Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    MythicalMarian

Quote Originally Posted by Mutley View Post
    Ooooh! that will 'rattle them bones'.

Sounds possible to me.
    I have no doubt of it, Mut. The Deptford/New Cross lingo rubbed off on me - I still say 'Merrybone' myself. But London is a huge place with various accents.

Also - having had a squint at the 1911 now myself, Thomas hasn't put another county down for his 'Meybourn' - it strikes me that maybe he would have done if the 'Meybourn' was not in the London area. But that might just be me...

Knowledgeable and helpful

I had a look on the London marriages in case Thomas and wife were witnesses to any of the Loveridges marriages didnt spot anything (hoping to get her right name). There a few Thomas Loveridges on the medal card index/service and pension records.
    Julie

Mutley

Quote Originally Posted by MythicalMarian View Post
    I have no doubt of it, Mut. The Deptford/New Cross lingo rubbed off on me - I still say 'Merrybone' myself. But London is a huge place with various accents.

Also - having had a squint at the 1911 now myself, Thomas hasn't put another county down for his 'Meybourn' - it strikes me that maybe he would have done if the 'Meybourn' was not in the London area. But that might just be me...
    You are quite right the accents are so different. However, the costermongers as opposed to the cockneys spoke in their own language, which was backward.

On - No.
    Say - Yes.
    Tumble to your barrikin - Understand you.
    Top o' reeb - Pot of beer.

doog - good

So, I think she was born in Nruobyem!

richardstree

Things have moved on quite a lot since I last checked this thread.

I have looked at the Loveridge family which includes Polly and Jumbo before, still not sure whether they are related.

The Loveridge name seems to be all over Hale Street.

Thanks for the offer of looking at who lived at the address. This morning I subscribed to the 1911 census for 6 months, so have been able to look at all that were living there at the time.

MythicalMarian

Quote Originally Posted by Mutley View Post
    So, I think she was born in Nruobyem!

Thank goodness we've cleared that one up

Nicolina

there are a couple of possible births fro Susan SULLIVAN
    March 1885 in Marylebone District
    December 1890 in West Ham District
    plus Susannah March 1888 in St George in the East District

richardstree

Thanks for everyones help with Meybourn.

So far we have the possibility that Thomas Loveridge married Susan Sullivan.
    That Susan shows up on the 1891 census aged 6 years.
    That Sussa could also be Lussa/Lissa/Susan/Sussanah.
    That there is a possibility that Meybourn could be Maryleborn or Maybourne Hampshire.

My MIL's family is so very easy to research, she has so much information to give and the family have lived in a very small area for many generations.

My FIL on the other hand (which is the Loveridge side) is terrible. No one seems to know anything or if they do, they wont tell.

I knew my FIL, he died in 1998. I met his father Albert Loveridge, he didnt have a birth cert so had to go to court to be given a birth date, so that later on he could claim a pension - so the story goes. The date given was 1.1.1900. I have wondered if there would be a record of this and whether that record would have family details on it?

He married an Ethel Mary Ellingford-Baxter 25.12.1924. They lived at 5 and 23 Hales Street. Albert was a Labourer.

Alberts father is named as Thomas Loveridge (Labourer) on Alberts marr cert. Albert is recorded as being 22 and Ethel 18. Ethel was born 8.2.1908. Both ages dont fit their birth dates.

When my FIL was born Albert occupation was Hawker, they lived at 5 Hales Street

Albert has one remaining daughter, although she doesnt remember anything at all about her family.

The name Jumbo came up when I last visited my MIL - that is the only connection with Jumbo. She also mentioned Polly and that Albert sold fruit with her on the road side.

Polly and Jumbo could be no more than family friends, it is hard to get to the bottom of that story.

So on my husbands fathers side of the family, we know his father (John), his grandfather (Albert) and grandmother (Ethel). His great grandfather (Thomas). The trail then goes cold.

I had hoped that Meybourn might have meant something to someone which would have given me a positive feeling that i was looking at the correct Thomas Loveridge.

Every time I think I am getting somewhere with this branch I just seem to go back to Thomas Loveridge, DOB unknown, wifes name unknown. Other children unknown.

I have been researching this side of the family for about 5 years now and never get any further than I am at this stage, I think I have made a breakthrough but Thomas Loveridge could be one of many Thomas Loveridges that crop up. The Ellingford-Baxters are very easy to research back.

If I had the name of a known brother or sister for Albert Loveridge this could be the turning point, but no one at all is willing to give up a single detail about him.

Thank you all for your help, something in this thread might be the missing piece of the puzzle.

Wirral

Quote Originally Posted by richardstree View Post
    I met his father Albert Loveridge, he didnt have a birth cert so had to go to court to be given a birth date, so that later on he could claim a pension - so the story goes. The date given was 1.1.1900. I have wondered if there would be a record of this and whether that record would have family details on it?

He married an Ethel Mary Ellingford-Baxter 25.12.1924. They lived at 5 and 23 Hales Street. Albert was a Labourer.

Alberts father is named as Thomas Loveridge (Labourer) on Alberts marr cert. Albert is recorded as being 22 and Ethel 18. Ethel was born 8.2.1908. Both ages dont fit their birth dates.

When my FIL was born Albert occupation was Hawker, they lived at 5 Hales Street
    Quote Originally Posted by richardstree View Post
    This is all from the 1911 census

Thomas Loveridge Head married 6 years, aged 26 Deptford
    Sussa Loveridge Wife aged 22 Meybourn
    John Loveridge Son aged 7 Deptford

.........They live at 15 Hale Street Deptford.

Hale Street and the name Loveridge seem to go hand in hand. I was told there was a Jumbo Loveridge, which could be the John named above.
    Could John be your missing Albert? If he was born before his parents married, this could explain why there wasn't a birth certificate for him in the name of LOVERIDGE.

richardstree

Anything is possible with the Loveridge connection, however, when would John become Albert? I could understand John being changed to Jack or Jim, but Albert is nothing at all like John.

Would such extreme measure have been taken to cover up the parents not being married?

Wirral

The 1911 census often only records one christian name, he might have been Albert John or John Albert.

I'd try a search of the electoral registers for Hales St. That should help you determine who is who.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast