Thread: Daly

trev2293

Default Daly

Can anyone help please. I've hit a brick wall. I know my gggf moved to Birmingham in 1822. But on the first UK census, he is merely shown as born in Ireland, but where, around, 1790. When he came to Birmingham, he had a son James, age 7 years. No wife.

The family name is Deeley, but originally I believe it was Daly and his fiirst name was Bernard.

I'm told that a lot of Daly's came from Galway, so I am hoping this request may throw up something.

Thanks everyone.

Jan1954

Hello trev2293,

Quote Originally Posted by trev2293
    on the first UK census, he is merely shown as born in Ireland, but where, around, 1790
    Have you checked if your chap had the decency to show up on more than one census? If so, did he provide any clues other than "Ireland"?

Also, remember that ages of adults were rounded down to the nearest 5 years in the 1841 census.

trev2293

Thanks for replying Jan, but he is shown on the census records up to 1861. All the same, I'm sorry to say.

I might also try Donegal.

Famous for offering help & advice sue2white's Avatar

Could this be him?

Found on: ifhf.brsgenealogy.com

Church Baptism Daly Bernard 1788 Co. Tyrone

You can buy the birth record for a few Euros.

Sue

trev2293

Thanks Sue. I'll try it out and let you know.

trev2293

Thanks Sue. I've had a look. It might be him, as I've also looked for his marriage and that's a possible too. However cannot find his son James.

I'll keep trying though.

Cheers.

craiguito

I also have Deeleys / Daleys who came to Birmingham before 1839, I believe from Roscommon, according to later censuses

345greg

Default Daly's Birmingham, England

Hi all,

I am researching the Daly's who lived in Birmingham and have hit a.brick wall! The furthest I can go back with my fathers family line to date is to a Robert Daly 1861-1909 who lived in Wolverhampton, Staffordshire, England. He was married to Sarah Ann Fox 1864-1955, and they lived together in Birmingham, England. I believe that Robert's father was Robert too from his marriage certificate. My surname is Fox but I have found out through research that my great grandfather was born out of marriage and kept his mothers maiden name.

I have also gone a stage further and had a Y-DNA test with Familytreedna.com which conclusively confirms that I am from Daly origin, as I have a few close matches with other Daly's manly in the US but non from UK as of yet.

I would be very interested if any one could shed some light on a Robert Daly 1861-1909 who lived in Birmingham.

Greg