royston

Smile national library of Wales

The NLW has now put all of their wills on the internet in scanned form.
    It has a search by name, area,parish etc.
    I believe that you can print them, but have not tried as my printer in not working at present.

ET in the USA

Question Need Help using this site

I tried today to search, but couldn't figure out how it works. No matter what I said I was looking for [WIlls, marriage bonds etc. for "My Search Limits"] I got 1500 hits for Lawrence & most if not all were books with the author's name [first or last] Lawrence. The Help menu said I don't have to register, or did I not understand?

Could someone please give me steps on how to search this site ?

Elaine

Carmy

I didn't have any luck either, even though I selected 'All'. It seems to me that the areas of probate records are limited.

Hollytree

The National Library of Wales has a huge collection, and don't forget it is a copyright library, which means that it has all published books within its portals. Beautiful place.

To find wills you obviously need to find the library's web site, just put 'National Library..... into your favourite search engine, and then if you speak English choose that as your language (unless you want Welsh) then once in there is menu line which has pull down menus, select 'Family History' and then once into that select 'Genealogical Sources at NLW, and then the fourth choice on this page has 'Will & Probate records'

I've just had a quick look and found many 'Lawrence' wills and bonds from all over Wales.

By the way, what is your interest in Lawrence? I have been researching my house in Monmouthshire and have found that Lawrence family owned land around the house and houses here

Anne

ET in the USA

Thanks for the help Anne. I have found my way in now, but may but find anything in the area I need.

My Lawrence families are primarily Glamorganshire - Bridgend, Merthyr Tydfil, etc.
    Elaine