Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Mutley

Is there any chance Sussa could be Bessie?

In the birth and baptisms for Saint Paul Deptford are a

Margaret May on 21 May 1899 daughter of Thomas and Elizabeth Loveridge of 54 Hale Street. Thomas is a costermonger.

Henry born Feb 25 1897 baptised 21 March,
    to Elizabeth and Thomas, a hawker, living at 52 Hale Street then.

Obviously the ones Blue Eyes found in 1901.
    No sign of a John baptised to Thomas and ? ***? though.

Wirral

Quote Originally Posted by richardstree View Post
    This is all from the 1911 census

Thomas Loveridge Head married 6 years, aged 26 Deptford
    Sussa Loveridge Wife aged 22 Meybourn
    John Loveridge Son aged 7 Deptford
    Quote Originally Posted by Mutley View Post
    Is there any chance Sussa could be Bessie?

In the birth and baptisms for Saint Paul Deptford are a

Margaret May on 21 May 1899 daughter of Thomas and Elizabeth Loveridge of 54 Hale Street. Thomas is a costermonger.

Henry born Feb 25 1897 baptised 21 March,
    to Elizabeth and Thomas, a hawker, living at 52 Hale Street then.
    Wouldn't that make Sussa/Bessie only age 8 at the time of Henry's birth? Even Thomas would only be age 12!

Mutley

You are right.
    I'm getting into a right muddle with the Thomas names and getting no nearer to the answer to the original question.

It could well have been "Marry-la-bone" but other Londoners may say it differently, especially the costermongers who spoke a language that was completely different.

There is more on the Loveridge family here.

Wirral

The best way to find out the mother's name would be to get a copy of the birth certificate for one of her children.

Knowledgeable and helpful

I pronounce Marylebone as Marleybon(e)
    Julie

Mutley

At the moment we only know of John as their son and I cannot, for the life of me, find a John Loveridge birth or baptism around 1904 in Deptford, (Greenwich registration district).

Curiosity got the better of me and I have looked at the original.
    Thomas wrote his 'L' very similar to his 'S' (as in Loveridge and Single). It certainly looks like Sussa but could be Lussa or Lissa as he did not dot the i in Loveridge.

Thomas wrote her birth place as Meybourn, quite clearly, and I think he would have written it different had it been Marylebone. He seems quite literate so I think he would have not have wrote Marylebone the same as he said it.

Wirral

Quote Originally Posted by Mutley View Post
    At the moment we only know of John as their son and I cannot, for the life of me, find a John Loveridge birth or baptism around 1904 in Deptford, (Greenwich registration district).
    In the 1911 census, Thomas & his wife have been married 6 years but their son is age 7. If the 1905 marriage of Thomas LOVERIDGE & Susan SULLIVAN that I suggested was correct, then could this be John's birth?

John SULLIVAN born June 1904 Greenwich 1d 1116?

MythicalMarian

Quote Originally Posted by Wirral View Post
    You definitely need the marriage certificate first, but Meybourn could be a translation of Marylebone. Maybe a Londoner can tell us how Marylebone is pronounced?
    Having lived in London a while ago among real 'Cockneys', they pronounce it 'Merrybone' (to a northern ear) - I guess 'Marrybone'.

Let me add here - this was in the Deptford area!

Mutley

Ooooh! that will 'rattle them bones'.

Sounds possible to me.

Knowledgeable and helpful keith9351's Avatar

Blue eyes, my wife pronounce Marylebone as Marleybon it still makes me cringe. This seems to be the BBC way of pronouncing it now, they do have offices in Marylebone High Street.

I was born in Marylebone and have always pronounced it "Marra bourne" My school was at the rear of St Marylebone Parish Church, this was St Mary's and it was by the bourne hence the name. I've seen early references to St Marylebone spelt Marybone.

Keith

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast