Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    rellim

Default Joseph Pettingell's London marriage

Help please,

A Joseph Pettingell married a Marianne Linden Jones circa 1820 in London (I understand)

Children are:
    Marianne Eliza (born 1821), Margaret Abbott, Frederica Sebright (born 07 Sep 1826), Joseph, Emmeline Jane Linden, Georgilia (?) , Rosalie, William Thomas Lawrie, Frank Linden.

The girl Georgila was born onboard ship "Thomas Laurie" just outside Tasmania. The 5 before her were possibly born in London. The children after her born in Tassie.

Any info on Joseph and Marianne Linden Jones marriage -occupation etc will be helpful.

Maureen

Starting to feel at home

Default Marriage info

Hi Maureen,

Joseph Pettingell and Marianne Jones were married on 6 July 1820 in St. George, Bloomsbury, Middlesex, borough of Camden. Witnesses were Julius Anderson & Alice Jones. No other information I'm afraid on the document.

Eric

Source Citation: *London Metropolitan Archives, Saint George, Bloomsbury, Register of marriages, P82/GEO1, Item 022
    Last edited by EricS; 20-09-2009 at 3:29 AM. Reason: Add citation

JAP1

The IGI has the following extracted entries:

* Marrianne Eliza PETTINGELL, b 12 Aug bap 23 Sept 1821, New Road Paddington Independent, Saint Marylebone, London, parents Joseph PETTINGELL & Marrianne JONES

* Margaret Abbot PETTINGELL, b 9 May bap 1 Jun 1823, New Road Paddington Independent, Saint Marylebonr, London, parents Joseph PETTINGELL & Marrianne JONES

JAP

Name well known on Brit-Gen

Quote Originally Posted by EricS View Post
    Joseph Pettingell and Marianne Jones were married on 6 July 1820 in St. George, Bloomsbury, Middlesex, borough of Camden. Witnesses were Julius Anderson & Alice Jones. No other information I'm afraid on the document.
    They were both "of the parish" (that is, claimed to be residing in St George Bloomsbury at the time)
    The marriage was after banns.
    Both spouses signed their names.
    Both witnesses signed their names.
    The second witness may be Eliza Jones

There is little enough information in pre-1837 marriage records -- you need all you can get

Kerrywood

birdlip

Hi Maureen,

When did Joseph leave England?

There is a notice in the London Gazette 25th July 1833, re the dissolving of a partnership between Thomas Evans, Joseph Pettingell and William Pettingell, "Breeches makers and Tailors" of 127 Mount St, Grosvenor Square.

Is this your fellow do you think?

cheers birdlip

rellim

Default Thanks: birdlip, Kerrywood, Jap1, EricS

Hi to all,

Many thanks for the info re Pettingell marriage and children birthdates.

What a wonderful site with so many helpful people.

Kind regards,

Maureen.

bindy

Hi Maureen, I have just started researching the Pettingells and came across your question. The Pettingell you are referring to is my husbands ancestor. Eva Pettingell married Sidney George Godfrey (my husbands grandfather). Eva is descended from Joseph. I was wondering what your connection is and if you can confirm that Joseph was born in Barkway. (This is according to an extract from the National Library in Canberra who are holding Joseph's diary from his voyage on the "Thomas Laurie"
    Marlene

rellim

Hi Marlene,

My connection to the Pettingell family is via the marriage of Frederica Sebright Pettingell to a John Joseph Roberts at Sydney NSW Scots Presbyterian Church on 31 Dec 1842. Their son Frederick Joseph Roberts married Frances Harriet Hayes Williams who was the daughter of my G G Aunt Maria Elizabeth Garty.

So, rather removed from the Pettingell family.

The only comment I have on Joseph Pettingell born 1799 in London and Joseph born 1828 in London.

You can read from the other contributions to this site forum about the Pettingell family.

Best wishes,

Maureen

bindy

Hi Maureen
    Yes we are distantly related. Frederica was his 1st daughter Were you aware that there is a diary written by Joseph Pettingell describing his trip from England. It is held in the national library Canberra donated by a descendant from USA! I have found two references to Jospeh Pettingell in the Hobart Newspaper - one describes an ad placed by Jospeh Pettingell - Taylor to his Majesty, indicating he was open for business. The other is a Jospeh Pettingell in Evandale and talks about him being a school teacher. Also reference to Joseph Pettingell of Evendale who was gaoled for bankruptcy in Launceston in 1837. Joseph left Tasmania in 1838 and landed in Sydney, he worked as a lawclerk and again was declared insolvent, he died in a Lunatic Asylum at Ryde in 1859. His youngest child Frank Linden is where our line continues from. I am a little confused as to whether Joseph who married Marianne was in fact a Taylor and changed his profession on arrival in Sydney or in fact had moved from Hobart to Evindale I will need to research further - maybe census docs.
    Marlene

southerncross

Hi Maureen
    Frederica Sebright Pettingell was my great great grandmother, she married John Joseph Roberts on Dec 31, 1842 in Sydney, NSW, Australia. Their son ( my great grandfather ) George John Roberts born in 1844 and Martha Hannah Roberts ( my great grandmother ) born in 1845 were married in 1866 at Parramatta, NSW, Australia. They had a son Percy Harold Hutchinson Roberts ( my grandfather ) born in July 1871, he changed his name to Ries and married Flora Ritherdon born in 1880 ( my grandmother ) and had 3 children, one being my father Arthur Harold Ries born in Waverley, NSW, Australia on May 22, 1915 and passed July 31, 1985. I have attached a copy of my Family Tree for viewing. I live in Sidney, British Columbia, Canada.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast