Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Sixess

Default Payment for Will copies-

Payment options for Will copies at York Probate Sub Registry are restricted to "crossed cheque" if sought through the post. As a non resident of the UK and thereby forced to apply through the post, it seems amazing that in these days payment cannot be made by credit card. From where I write there are no postal money orders available to UK, and bank charge for issue of a sterling cheque for copy of (1) Will is close to three times more than the HMCS search/copy charge. Could anyone please advise whether there may be other avenues to obtain copies.

Reputation beyond repute

You need a "friend" in this country who is prepared to write a cheque on your behalf.

Peter_uk_can

It's England Sixess !! Think your self lucky you weren't asked for 2 staves of wheat and a pound of apples in payment.

joette

Just think if your ancestors had had the good sense to die in Scotland you could obtain & download a copy of their Will for £5-up until around 1905 I think.

ET in the USA

Quote Originally Posted by Sixess View Post
    Payment options for Will copies at York Probate Sub Registry are restricted to "crossed cheque" if sought through the post. As a non resident of the UK and thereby forced to apply through the post, it seems amazing that in these days payment cannot be made by credit card. From where I write there are no postal money orders available to UK, and bank charge for issue of a sterling cheque for copy of (1) Will is close to three times more than the HMCS search/copy charge. Could anyone please advise whether there may be other avenues to obtain copies.
    The words "dark ages" come to mind.

I just looked at First Avenue House in London, thinking they might be more 'with it'. No luck. I guess that is why we go to England each year to visit family & make a side trip to the Probate Registry in Cardiff. We can pay cash. I thought that since the GRO allows payment online for certificates, that wills would be the same.

Even is you found a 'friend', how would you pay them ?
    I know what you mean about fees for drafts being high. A pound draft from here, whether for 1 GBP or 10,000 GBP still costs US$35.00 or approximately 22GBP or 40AUD.

Reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by ET in the USA View Post
    Even is you found a 'friend', how would you pay them ?
    OK. A "friend" in the UK with a PayPal account. This allows anyone else without a PayPal account to make secure payments to the UK friend using a credit card.

v.wells

I have sent postal money order in sterling to person's address in the UK. (or you could just send a thankyou card with cash £ enclosed). You must have an element of trust to do this and exchange email addresses to confirm receipt/payment. Another thought is to send money to the kind person in Aus $ including the conversion value - that way they can just hop into Barclay's and change it. I always round up to even denomination to cover mailing costs.

Sixess

Thanks for all helpful and 'consoling' messages !
    My problem must be common for most non-UK residents and hopefully, someday, surely, payment for copies of Wills will move to a 21st century method.
    In the meantime a UK "friend" has offered much appreciated assistance on a reciprocal search/cost basis in Australia.

Vance Mead

Whenever I've ordered wills I've just put a five pound note (for one will) in the envelope. I know they discourage it, but it's always worked for me. Mostly they are very helpful at the record offices.

aquiss

I can assure you the UK is not that backward, infact when it comes to Internet payments we are right up there. We introduced Debit Cards before most, if not all, countries. Introduced chip and pin early (after France). Deployed Verified by Visa and 3D Secure.

It's just sad that York (which is a modern city) Probate have not progressed beyond 1990, especially as cheques, especially in the UK, are just a few years away from being phased out.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast