jdavey

Default 1881 census look up - detective required!

Hi,

I have been looking for some family members on the 1881 census, with various spellings to no avail, so thought a fresh pair of eyes may help.

I am looking for children of John & Fanny Pilsbury. I believe John may have passed away in 1873, and Fanny in 1872. I have all children in 1871 with their family as follows:

1871 Census:
    John Pilsbury - 53yrs Sawyer, Congleton, Cheshire

Fanny Pilsbury (nee Wood) - 44yrs, Congleton, Cheshire

Hannah Pilsbury - 20yrs Silk Weaver, living at home with parents in Congleton - possible marriage found in Dec 1871 to James Washington

Ellen Pilsbury - 18 yrs, living at home with parents, no occupation noted

William Pilsbury - 16 yrs, living at home with parents as a farm servant. He marries Fanny Tomlinson in 1882, stockport

George Pilsbury - 11yrs living with parents. Marries Mary Jane Richardson in 1882 Stockport

Fanny Pilsbury - 9 yrs living with parents

So, if I go with my theory, Dad & Mum pass away before 1881, Hannah gets married and the rest seem to disappear for the 1881 census. However the two boys get married in 1882 so they must still be in the area.

Fingers crossed we have a break through!

Cheers

Jayne

Brick wall demolition expert!

18 year old Fanny Philsbury is still in Congleton on the 1881 census, enumerated as Niece in the household of George & Charlotte Dale.

Class: RG11; Piece: 3534; Folio: 103; Page: 30

What are the addresses of sons William & George on their 1882 marriage certificates? They may be at those addresses in 1881. The 1881 census is searchable by address on Ancestry.

Adele

Famous for offering help & advice

Default William and George?

Could this be them: RG11/3486/80/42

William Spilsby, age 26, Coal Miner, born Congleton
    George Spilsby, age 20, Coal Miner, born congleton
    Lodging with a family Goodwin in Norbury, Stockport.

(searched William only, with age, plus born Congleton)

Fanny is transcribed as Philebury on FMP and Familysearch.

jdavey

Default Thank you Thank you

Hi Mona and Adele,

I have spent the last 4 evenings trawling through the ancestry censuses for congleton, cheshire with no luck.

Thank you for locating them and so quickly. I have learnt something today, how to search ancestry differently!

I appreciate all your time and efforts

Cheers

Jayne

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Hi,

My Great Great Grandfather was George Pilsbury (wife Mary Jane Richardson), my Great Great Great Grandfather were John and Fanny Pilsbury (lived in Congleton). My Grandad's sister, Cissie, I think Elizabeth, emigrated to Australia and I think William, his brother, emigrated to New Zealand but I am not sure of this.

Cissie and William did visit my parents probably between 1955-1965.

Are we related or are you researching for someone?
    Chris