Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shelleysgirl

Default MOSES MURRAY'S WIFE ESSEX

HI. I'm not sure if this qualifies as a Brick Wall as I am new to this, but all advice gratefully received. I am trying to work out who my Grandfathers Mother was. I know his Grandfather was Moses Murray(b: 1828 Ramsden, d: c1917 Orsett) and he was 'married' to Louisa(b: 1830, d: 1911) but their daughter seems to be missing from my information. I, like many others, am on limited funds and am trying to get as much info before requesting certificates to avoid spending out for ones that are definately not relevant. Here is my first dilemma:
    1891 Census – RG12 1383 59 8
    Victoria Cottage, Wickford, Essex
    MOSES MURRAY – AGE 62 – CARRIER & COAL MERCHANT
    LOUISA MURRAY – AGE 61 - WIFE
    HERBERT C HERVEY – SON IN LAW – AGE 26 – RAILWAY LABOURER – B: NEVENDON
    ARTHUR W HERVEY –GRANDSON – AGE 5 – B: BILLERICAY
    The Name should have been Harvey and Arthurs birth record shows it as such but I cannot trace the mothers Christian Name, or any of Moses and Luoisas other children, if any. I am not sure if Louisa was a second wife as this seems to have been a late union.

There are 2 Moses possibilities on the 1881 Census as he is recorded as unmarried and living/ visiting his Mother Susannah with his brother Benjamin at Ramsden. There is also another Moses here:
    1881 Census – RG11 1755 47 7
    Pump Street, Horndon on Hill, Essex
    MOSES MURRY RECORDED AS FATHER TO OSBORN CHILDREN
    ELIZABETH MURRY
    FREDERICK OSBORN, AGE 16, EDITH OSBORN, AGE 6, HARRY OSBORN, AGE 13, ARTHUR OSBORN, AGE 3, WILLIAM OSBORN, AGE 11, JOSEPH OSBORN, AGE 9

The reason for suspecting this could be him is that on 1871 Census he appeared here:
    1871 Census – RG10 1654 129
    Jefferies – Orsett, Stanford Le Hope
    MOSES MURRAY – BORN NEVENDON
    ELIZABETH MURRAY – AGE 30 BORN RAMSDEN
    SUSAN MURRAY – AGE 6 BORN NORTH BENFLEET
    By 1881 Susan seems to have disappeared and been replaced by the Osborn Children? Yet I have been unable to find a record of her death.

Apologies if I have not given enough info, or too much or just plain confusing. Can anyone please help?

Brick wall demolition expert!

Louisa, the "wife" of Moses Murray on the 1891 & 1901 census appears as the wife of George Harvey on the 1881 census.

George Harvey 50
    Louisa Harvey 51, b. Nevendon, Essex, England
    Martha Harvey 12
    Herbert C. Harvey 10

Civil parish: Nevendon
    County/Island: Essex
    RG11; Piece: 1759; Folio: 38; Page: 5

Adele

On the 1891 census, Herbert C Harvey's status as son-in-law to Moses Murray means step-son.

Adele

Deaths Sep 1878
    MURRAY Elizabeth 37 Orsett 4a 145

At the death of her mother Susan would have been of working age and so probably went into service

1881 census

Henry C. LONG,Head,71,Corringham,Farmer 900 Acres Empl 33 Men 8 Boys
    Elizabeth BUNTER,No Relation,61,St Lawrence, Kent, Housekeeper
    Jane GROVER,Servant, 24,Corringham, Essex, Cook Domestic
    Susan R. MURRAY, Servant,16, North Benfleet, Essex,Housemaid Domestic

"The Hall", Corringham, Essex
    RG11 1755 / 7 / 7

The death I got from FreeBMD
    https://www.freebmd.org.uk/
    The 1881 census from LDS which is free
    https://www.familysearch.org/ENG/sear...rch_census.asp

Shelleysgirl

Thanks Adele, I was just about to ask about the 'son in law' part when your second post came up. Now I need to follow up George. I had come across that listing but because of Moses being listed as the Grandfather on the later Census results, I foolishly or stubbornly kept harking back to his family. I am still after Herberts wifes name and now it looks like I need her surname as well, so I shall focus on that side. Very impressed with the speed of your reply LOL

Shelleysgirl

Hi Raffaelle. Thanks for that. Most of my info comes from those two points of research, which are great. I have bought credits for a couple of sites at various times and got carried away with myself, hence the caution now.

This is probably the birth certificate of your grandfather, which will give you his mother's name:

Births Mar 1886
    HARVEY Arthur William Billericay 4a 407

Adele

Shelleysgirl

PS to Raffaelle. Sometimes I forget when looking at Data that old, that people left home and worked etc at much earlier ages. Suspending today's sensiblilities and assumptions makes the research easier to understand. Thanks again

Shelleysgirl

Thanks again Adele. Based on your own experience what is the bets way to apply for this. Online or in person?

The birth certificate for Arthur William Harvey should prove interesting, as I cannot find a marriage for his father Herbert C Harvey prior to 1886.

Herbert C Harvey is born c1871 on the 1881, 1891 and 1901 census records.

This may be Herbert's birth registration:

Births Mar 1871
    Harvey Herbert Charles Billericay 4a 181

which would mean that Herbert was about 15 years old when son Arthur was born.

Herbert Harvey does appear as married to an Ada on the 1901 census and this is probably their marriage registration:

Marriages Sep 1900
    Harvey Herbert Charles Billericay 4a 843
    Smith Ada Mary Billericay 4a 843

Adele

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast