Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Knowledgeable and helpful

Default wildcard - Bruyn in France 1840's

Ok,

This is a wild card guess.

I know Daniel Justin Bruyn was born 26 May 1847 at Graville, Le Havre, Seine, France parents Daniel Joseph Bruyn and Sarah Helen Nicholls.

According to a family bible the family lived in France for 4 years and left just after the start of the 2nd French Industrial Revolution (that started in 1848)

Sarah Malvina Bruyn is recorded as being born in England 1850.

Daniel Joseph Bruyn's death certificate says deceased Maria and Austin.

I so far can't appear to find them in England and they weren't on the ship that arrived in Australia 1 May 1856.

So I'm thinking, maybe they were born and/or died in France.

Your help is greatly appreciated.

Kind Regards,

Wayne

pottoka

I see from the 1851 Census that Daniel Justin Bruyn and Sarah Malvina Bruyn were siblings and had older brothers and sisters called Margaret, Joseph, Ellen and Elizabeth. If I understand your post rightly, an Australian death certificate gives the children of the dead person and so there also would have been siblings called Maria and Austin, but they must have died before the family emigrated to Australia.

There is a birth registration for an Agustin (sic) Bruyn in King's Norton R.D. in the first quarter of 1854 (vol 6c, page 439) and a death registration for Augustin Bru_N in King's Norton R.D. in the last quarter of 1854 (vol 6c, page 282).

Could this be the Austin referred to? What exactly does it say in the family bible?

pottoka

Smile Records

Bruyn does not seem to be very popular with the BMD transcribers! They get the spelling wrong fairly often.

This is Sarah Malvina's birth:

Name: Sarah Malvina Bru[Yj]N
    Year of Registration: 1850
    Quarter of Registration: Jan-Feb-Mar
    District: Kings Norton (To 1912)
    County: Staffordshire, Warwickshire, Worcestershire
    Volume: 18
    Page: 425

These are the records for Augustin:

Name: Agustin Bruyn
    Year of Registration: 1854
    Quarter of Registration: Jan-Feb-Mar
    Volume: 6c
    Page: 439

Name: Augustin Bru_N
    Year of Registration: 1854
    Quarter of Registration: Oct-Nov-Dec
    Volume: 6c
    Page: ... (looking at the original image gives page n° 282)

Augustin could well be a French name that the couple heard and liked when in France, or they named the child after a friend they had in France called Augustin.

Quote Originally Posted by pottoka View Post
    I see from the 1851 Census that Daniel Justin Bruyn and Sarah Malvina Bruyn were siblings and had older brothers and sisters called Margaret, Joseph, Ellen and Elizabeth. If I understand your post rightly, an Australian death certificate gives the children of the dead person and so there also would have been siblings called Maria and Austin, but they must have died before the family emigrated to Australia.

There is a birth registration for an Agustin (sic) Bruyn in King's Norton R.D. in the first quarter of 1854 (vol 6c, page 439) and a death registration for Augustin Bru_N in King's Norton R.D. in the last quarter of 1854 (vol 6c, page 282).

Could this be the Austin referred to? What exactly does it say in the family bible?
    Hi Pottoka,

Thanks.

Yes they are all siblings (Joseph is a 1/2 sibling to the others).
    Yes the Australian Death Certificate mentions deceased children and Maria and Austin are on it (they did not come to Australia so were before the family arrived in Australia).

The record for Augustin may be Austin mentioned on the death certificate as Elizabeth Bruyn (their sibling and my great grandmother) married Benjamin Cook and they had a son (my grandfather) named Frederick Augustin (Augustus) Cook.

The only family bible I am aware of is Margaret's and I'm not not aware that it mentions Maria or Austin in it.

Kind Regards,

Wayne

pottoka

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Cook View Post
    According to a family bible the family lived in France for 4 years and left just after the start of the 2nd French Industrial Revolution (that started in 1848)
    What exactly does it say in the Bible? It seems strange (to me) that it's been recorded that the family lived in France, but not when and where children were born.

I'll ask Martine to look for Bruyn births and deaths in the eighteen forties. There are ten-year tables in alphabetical order so it's not as huge an undertaking as it sounds at first.

And I'll put Daniel's certificate in the post for you; sorry, but it's still sitting by my computer with one I have to translate. It won't go today as it's the Armistice Bank Holiday, but tomorrow definitely.

Pottoka,

I believe the bible is the Margaret Bruyn and Francis Monaghan family bible and starts with them here in Australia.

I'll try again and see if I can find Maria in England.

No worries about the certificate. When you get the time.

Thanks,

Wayne

pottoka

Smile Mary Bruyn

Both the birth registration and the death registration are in the name of Mary, not Maria.

She was born at three o'clock in the morning of Thursday 15th May 1845 and died on Saturday 19th September 1846 at three o'clock in the afternoon, aged one year and four months. Both events happened rue Catinat, in the district of Trigauville, in Graville, where Daniel Justin was born. There is no cause of death given.

I asked Martine to send photocopies if possible, but she took photos. Would you like me to get photocopies of the papers for you from the Town Hall?

Smile

Thankyou so much.

That is great, I now have located the whole (known) family (ie: all my great grandmother's siblings).

No need for the photocopies of the originals if they are the same as the photos.

Thanks again,

Wayne

Hi Pottoka,

Due to a relationship split all my records that I had on the computer are now gone. I'm trying to rebuild my research. I know it's a long shot but would your friend Martine still have a copy of the photo of these records?

I have only just remembered my user name and password for here (ended up locating some of my posts to get the user name and somehow after several attempts got the password correct).

Kind Regards,

Wayne

Pottoka, you are an invaluable help and source of information

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast