Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Jan Mar

Red face Gypsy sites for research???

I have not been able to find a site relevant for tracing ancestors of Romany descent in the Devon/Dorset border.
    Can anybody help, Please??

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Have you heard of the Romany & Traveller Family History Society?

You might also get some info from the Genuki pages at
    https://genuki. cs.ncl.ac.uk/DEV/
    https://www. uk-genealogy.org.uk/genuki/DOR/

Pam Downes

marianne Faull

Family History Monthly magazine Feb 2005 has an article on gypsies.
    they suggest www. sca.lib.liv.ac.uk/collections/gypsy/intro.htm, amongst the 'further reading' bit.

Debs0458

Default romany

romany road is a good site .. mary hearn is a romany herself and has produced a very informative site
    Debs

Wanda

Default Romanygenes

This is a very informative site, pictures, census, memories, links and it has grown so big, it was only started 8 mths ago, it now has another link to Romanygenes2.

My family also have links to Dorset. They were Ayres, Turner, they too were Romanies.

Wanda
    Last edited by Guest; 18-02-2008 at 11:17 PM. Reason: forgot to add link

Debs0458

Default dorset

Hi,

the person with the dorset ancestor ... my grandmother was ann dorset , married a james bridges , any connections? where did your dorsets originate from?
    Debs

Settling in

If you have missing Romani in England / UK, you might check for them in America.

I have started transcribing all the known Romani family's in the USA. It is a good list but not yet complete.

Donald Locke

A fountain of knowledge.

Default Romany gleanings

Romany Roads and Romany Genes are two different sites.

One is Romany Road run by Mary Hearn descendent of Mullinder Hearn,

the other is Romany Genes and is run by a lovely lady by the name of Sue, who has found herself so innundated shes opened a second site. Shes also the person to go to for T. Lees lifes-works The Lee Family Tree Vol1 and 2, and the Smith Gypsy Genealogies (though you will have to put your hand in your pocket for his works.)

I thoroughly recommend all of the above, as a Romany researcher since 1990, I couldnt have done without contact from all of them.

I also have a site, centering more on the Midlands Romanies and associated families. I have however, compiled various trees on site of families such as the Boss, Herons/Hearns, Smiths, Grays (my own lot), Elliotts, Shaws and a small Loveridge tree, and the family of Jasper Petulengro aka Ambrose Smith (Later Reynolds), mainly based (apart from my own family) on trees compiled and deposited in the JGLS. in the last century. All of which, along with a collection of Census Returns, a few transportees, and a small collection of photos.

Sandra Parker

Default most useful site

I have just spent hours on
    https:// users.nwon.com/pauline/Travellers.html
    it lists just about every type of nomadic person/occupation from Romanies to Punch & Judy men, circus folk to travelling salesmen, actors to equestians, and heaps of bits from all over Britain, and lots of people involved by association - boarding house keepers etc.
    Was quite saddened to read of one chap aged 88 in a workhouse who had been a Punch & Judy man, what an awful end to someone who had spent maybe his whole life making people laugh.
    Sandra

A fountain of knowledge.

Some Romany researchers may be aware that Jackie Blackman used to have a site called Passing Through, well its back online and improved - and you can contribute as well.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast