Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    DRosebud

You probably already thought of this, but could the family have immigrated?

I only ask because I searched forever it seems in Devon for a family, then by chance, I mentioned to my Aunt who knew this branch went off to South Africa!

Deborah

floramaggie

Hi Deborah. I though that they could have but I have searched all our Australian records. If the went to America, henry didt continue using his middle name. There are multitudes of plain old Henry Riders.
    Would it have been common to go to South Africa in those days? Is there migration records for England > South Africa?

Geoffers

As a possibility, there's an F R, married man, aged 35, prisoner at Clerkenwell (See RG9/194 f106 p8)

floramaggie

That would be interesting!. What year was that [I dont understand the reference numbers] I imagine its the census. If it was my Frederick he was out by 1871.[he died 1883]
    Are the prison records available to search?

Geoffers

Quote Originally Posted by floramaggie
    That would be interesting!. What year was that [I dont understand the reference numbers]
    1861 as that's what you asked for.

To help you any census prefixed HO107 is either 1841, or 1851

The class number then changes

1861 - RG9
    1871 - RG10
    1881 - RG11
    1891 - RG12
    1901 - RG13
    1911 - RG14

Whilst there was a lot of emigration, I think the ages of two children (9 and 11) in the 1871 census makes that a less likely possibility.

Looking at the 1861 census, there are quite a few entries where the name is not indexed, or only partially indexed, it may be worth having a closer look at the census for Ratcliff and doing a search the old-fashioned way.

floramaggie

Thanks. I scout around for prison records. Cheers

Growing old Disgracefully

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Geoffers View Post
    As a possibility, there's an F R, married man, aged 35, prisoner at Clerkenwell (See RG9/194 f106 p8)
    This could be yours as Sarah has a big gap between her Children - Frederick Henry 1854 and Harriet 1862 and Albert 1866.

Sandy

DRosebud

I certainly understand searching for immigration/migration records with a common surname is frustrating... then checking US Census records.

My lot went out to South Africa in early 20th century. Someone with more expertise might be able to answer your question about migration records to S. Africa.

Deborah

floramaggie

yes. Frederick Henry HArreit and Albert are mine!

floramaggie

Searching within South Africa isnt easy either. My g grandfather was shipwrecked off the cape in 1878[he was a mariner] He left a paper trail as far as his `employement` but his 3 marriages and many children do not seem to appear in records.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast