avidt1

Wink Records of Miners in Somerset

Hi

I am trying to trace a Nehemiah Smith whorked as an engine driver in the mines around the Chewtob Mendip/Midsomer Norton for some 30 years.

Could anyone tell me if there are any records of miners who worked in the Somerset coalfields please.

Many THanks

David

Jan1954

Starting to feel at home

Default Somerest miners

Hi, David
    Don't know if you've found what you're looking for yet but if not you could try the mining museum in the middle of Radstock, next door to Midsomer Norton. There is a research room there and they have a lot of records on the Somerset coalfield. You should be able to locate what you need there.
    hope that's of some help
    Ros

kiwipom

Hi David

It depends on the era.
    If it is pre Nationalisation then there are some records at the Somerset Archives in Taunton, they may be linked to Estate papers for the particular mines owners.

There may be some in the 'Somerset miners archive records' held by Bristol University at
    [email protected]
    quote Somerset Miners Associaton DM443

Tony

ludorabbit

Hi there, I have found this forum of interest
    My husbands family originate from Somerset, their family name is Lintern
    From here my husbands grandad and his family went up to Durham where grandad was born
    Coincidently, where we live now is an estate with places from Somerset e.g. Wells, Radstock as street names

Rodney Fox

Default Lintern Family

Quote Originally Posted by ludorabbit View Post
    Hi there, I have found this forum of interest
    My husbands family originate from Somerset, their family name is Lintern
    From here my husbands grandad and his family went up to Durham where grandad was born
    Coincidently, where we live now is an estate with places from Somerset e.g. Wells, Radstock as street names
    My name is Rodney Fox, I hope you still look at this site.

My Fox family moved from Somerset to Durham.

I see that two Fox girls married two Lintern boys, Eliza Fox married Frank Lintern in 1888 after sister Louisa Fox married Frank's brother Alfred in 1884.

Louisa and Eliza were sisters to my grandfather Henry Fox

Rodney Fox
    rodneyATusfoxesDOTcom
    Last edited by christanel; 22-09-2019 at 7:23 PM. Reason: email address disguised to deter spam

Loves to help with queries radstockjeff's Avatar

Somerset Coalfield Connections has Nehemia Smith b c1799 Chewton Mendip d 1882 Midsomer Norton; married Sarah Hackett. Shown as Coal Engine Driver but no details of which colliery he worked at.