floramaggie

Question 1841/1851 census lookup please, Stockton Durh

Heloo. I wondered if anyon can help. I am looking for a Hannah Atkinson in 1841/1851 Stockton Durham.
    I dont know anything about her except she would be adult.[I am hoping there are not many by that name]. She is the informant on an ancestors death certificate and present at his death [even though his wife was still alive] I have wondered if she was a relative or a nurse and hopin gthe census might give an occupation.
    I would love some help here please.

DRosebud

Hello Floramaggie

Well, so much for a few Hannahs...there are 24 born between 1780 and 1840 in Durham and residing in Durham in the 1841 Census. Will try 1851..if nurse would it help to know the name of the ancestor or residence where she was present?

Deborah

floramaggie

Hi Deborah. Thanks for looking. The ancestor was Paul Rider and Hannahs residence was given as Green Stockton.
    It doesnt say on the death certificate what the relationship [if any] was between Hannah and Paul.

Procat

The 1851 has three of them resident at Stockton On Tees, Durham.

Born 1781, Rounton, Yorkshire, England, Head, other names in house Bryne, Webb & Bell, Occupation Lodging House Keeper, Address 14 Square

Born 1795, Bishopton, Durham, England, Head, other names in house Scales & Dawson, Address 11 East Street, Occupation Laundress

Born 1820, Farndale, Yorkshire, England, Wife of Robert, other name in house Hale, Address Paradise Field, No occupation

floramaggie

Thanks for that. Worth a shot, Cheers

janbooth

Default Hannah ATKINSON

The only one I can find in the 1841 census of Stockton is the following:

HO107/317/27, folio 22, page 7
    14 South side of Square

Hannah ATKINSON 63 Washerwoman Born in county no
    James do 17 Carpenters Ap yes
    John do 20 do yes

Which fits in very well with the Hannah ATKINSON born in Rounton, Yorkshire that Procat found. As Paul RYDER was not born in the county of Durham according to the 1841 census, perhaps they were related in some way - although maybe not, as there is, admittedly a member submitted, baptism on the IGI on 5 October 1823 at Stockton for a James ATKINSON, father Thomas mother Hannah FORTON plus a marriage on 27 November 1804 at St Thomas Stockton of Thomas ATKINSON & Hannah FORTON - at least a little more background info on this Hannah ATKINSON!!

Janet

floramaggie

Hi. She may have been a friend I guess.being a washerwoman, she may have worked for them. Guess Ill never know. [I was hoping she could be a sister] After 25 years searching, I have tracked Pauls marriage to Harlow in Essex, but not even sure he was born there.
    Thanks again.