JulesLK

Default Wakefield Cemetery (Sugar Lane)

After a fruitless visit to the Wakefield Cemetery on Sugar Lane armed with row and grave numbers for specific plots, being footsore and fed up I wrote to Wakefield Council explaining my reason and requesting a map or plan of the grounds.

They were great and replied within a couple days passing on the name and mobile number of the groundsman. They said if I gave him a ring, he would happily arrange to meet me and show me the plots.

If anyone plans a visit to look for a specific plot, please drop me a line and I will pass on the information.

Jules

TWOSHEDS

Default Wakefield cemetery

Hi Jules,

I visited Wakefield cemetery last w/end expecting to see a groundsman there between 2-4pm on Sunday as the website suggests but no one turned up. I assume this is the Cemetery on the Doncaster road is it?

I live in Somerset & wondered if your contact would kindly photograph my grandmothers plot for which I have the details.

I would be grateful if you could let me have your contact or know someone who would be able to do this for me.
    Kind Regards
    Tim

sunscreen

Default Re: grave look ups

Hi

I got a really help chap called Mitchell (can't remember his first name) he met me at Pontefract Cemetery with all the plots etc. he said due to 'cutbacks' there are now a handful of people who cover all the cemeteries in the Authority by arrangement over the phone.

Pat

TWOSHEDS

Hi Pat,
    Thanks for your response.

I do have the plot number now. I would like someone that could tell me where abouts in the cemetry it is & possibly take a photo for me.

I live in Somerset & rarely get up to the Wakefield area although I was there in Nov. So although I now know the layout of the cemetry, I do not know where the plot is as this information has only come to light since.

If there is any help you can give me in this area I would be most appreciative.
    Kind regards
    Tim

Knowledgeable and helpful

When visiting cemeteries check the headstones as many will contain row and plot numbers.
    These numbers may be near the ground on the back, plinth or even on the side of the stone.

It is then a case of counting from numbered plots to unnumbered plots.
    Cheers
    Guy

PS if you give me the plot number and names of interest I will photograph them when the snow clears enough.
    Cheers
    Guy
    As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.

TWOSHEDS

Hi Guy,
    Thanks for your offer to photograph the plot for me. The name is Greta Spurgeon. Grave no is 662 section N in Wakefield Cemetry.
    When its convenient to you- that would be very much appreciated.
    Kind Regards
    Tim

Knowledgeable and helpful

Quote Originally Posted by TWOSHEDS View Post
    Hi Guy,
    Thanks for your offer to photograph the plot for me. The name is Greta Spurgeon. Grave no is 662 section N in Wakefield Cemetry.
    When its convenient to you- that would be very much appreciated.
    Kind Regards
    Tim
    Hello Tim,
    I took a run up to Sugar Lane this morning.
    Section N is in the "new" cemetery across the road from the main part.

Plot 662 is close to the boundary wall near the Wakefield end of the cemetery.
    There is no headstone but there is a cast plot number in place.

https://anguline.co.uk/images/PICT0733.JPG

Shows the location of the plot. It is in the gap between the two headstones in the front of the picture.

https://anguline.co.uk/images/PICT0739.JPG
    Shows the cast plot number.

https://anguline.co.uk/images/PICT0738.JPG
    Is a close up of the plot

Cheers
    Guy
    As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.

TWOSHEDS

Default Thanks

Wow Guy, that was qiuck. Thanks very much.
    I can imagine where it is as I walked in this area when I was up in November. I did not know the plot number then so there was no hope in finding it without a grave stone. Thats brilliant. If there is anything I can search for you in the part of the country, Taunton, Somerset I am more than happy to return the favour.
    Kind Regards
    Tim

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default Wakefield Cemetery

Quote Originally Posted by JulesLK View Post
    After a fruitless visit to the Wakefield Cemetery on Sugar Lane armed with row and grave numbers for specific plots, being footsore and fed up I wrote to Wakefield Council explaining my reason and requesting a map or plan of the grounds.

They were great and replied within a couple days passing on the name and mobile number of the groundsman. They said if I gave him a ring, he would happily arrange to meet me and show me the plots.

If anyone plans a visit to look for a specific plot, please drop me a line and I will pass on the information.

Jules
    Hi Jules,
    I have been appointed by CWGC to inspect headstones in Wakefield Cemetery. I need to locate all 100+ headstones of service men and women in the cemetery. Did you receive a plan of the cemetery from Wakefield Council, or could you only speak to the groundsman? If you have a plan or know where I can get one that would be very useful.

Regards,

R4Hill