Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Melbourne Aust. ~ a drop kick away from the Essendon Airport - 9 miles out of Melbourne

Default Some techie help please

You can also do it this way

Go to this Site and view the set-up

https://newsbeat.webs.com/2_columns.html

----

Here is the code

<html>

<br><br>
    <center>

<table border=5 bordercolor="#0000FF"cellspacing=5 page width="90%"><tr><td>

<table>

<blockqoute>
    <tr>
    <td><font color=blue><font size=2>YOUR TEXT at LEFT

<p>

</td>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp ;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;

<td><font size=2>YOUR TEXT at RIGHT

<p>

<blockqoute>

</td></tr>
    </table>

<br><br>

</font>
    </html>

-------------------

Remove YOUR TEXT at LEFT and type in your text

You can also change color.

Note: Table width is at 90% - you can narrow the width.
    Last edited by Rove; 29-10-2009 at 11:17 PM. Reason: added note

busyglen

Thank you very much Neil, I'll have another go this afternoon. The only thing that caused me problems, was the fact that I was putting the name of a road on one side, which created a space on the other, and vice versa. I'm setting out the names and roads now before I start inputting so that I shall be able to go across without the lines jumping (hopefully).

Will let you know if I manage it.

Glenys

busyglen

Quote Originally Posted by arthurk View Post
    See - told you someone else would answer The fact that you're not going to change it helps, but the question about numbers was because I was wondering if it might be feasible when using a WYSIWYG (what you see is what you get) interface to do some kind of drag and drop.

What I had in mind was whether you could start with a simple table with one cell width and enter all the names. Then add a second column to the right, and drag the entries from the lower half of the first column into it; then delete the empty rows at the bottom of the table. However I don't know if this is even possible in Front Page. (Actually, from an appearance point of view, if the entries are only a surname and initials, then unless the text is fairly large I think you'd probably have room for 3 or even 4 columns, but that's up to you.)

The only other thing I could think of was to use a Monospace font such as Courier New, where every character is exactly the same width. It presumably wouldn't look the same as the rest of the page, but it does mean you can line things up without using tables.

Arthur
    Thank you very much for your contribution Arthur. It is always nice to hear of other ways to do the job, and worth remembering for the future.

Glenys

busyglen

Quote Originally Posted by Mutley View Post
    Thanks Neil, I was in a hurry and I knew I'd missed off a couple of </TD> somewhere.

That's what I did..... but I did not know.... that I should have done.

It is often difficult to show someone because if it works then they see it working and not the fiddly stuff that makes it work. That is how I knew I had it wrong. Neil's <*> shows how, the[*] does the job.
    Thanks again Mutters. You had more of an idea than I did.

Glenys

busyglen

Thank you Rove for that information. It's not quite suitable for what I am looking for, but is worth remembering for the future. There are so many different ways of doing things that I get quite confused at times, so when I find one that suits what I am aiming for, I tend to stick with it. I do have a folder in which I keep bits of coding that often come in handy at times, so again my thanks.

Glenys

David Benson

I did a similar thing with several columns a while back. All I did was to make up the list in Word (or Excel) and copy & past the entire list. Worked for me and I could also edit it and re-upload if I had a spelling mistake etc. Saved me trying to work out the HTML.

busyglen

Quote Originally Posted by David Benson View Post
    I did a similar thing with several columns a while back. All I did was to make up the list in Word (or Excel) and copy & past the entire list. Worked for me and I could also edit it and re-upload if I had a spelling mistake etc. Saved me trying to work out the HTML.
    I did think of this originally, David but I still had a problem in that it didn't seem to hold the line of names, when I pasted it. Probably something I did wrong! Also, I tried to adjust it, and of course, it all went awry! I should have altered it in Word and the copied and pasted again.

Never mind, I am in the throes of copying all of the names over again into the two columns, now that Mutley/Neil have shown me what to do. It seems to be working ok thank goodness.

Thanks for your idea.

Glenys

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12