Institute and Archives I will have a go at tomorrow, had a rather busy day today and got around to no genealogy at all.
    Thanks Nicolina for the Hampstwaith Thomas infro, I hadn't been able to find him, but will have a go at him tomorrow as well. It is good to know about his brother Michael, if a straight line won't get me there, maybe a curved one will.
    I'll let you know how I fare tomorrow, See ya, Dee

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Hello, how did you get on with your Thomas search in NZ?
    There were 3 lines that came to NZ, 2 were related, one wasnt according to my grandmother.
    I'll try and source the info she left me.

Quote Originally Posted by BHannam View Post
    Hello, how did you get on with your Thomas search in NZ?
    There were 3 lines that came to NZ, 2 were related, one wasnt according to my grandmother.
    I'll try and source the info she left me.
    Hallo BHannam and a warm welcome to British Genealogy. Hannam_girl doesn't appear to have visited the forum since 2009, but hopefully she won't have changed her e-mail and your post will trigger an e-mail alert. You could try clicking on her username and sending her a private message. Meanwhile, now you are here, try taking a look round the rest of the forum!
    Sue Mackay
    Insanity is hereditary - you get it from your kids

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast