Famous for offering help & advice michaelpipe's Avatar

Default Web Design/Hosting problem

Can anyone assist? My sister recently asked a Singapurian Web Page Designer to create a site for her charitable wildlife organization in Indonesia. He has registered a domain name and after much 'persuasion' produced a home page. A payment was made in advance in good faith, but the progress has been slow (should have been complete Aug/Sept), and the product so far does not meet any of the requested criteria.

My question is this (knowing nothing of this subject myself):

As he (the web page designer/creator) has created a page that is currently on the internet, would the domain name be registered in his name or in the name of my sister's organisation? Excuse my ignorance, but do I also assume that he would have arranged Web Hosting with a third party?

Can a domain name be cancelled, and if so, how, and by whom?
    The object of this would be to scrap the deal and employ the services of someone else to create the site.

Any suggestions?
    Michael

Suffolk Pipe – one tree

bobbyfamilytree

Hi Michael,

I think this place may show details about the owner.. Just enter the url
    https://whois.domaintools.com/

If he has registered it in his own name you (your sis i mean) may have problems unless he aggrees to transfer ownership.

Just to be careful when choosing someone to do this kinda stuff, see what they have done before, google them a bit before hand, ask Q's etc, etc. Dont assume anything from website designers, there are plenty good ones, but plenty dodgy ones too.

Bobby in Adelaide.

Famous for offering help & advice michaelpipe's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bobbyfamilytree View Post
    Hi Michael,

I think this place may show details about the owner.. Just enter the url
    https://whois.domaintools.com/

If he has registered it in his own name you (your sis i mean) may have problems unless he aggrees to transfer ownership.
    Thanks Bobby - already done that and all I get is the owner as PrivacyProtect.org with an address in Holland.
    So that takes me nowhere. However when finding that website there is a facility for requesting the registrants name, but that will depend on the cooperation of the web designer, and that may not be forthcoming.
    Michael

Suffolk Pipe – one tree

I would ask these questions:
    1. Where is the name registered? (Different countries have different domain registrars, the whois will only pick up those in that country).
    2. Where is the site hosted? You may need to transfer it to a low cost hosting server.
    3. Release of the hosting FTP log in details (should be interesting, done this myself and depending on who hosting the site, you will need written correspondance to lease the details/ownership to you from him).
    4. Once in control, ask a local PC shop if they know of anyone locally to help with a charity web site.
    5. email settings - does the server support email, especially webform (this stops a lot of spam as the email isn't displayed on a web page.

Good luck