durringtonlad

Default Parish Records for Figheldean

Please does anyone have access to parish records for Figheldean who can help me.

I am looking for a Joseph Sheppard b 1761 ( this I believe estimated from his death 10/06/1836)
    He married a Elizabeth Carter 22/12/1778 at Figheldean, at their banns it was stated they were both OF THIS PARISH.
    It has been hinted that he was Joseph Sheppard b June 1763 (Father Nias Sheppard, netheravon), but a Joseph Sheppard d Sept. 1763 age 3 mths (netheravon) So I am dubious on that route.

Any help greatly appriciated.

David

birdlip

Hi David,

and WELCOME! I just noticed you're a newcomer to B-G, and have made two posts without receiving a reply to either!! We're falling down on the job.

Nothing much to add to this I'm sorry, but at least this will bump your thread to the top of the list

I'd be dismissing the Joseph b Netheravon too, now you've found that burial. A pity, because Netheravon is less than a mile away, and would have been a real possibility otherwise. He could have come from much further away though, I'm sure you know that "of this parish" just meant that's where they were living at the time of the marriage. Sorry I can't be of any help. I do have CARTER's in my family in Salisbury, perhaps they will link up at some stage, it's a pretty common name though isn't it?

kind regards birdlip

Famous for offering help & advice michaelpipe's Avatar

Hello David, Try the LDS Family History Centre - they have Figheldean Parish Records and Bishop's Transcripts on microfilm. Nearest FHS might be in Ipswich.
    Michael

Suffolk Pipe – one tree

Reputation beyond repute

Or Wilts FHS have published a transcription or, if it's more convenient, the Society of Genealogists library holds a copy.

Valued member of Brit-Gen

When they have of this parish, it does not really mean they were born there, but had been living there for a time. It can be misleading when they do that. Looking on the map they are next door to each other, so they may have lived on the boundery and so lived and born in the parish you stated but christened in the other. It may be worth checking out a few more see if you can find any links with the other members of the family, its surprising what comes up when you start looking into the the siblings. When we were looking for our family we found a possible but couldn't find any proof. The only link we have found so far was our gg grandfathers brothers wife who died while living with the possible Aunt by marriage and she was the informant, we then found a child of this Aunt who was born 1837 and the mother did have the right maiden name, so its worth checking out as many of the family as you can find.

Irene

Cool

hi

had a look for a Joseph 1761 and just keep comming up with these 3

Day: 9
    Month: Feb
    Year: 1763
    Forenames: Joseph
    Surname: SHEPHERD
    Fathers forenames: Joseph
    Mothers forenames:
    Birth day:
    Birth month:
    Birth year:
    Abode:
    Place: Mere
    County: Wiltshire

Day: 16
    Month: Dec
    Surname: SHEPPARD
    Fathers forenames: Robert
    Mothers forenames: Mary
    Birth day:
    Birth month:
    Birth year:
    Abode:
    Place: Wanborough

.................................................. ................................

Day: 27
    Month: Jun
    Year: 1763
    Surname: SHEPPARD
    Fathers forenames: Nias
    Mothers forenames: Joanna
    Birth day:
    Birth month:
    Birth year:
    Abode:
    Place: Netheravon

Did Joseph call any of his children Joanne after his mother

Peanut

durringtonlad

Default Joseph Sheppard b 1761

Peanut Nias and Joanna are the parents of the Joseph who b July 1763 and died Sept 1763.