Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    dmcr

Hi all,

I am still struggling with my great grandfather's police involvement. As I live in Australia I also know little about Cambridgeshire and each time a name of a town or area arises in my research I google it. It is a geography lesson in itself.

In response to ddqpm. I have came across the same photo of the Ely policeman online with No 23 on his collar at https://www.theera.free-online.co.uk/...sle-of-ely.htm. This photo seems to be taken some time earlier than the one I have as the men have top hats and not helmets. The man with No 23 on his collar is fresh shaved and with wavy hair and the arm band is quite different to what I am talking about.

The photo raises two questions. One, is a policeman's number his own even after death or leaving the force or could there be more than one man using the number 23 over a period of years? I wonder if this is in fact an earlier photo of my great grandfather when he first entered the force.

Two, when did the dress change? The photo of my great grandfather in uniform shows him with a police helmet on his head and he has quite a full mustache so it is quite hard to compare facial features.

The marking on his arm is not a band like the photo you refer to but is two distinct V-shaped stripes paired together on the lower part of his right arm with the point of the V pointing upwards. They are a single light colour. Otherwise than the fact his gloves are a dark colour rather than light as most of these photos depict the uniform is unchanged. The helmet badge is hard to pick out as it is dark on a dark helmet but is could be the Isle of Ely badge.

It may be as pointed out by Geoffers that he was a relieving sergeant for a period of time.

Thanks SueNSW for the suggestion to get John Bishop's death certificate. I had been waiting for our Aussie dollar to regain it's strength so it might be a good move. Any suggestions on where I would be best to obtain a certificate from. I believe the most likely death for him is Bishop, John, 37 yrs, Peterborough, 3b, 129, June 1/4, 1904. A John Powell Bishop died in the same year who I believe could be his father. It must have been a sad year.

Thanks steve-fuff for John Bishop's birth registration entry would that be a parish reference for this birth found on free BDM: Bishop,John, Ely,3b,547, Sept 1/4, 1866?

Thank you all for your suggestions regarding the newspapers. I will try the Cambridgeshire Family History Society again. They were the source for John's burial information but at that time did not find a newspaper entry. I will also keep trying online.

As to the Cambridgeshire Constabulary. I will send them another email. I have tried 3-4 times over a period of about the same number of years with no response so I don't know how I will go. But, it they are the answer I will keep on it. I do hope that the records have not been destroyed.

Thanks once again.

DMCR Australia

SueNSW

You can order the death certificate online via this page

https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/

You need to register first - then complete the details of the year, area, volume and page etc that you have - pay your money (CC) - and wait for it to arrive

The cost of 7 Pounds include airmail postage - and as the good old Aussie dollar surges onwards and upwards (for the moment anyway) this is certainly a good time to get it

Just thought - if the GRO site is considered to be commercial (I would have thought it was a service) and this gets edited/deleted - PM me for the information

Good Luck with your other lines of enquiry

Cheers
    Sue

Geoffers

Quote Originally Posted by dmcr
    Two, when did the dress change? The photo of my great grandfather in uniform shows him with a police helmet on his head and he has quite a full mustache so it is quite hard to compare facial features.
    Uniform changed over time, both headwear and style of tunic/coat.

The marking on his arm is not a band like the photo you refer to but is two distinct V-shaped stripes paired together on the lower part of his right arm with the point of the V pointing upwards.
    These are likely to mark good conduct/length of service.

If you have had no reply to e-mail, you might try a letter and enclose IRCs with a self adressed envelope, or possibly telephoning either the police or the records office.

steve-fuff

Quote Originally Posted by dmcr View Post
    Hi all,

Thanks steve-fuff for John Bishop's birth registration entry would that be a parish reference for this birth found on free BDM: Bishop,John, Ely,3b,547, Sept 1/4, 1866?

