prinnyroyalz

Default McLellands of Wigtownshire

The earliest entry in my mother's family bible is for the birth of Peter McLelland born, April 30th 1838 in Glenluce Wigtownshire. He married and died in Dewsbury Yorkshire where I was brought up. I am interested to find out more about my Scottish ancestry. Peters parents were John McLelland and Agnes Gardner. I have some cufusion over the McLellands, in 1841 Peter aged 3 lived with 2 brothers and parents John ( a shoemaker) and Agnes at Main Street Glenluce. In 1851 he seems to appear in the census twice! At his mothers address-Main Street Glenluce as an Agric. Lab.age 12, when his mother is recorded as a shoemakers wife, and at Officers Croft ,a farm about a mile from Main Street as a farm Servant age 12. His father still a shoemaker was a lodger then in Kirkmaiden at a farm and not at Main Street. In 1861 his father John is back at Main Street but as a Mole catcher! and living with 2 grandchildren surname Neill. When Peter died in Dewsbury in 1883 the informant was his nephew-surname Neill. I have no evidence that Peter had any sisters, and don't know how the Neills are related. Can anyone help?

Janet

prinnyroyalz

Default McLellands of Glenluce

I now know that Peter was the youngest of at least 11 children, and he did have sisters. I don't know which one married someone surname Neil. A John Neil and Agnes Neil lived with Peters parents, the grandaughter Agnes was born in Ireland and the grandson John in Glenluce. Perhaps their father came from Ireland? Can anyone help?

Janet Singleton.

Loves to help with queries

Hi Janet

Have just seen your post but unfortunately have to rush out, will come back later. In the meantime, have you tried typing in wigtownshire on the web? My Family come from Wigtownshire (Penninghame) and they have loads of info with details of Birth,Marriage Death etc, it's a real treasure chest.
    Good Luck
    Alison

Loves to help with queries

Hi again, had a chance to look at the census info. I'm confused as well and wonder if you have had a look on SP.

in 1841 Peter is living with parents John (age 60) & Agnes 40
    in 1851 Agnes is now 49 (haven't seen John's age)
    in 1861 John & Agnes both 60

Whilst her age is pretty consistant, John's does seem to, well....

My first impression because of the age difference in 1841 was that this was John's second marriage and perhaps John Neil is grandson from previous children? It's very possible there are other children from John and Agnes' relationship, in 1841 Agnes has potentially had 20+ years of childbirth.

Unfortunately I don;t have any credit left on SP but you can find if there are any more (registered) births there.

Good luck
    Alison

JAP1

The IGI has quite a few (extracted) records about this family.

Marriage, John MCLELLAND and Agnes GARDENER, 10 Mar 1818, Whithorn Wigtownshire
    The IGI has the following baptisms of children of this couple (surname variously rendered as MCLELLAND, MCLELLAN, MACLELLAND):
    * Robert, 6 Dec 1818, Wigtown
    * Mary, 2 Jul 1821, Wigtown
    * Elizabeth, 14 Sep 1823, Old Luce
    * Sarah, 18 May 1825, Old Luce
    * George, 25 Mar 1827, Old Luce
    * Samuel, 4 May 1829, Old Luce
    * George, 21 Aug 1831, Old Luce
    * Mary, 1 Sep 1833, Old Luce
    * John Clymont, 25 Oct 1835, Old Luce
    * Peter, 6 May 1838, Old Luce

Have you looked at the original of the 1841 census? Given that John is recorded as 53 in 1851, 63 in 1861 and 73 in 1871 (i.e. born ca 1798), it seems likely that the 60 in 1841 is a transcription error for 40.

John's birthplace is given as Kirkinner in the 1851 and 1861; there is an appropriate extracted entry in the IGI:
    John MCLELLAN, bap 11 Mar 1798, Kirkinner Wigtownshire, parents Robert MCLELLAN & Elizabeth KRACKEN.
    This fits with the naming patterns of John's children - 1st son Robert, 2nd daughter Elizabeth.

From the censuses, grandson John NEIL(L) was born ca 1847 in Old Luce.
    There is an appropriate entry in the IGI:
    John NEIL, bap 25 Jan 1847, Old Luce, parents William NEIL & Elisabeth MCLELLAN.

You can find their marriage in the IGI (William as MCNEEL).
    Also a child William George McLelland NEEL, 1848

Regards,

JAP

JAP1

Agnes's age is given as 40 in 1841 (ages were rounded down to the nearest 5 so this could mean a birthdate somewhere between 1797 and 1801), 49 in 1851 and 63 in 1861. Birthplace is Neilston Renfrewshire in 1851 and Udstree(?) Renfrew in 1861.

There is an appropriate entry in the IGI but it is a submitted entry.
    Agnes GARDNER b 4 June, bap 12 June 1796, Neilston Renfrewshire, parents George GARDNER & Mary ROBERTSON.
    This too fits the naming patterns of her children (1st daughter Mary, 2nd son George).

JAP

JAP1

Janet, Have you looked at the Wigtownshire Free Press Pages?
    Google for the site.

Here is a notice of the death of Agnes:
    "M'LELLAND/GARDNER, Agnes - D22/2/1863 - At Glenluce, on the 22d inst., Agnes Gardner, wife of Mr John M'Lelland, aged 64 years"

JAP

JAP1

Default Another thread about this family

This family is also being discussed on the following thread (started by a different poster):

https://www.british-genealogy.com/for...ad.php?t=19149

prinnyroyalz

Default McLellands

Many thanks for all that information. It is now all fitting together nicely.
    Has anyone any idea whether William Neil (McNeel) came from Ireland, as Agnes Neil is stated to have been born there in the 1861 census. Also, I don't know where William Neil or his wife Elizabeth Neil (McLelland) were in the 1861 census, any ideas?

janet.

prinnyroyalz

Default McLellands

I have found a William Neil in the 1861 census, living at Bnock Farm Old Luce,with his uncle George McClelland b.1831 brother of John and Elizabeth McLelland.Maybe his parents Elizabeth McLelland and William Neil had died? Where is the best place to look to find out?
    Thanks, Janet.