dcarswell

Default Henry Carswell Born in England

My great grand father Henry Carswell in the 1901 census of Ireland is recorded as having been born in England. He was living in Belfast Northern Ireland at the time and was aged 43. Born in 1858 Henry's father was also Henry Carswell and was a printer born 1832, his mother was Eliza Wallace born 1831 in Belfast. The family may have moved to England before moving back to Northern Irelabnf for the birth of their third child Matlida in 1861. Henry snr 's father was Thomas Carswell. Eliza wallace parents were William and Mary Crawford

I would like to trace where Henry was born in England can anyone make any suggestions how I could do this please

Thanks you Des

Jan1954

Hello Des - welcome to Brit-Gen,

There is a birth of a Henry CARSWELL registered in Atcham district in the March quarter of 1857, which could fit. Volume 6a, page 598 refers.

Using the reference, you could order the certificate from the GRO. Please ask if you are not sure how to do this.

dcarswell

Default Henry Carswell

Thanks for the welcome Jan 1954 I'm not sure how to do that your help would be appeciated Thanks.

Does the reference give detailsd of Henry's parent ie Henry and Eliza Wallace or do I have to get tha from the cert.

thanks

Des

Jan1954

Hello again Des,

The reference does not give details of Henry's parents, I'm afraid. The only way that you will be able to see that is from the certificate itself. To see what is available on English/Welsh certificates, have a look here.

Using the information that I have provided, you can visit the GRO website and order the certificates online.

The information that you enter is:
    Henry CARSWELL
    Atcham district
    Jan-Mar (quarter)
    Volume 6a
    Page 598

This should cost you £7.

You can also ask for a reference check of Henry's father's name also being Henry. This should cost you about £3.50, with the remaining £3.50 being refunded if it is not correct. The only thing to remember is that using Henry senior's name might prove to be confusing as, if he had another name by which he was known (George Henry for example) then the reference will not check out if he used that. I hope that this makes sense....

By the way, the Atcham district covered part of Montgomeryshire (Wales) and Shropshire (England). Click here for the details.

Keyboard86

Hi Des welcome to the site, thought I would check the 1861 census to give a fuller picture of where Henry was living in England.

The Henry born in Atcham, would appear to still be living in Shropshire from 1861 until 1881 plus it seems his parents were Thomas and Ellen, it could be the Carswell family were wrongly transcribed from the Census return.

Best Regards
    Keyboard86

Keyboard86

Hi Chris only just spotted that they would not be in England as to the birth of Matilda in Ireland, but the Henry in Atcham part still applies.

Must wear glasses when reading through posts!

Keyboard86

Mutley

Hello dcarswell and welcome to the forum.

Before you order the certificate I would advise you to use one of the pay per view sites and check the census entries. If your Henry was in Ireland in 1901 then he should not be on the England, Welsh or Scottish census for 1901. You can search on several sites for free but you have to pay or ask the forum members to check the details of the full entry.

There is a Henry Carswell born in 1857 in Pontesbury, Shropshire. He appears on the 1871, 1881 and 1901 census and his parents seem to be Richard and Catherine. Pontesbury is in the registration district of Atcham, Shropshire. It is possible that the birth found in Atcham refers to that Henry Carswell.

You have the maiden names of the wives, did you get these from marriage certificates or the IGI or elsewhere?
    So where did the marriages take place?

dcarswell

Hi Mutley

I have the maiden names from the marriage certificates as they were married in Ireland. Henry senior married Eliza Wallace in Belfast and I believed they moved to England (since he was a printer and remained in the trade all his life as far as I can tell) I thought applying "2009 logic" that perhaps he would have gone to England for work. I dont have a birth cert for Henry senior either but in any case Henry senior and his wife Eliza had a daughter called Margaret in 1854 then William (1856) and then Henry in 1858. Matilda in 1861 a second Margaret was born in 1865 (the only assuption I have is that the first Margaret must have died, you would never have two children with the same name Would you?) and I know that Margaret 1865 was born in Belfast.

I wonder if the Carswell Family returned to Belfast after Henry 1858 was born or after Matilda 1861 was born. I have a street directory reference for Henry senior for 1877 but I need to check if he was on street directory for earlier than that.

Would I have to search all the eindividual counties census returns or is there a single census return for the whole of England

Des