Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: McPhersons

maryq

Default McPhersons

Hi, I am searching for info. for Donald McPherson,s son John born 1791, I believe in Cowal, could be elsewhere in Argyll . He married a Mary Black[ born 1777 ]in Rothesay Bute 1812. Ended up in Glasgow. I found a possible match but it is in Auldearn . How far is that from Cowal? Hoping for some leads as to their origin. Thanks, maryq

JAP1

Hello maryq and welcome,

There are many online maps e.g. streetmap, multimap which will help you to orientate yourself in Scotland, and to find how far apart various places are.

Another good source is the GENUKI website.
    The following shows Scottish counties:
    https://www.genuki.org.uk/big/sct/#Counties
    As you will see from it, the counties of Argyll and of Bute are adjacent but the county of Nairn (which - as you can see from the IGI entry - is where Auldearn is) is in quite a different and distant part of Scotland.

It helps people to help you if you provide all the information you have.
    Do you have the parish entry for the 1812 marriage to which you refer? If so, what does it say.
    Where did you get the birth dates you cite for John and Mary if you don't have the records of their births?

Are they approximate dates from censuses? If so, could you please point us in the direction of those census records?

Did John & Mary have children, and do you have those records? Sometimes naming patterns of children can help.

Sorry to pose so many questions but it is hard to try to help without further information.

Best of luck,

JAP

DRosebud

1851 Scotland Census
    Parish: Rothesay; ED: 24; Page: 5; Line: 13; Roll 604
    Parish Number: 558
    Civil parish: Rothesay
    County: Bute
    Address: Gartna Kille

John McPherson 60 Farmer of 70 Acres
    Mary McPherson 59 Wife
    John McPherson 30
    James McPherson 22
    Mary McPherson 20
    Jane McPherson 18
    Mary McFarlane 5 Niece

All born Rothesay Bute

on the same page

Hugh Black Head abt 1805 b Greenock Renfrewshire
    Agnes Black wife abt 1806 b Irvine, Ayrshire

Do agree with JAP, more information would be helpful.
    Regards, Deborah

JAP1

Hi Deborah,

The submitted 1812 marriage in Rothesay Bute for John MC PHERSON & Mary BLACK lists his father as Donald, and her father as James.

So we really do need more information.

JAP

DRosebud

Hello JAP,

Absolutely agree and even more so with marriage submission! Was waiting to see what Maryq had to say in response to your questions.

Should have added to my post #3, POSSIBLE family connection if Maryq has some verified evidence. Thanks for that, Deborah

JAP1

Hi Deborah,

Let's hope that maryq will come back with some info.

Though, given her location, she's probably asleep now - as I should be!!

Cheers,

JAP

maryq

Smile McPhersons

Hello, Thankyou to all who replied to my query re John McPherson.
    I actually was researching my Diamond ancestors in Glasgow and found Agnes Diamond [neeMcPherson] and her family in 1851 census living with her parents John @ Mary McPherson in Gorbals Lanarkshire. It gives John @Marys birth place as Cowal Argyllshire. I then found their marriage on Scotlands people.. 20 Oct.1812 in Rothesay listing his father as Donald from Scalpsy, and hers as James Black. Some words I cant decipher. I wonder about the age difference in census, Mary 14 years older [born 1777]
    I found a daughter Ann McPherson born in Little Kilmory also on Scotlands People, but I am convinced this is the Agnes referred to above as ages match. My problem is the only John McPherson born 1791 with father Donald seems to have been born in Auldearn. Apparently he was a twin with mother listed as Christan Callum, but as I mentioned on census they give birth place as Cowal and I cannot verify this anywhere. I dont know where to go from here.
    Would be most greatful for any suggestions.
    Regards and Thanks maryq.

DRosebud

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by maryq View Post
    I actually was researching my Diamond ancestors in Glasgow and found Agnes Diamond [neeMcPherson] and her family in 1851 census living with her parents John @ Mary McPherson in Gorbals Lanarkshire. Would be most greatful for any suggestions.
    Regards and Thanks maryq.
    Hello maryq,

Glad to have more information to help you and just had a look at the 1851 Census record of John McPherson over my tea. Just waking up in the states before work so will search this evening though am sure JAP or another wonderful sleuth will have already taken another look by then!

Deborah

JAP1

Default Off to Bed?

Hi Deborah,

This sleuth, in the Antipodes, is thinking of taking an early mark and going off to bed!!

JAP

DRosebud

Lightbulb

Hello JAP,

A well deserved rest I am sure! Will see what I can find out for maryq.

Deborah

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast