Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: BAWTREE

I have transferred this thread from British Census (as all entries have been found) to the Essex Forum, where perhaps people with access to things like the Essex Review may read it.
    Sue Mackay
    Insanity is hereditary - you get it from your kids

Default George Bawtree

Quote Originally Posted by messers View Post
    Do you know how George Bawtree fits in?
    1851 census: St. John's St, Colchester HO107/1781 f213 p4

George BAWTREE 49 Boro' treasurer, gent b Middlesex, Shadwell
    Harriette wife 41 b Colchester
    Harriette 17
    Frances 15
    Emily 14
    (next page)
    Katherine 12
    Edith 10
    Bertha 9
    Gertrude 7
    George W 4
    Louisa J 1
    Live in Governess + servant
    Children all born Colchester

Don't you feel sorry for George Junior with eight sisters!!!

There is a Public Tree on Ancestry that says his wife's name was Harriett ONE, but the trees weren't loading so I couldn't check if there was a source given. His parents didn't seem to be listed on that tree.

By 1861 RG9/1097 f5 p4
    he is at 21 Queen St Colchester and is a clerk in an insurance office.
    As well as his wife, children Harriet (or Hawestway if you believe Ancestry ), Emily, Bertha, George and Louisa are still at home, and in addition there is Alice (9) and, helping to redress the balance somewhat, Alfred (7) and Herbert (5)

George Bawtree died December qtr 1869 Colchester aged 66

He was Mayor of Colchester 1838/39 (Conservative)

Report on the East Anglian Earthquake (1884) says the house of Mrs. George Bawtree in Queen Street was badly damaged by falling chimney stacks. (There is also a drawing by an Edward Bawtree of damage caused at Abberton House.)
    Last edited by Sue Mackay; 07-10-2009 at 5:07 PM. Reason: Addition of wife's name
    Sue Mackay

Bosswell

Red face David Postle Bawtree was a direct relative

David Postle Bawtree was a direct descendent.

My grandmother was a Bawtree born to John Bawtree in the Manor at Abberton nr. Colchester where they lived. She had two sister and a brother David who was killed at the age of 23 in the first world war I have the original oil painting of the ship in my home. Complete with history of the event as it used to race with the other T clippers of its time. He was lost on the China Sea in November 1872.

I am looking for information on Octavius BAWTREE (abt 1831) and Charlotte June EVANS (1853 - 1893). And D. BAWTREE of Killnstyle, Elmstead, Colchester, Essex married to B. BAWTREE.

Thanks

Michelle[/QUOTE]

Peter-Gabriel

Funny when I'm searching for the descendants of Mary Postle x 23/7/1816 John Bawtree, banker of colchester and they are here!

This was a message I attempted to put before but lost it!

I am in the middle of creating a descendancy chart of a N Rigby, living c 1730-50.

I have reached 1000 descendants, amongst whom are some very famous names, Anna wintour, Al Murray, Lords, ladies and gents.

I am now working on the descendants of Jehosaphat Postle, brewer of Norwich, who married one Sarah Rigby (1771-1851) in 1792

One of their daughters, Mary born 1797, married John Bawtree, Banker of colchester, JP and deputy Lieutenant of Essex.

They did have children, one of their sons, john, carried on the Banking and went spectacularly bankrupt in the 1880s.

I know people have been working on the Bawtrees, but could anyone fill me in with the descendants of this latter couple?

Forever young!

Peter-Gabriel

Firstly I want to say that if anyone is interested in the Postle ancestors of the Bawtrees, I certainly have them on the female side, and could send a word document with them, and secondly it seem Frank Postle Bawtree had several children, as his third son died in South Africa. Thanks

Bosswell

Quote Originally Posted by Bosswell View Post
    David Postle Bawtree was a direct descendent.

My grandmother was a Bawtree born to John Bawtree in the Manor at Abberton nr. Colchester where they lived. She had two sister and a brother David who was killed at the age of 23 in the first world war I have the original oil painting of the ship in my home. Complete with history of the event as it used to race with the other T clippers of its time. He was lost on the China Sea in November 1872.

I am looking for information on Octavius BAWTREE (abt 1831) and Charlotte June EVANS (1853 - 1893). And D. BAWTREE of Killnstyle, Elmstead, Colchester, Essex married to B. BAWTREE.

Thanks

Michelle
    [/QUOTE]
    Can you explain your interest in this particular family please.

Bosswell

Was there a Dr. Rigby because my grandmother, M.E. Bawtree used to speak of him and the Postle family.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter-Gabriel View Post
    it seem Frank Postle Bawtree had several children, as his third son died in South Africa.
    There is a picture of his gravestone on eggsa here.

eggsa newspaper transcriptions for the Cape Times also has the following

Marriage
    MURISON William Charles Norman (youngest son of Hon. J MURISON) to ROBINSON Annie Eliza Bridget (grand-daughter of late J BAWTREE, of Abberton, Essex, England) on 9th May 1883 at Cape Town
    Sue Mackay

Peter-Gabriel

Hi Bosswell,

Yes indeed there was a Dr Edward Rigby who was my GGG+ uncle. Originally from Chowbent, Lancashire, he settled in Norwich and married twice, so therefore many descendants. Dr Edward Rigby was very well known in his time and did much work on female anatomy:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edward_Rigby_(physician)

My interest is that I am compiling a list of known and previously unknown descendants of his unnamed grandfather for my family and others who might be interested. thanks to the Postle descent I am beginning to add more descendants (1009 so far). I suspect I will eventually end up with about 1300-1500. I will also add sources and how spouses are connected. Earlier on Unitarians tended to intermarry quite frequently!

Peter-Gabriel

Many thanks for this tid-bit! Yes I saw this gravestone yesterday, online I mean! Interested about this Murison fellow. He was either son of a son of a baron or the son of a judge, judging by his fatther's predicate.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast