Thread: Pictures

Flowers

Default Pictures

does anyone know of a web site that shows pictures or paintings of everyday life In the Georgian Period I am amazed at how little there is thank you Sue

Colin Moretti

The British Museum has an enormous collection of drawings, particularly satirical cartoons, many of which are accessible via their online catalogue (click Search the catalogue) and down-loadable at no charge for personal, educational or research purposes - a marvelous resource and the cartoons are great fun.

Colin

Knowledgeable and helpful

Try googling William Hogarth or james Gillray? They were cartoonists of the day and often reflected life on the streets

AnnieB5051

You could also try Bath in Time - most of the pictures are related to Bath only, but there are several prints and engravings included.
    www.
    bathintime.co.uk

Anne

Coromandel

Not a website but a book: 'The Dress of the People: Everyday Fashion in Eighteenth-Century England', by John Styles. Its superb illustrations include street scenes, paintings of rural life, interiors of cottages, and much more. My local library was able to get hold of a copy for me.

Reputation beyond repute

The V&A is the place for design/style/fashion.

Try the Collage database for Guildhall Art Gallery and Guildhall/LMA prints

DorothySandra

There's a fair amount for the Regency Period, but Georges I - III don't get much of a mention, do they?

Hollytree

Quote Originally Posted by Flowers View Post
    does anyone know of a web site that shows pictures or paintings of everyday life In the Georgian Period I am amazed at how little there is thank you Sue
    Not a website, but I have a book by John Barrell called 'The darkside of the landscape' in which he discusses the rural poor depicted in English painting 1730-1840............it might be worth looking for that. It's a readable book, academic but gives the names of the principal artists drawing and painting rural scenes.........Gainsborough, George Morland, John Constable. You might find examples of these online such as the V&A, National Gallery etc.........there are a lot of images online.

Anne