DMCR Australia
    Sorry, perhaps I was being overly brief.
    The URL I quoted will take you to the CAMDEX records - which are the local Cambridgeshire copy of the GRO records. The GRO records indexes are the source material for FreeBMD.
    However, the Cambridgeshire records have the advantage of including a parish reference with the entry reference. "B-LIT" in this case.
    With a little detective work you can identify birth parishes.

I thought the URL would be useful for many people as the system holds all Cambridgeshire GRO records - Births, Deaths, and Marriages so there is a trail from 1837 through to 2003.

Unfortunately Littleport happens to be one of the parishes I don't have transcripts for so I can't help much further there.

ddqpm

Default Coates Cambridgeshire - PC Bishop

You could also try the Littleport Society,a family history and heritage group, on

littleportsociety.org.uk

who claim to have data files on 59 Bishop families in the area.
    Last edited by Procat; 12-10-2009 at 10:00 AM. Reason: Commercial link removed

dmcr

Thank you all for your help once again.

It looks like I have some airmail letter writing to do. I will certainly try emailing again but as suggested it might just work to write to both the Cambridgeshire Constabulary and the Cambridgeshire Archives.

I will keep my fingers crossed.

Thanks to Geoffers for his expertise with the uniform. I will try sending a copy of the photo with my letter for clarification. Thanks also for confirming my suspicions that collar numbers were reallocated. John Bishop was listed on the 1891 census as a

Thanks SueNSW & steve-fuff for your informative advise on certificates. I am new at these English certificates.

Thanks ddqpm for the tip re the Littleport Society. I went to their site and noticed quite a few of my family surnames on there so it may be worth a try contacting them. I note the 59 Bishop names but was astounded by the 1337 Gotobed names. I only have one way back in my tree so far and I had never heard of the name before.

Keep your fingers crossed I get a result from somewhere.

I will let you know how I go.

DMCR Australia

SueNSW

but was astounded by the 1337 Gotobed names. I only have one way back in my tree so far and I had never heard of the name before.

DMCR Australia
    I'll have to have a look there too - I have the gloriously named Ellen Measures Gotobed who "escaped" to darkest Essex and married a Gregory (my mother's family) in Rainham in 1871

Cheers
    Sue

Chas

Quote Originally Posted by SueNSW View Post
    I'll have to have a look there too - I have the gloriously named Ellen Measures Gotobed who "escaped" to darkest Essex and married a Gregory (my mother's family) in Rainham in 1871

Cheers
    Sue
    I see she married a Gregory and died aged 73, do you know who her parents were?

SueNSW

Haven't pinned them down for sure Chas - she is only a small twig and I can't justify the purchase of a cert for her (till my lotto numbers come up - then I'll buy 'em all)

There are a couple of trees on Ancestry that give Anngier/Aungier Gotobed and Hannah Chapman - but I haven't been able to tie it in with census entries

Cheers
    Sue

Jax123

Default John Bishop

Did you have any success in finding anything more out about your great grandfather. I have just come across your post and John was also my great great grandfather. His son Thomas Bishop was my great grandfather.

Jax

Hi all,

I have been trying to find information on my great grandfather's involvement in the Cambridgeshire police for some time now so I am hoping someone with more experience may be able to help.

My great grandfather was John Bishop born C1867 Littleport Cambridgeshire. He is listed on the 1901 Census as a policeman. I have a photo of him in police uniform. It has part of some numbers on his collar _23 on right & 23_ on left.
    I believe he may have served with the Coates police.

Tragically he died in April 1904 and I am told he was buried 24th April 1904 at Coates Churchyard. Death registered at Peterborough. Family has told me they thought he died of pneumonia. Family thinks he did or was trying to apprehend salmon poachers at the time he became ill.

So far I have not been able to locate a funeral or obituary notice in a newspaper or any police record for him. It must be out there somewhere.

I have tried policememorial.org.uk, cambs.pnn.police.uk with a comment of too busy from the former and no reply from the latter.

Hoping someone can help

DMCR from Australia

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast