Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Golley-Jury

Colin Rowledge

Default Golley-Jury

Joseph Golley married Elizabeth Jury on October 30, 1886 at the Redruth Register Office. Elizabeth was the daughter of a miner - John Jury - but I'm not sure of the spouse of John.

The only Elizabeth I've located was on the FreeBMD for the 2nd quarter 1862 as being born in Truro. Vol. 5c page 180.

For most of her married life she was known as Bessie Golley.

Before I go ordering the certificate can some one confirm, possibly by census lookups that I have the right one?

Thanks very much

Nicolina

the 1891 Census has:
    RG12/1846/93 Page: 4
    8, Hoskings Row, Redruth
    JURY, John Head Married M 19 1872 General Labourer b. St Allen,
    Cornwall
    JURY, Wm Brother Single M 16 1875 Tin Miner b. St Allen, Cornwall
    GOLLEY, Jos Son In Law Married M 29 1862 General Labourer b. Gerrans,
    Cornwall Roseland
    GOLLEY, Elizth Sister Married F 28 1863 b. Redruth, Cornwall
    GOLLEY, Fanny Niece F 3 1888 b. Redruth, Cornwall
    GOLLEY, Wm Nephew M 2 1889 b. Redruth, Cornwall

Nicolina

taking it back to 1881:
    RG11/2330/91 Page 4
    8, Hoskings Row, Redruth
    JORY, John Head Married M 53 1828 Tin Miner b. St Allen, Cornwall
    JORY, Mary Wife Married F 51 1830 b. Manaccan, Cornwall
    JORY, Elizabeth Daughter Single F 18 1863 Tin Dresser b. St Allen, Cornwall
    JORY, Ellen Daughter Single F 16 1865 Tin Dresser b. St Allen, Cornwall
    JORY, Fanny Daughter Single F 12 1869 Scholar b. St Allen, Cornwall
    JORY, John Son Single M 9 1872 Scholar b. St Allen, Cornwall
    JORY, William Son Single M 6 1875 Scholar b. St Allen, Cornwall

given this Elizabeth should have been born between April 1862 and April 1863 whicj fits with the reference you have. You can ask that they only issue the certificate if the parents names fit.

Colin Rowledge

Hi Nicolina

Thanks for this information. I'll certainly make sure I order the correcdt certificate.

2 things have just hit me.

1] 1891 census
    Neither John or Mary are listed as living at the address of Hoskings Row, but their marrried son is. No spouse is listed for John who was only 19. Is this usual? Any ideas about John and Mary?
    2] 1881 census
    2] Where in Cornwall is St. Allen? Is it part of or close to Truro district? Was their correct name Jury or Jory ?

Thanks

Colin Rowledge

I don't believe this is a major hurdle, but I'd like some assistance.

On the 1881 census there is a John Jory residing with him spouse Mary and their 5 children [icluding Elizabeth]. The address is 8 Hoskings Row, Redruth, Cornwall.
    Given his estimated age in 1881 [age 53] he was born in 1828 and the stated place of birth was in St. Allen. I cannot find a birth record for John

Neither John nor Mary show up on the 1891 census record.

I did find a record of a marriage between a John Jury and a Mary Lang in Tavistock in 1846 but if this is correct then John was 18 and Mary was 16. I guess this is not impossible.

A death record for a John Jory is available and indicates a death in the 2nd quarter of 1888 in St.Columb at age 61.

The 1891 census shows the residents at 8 Hoskings Row is named Jury

Does this appear to be the right link or am I missing something

Thanks

Nicolina

looking at the 1891 image, I think that the Enumerator was having a "senior moment",he's even got 16 year old William as married. John is entered as Head of Household so maybe there parents had died. It would be worth checking out.
    St Allen is about 9 miles south of Newquay
    I'm not sure of the actual spelling as there appear to be loads of JORYs in Truro District which covers St Allen.

Colin Rowledge

Quote Originally Posted by Nicolina View Post
    looking at the 1891 image, I think that the Enumerator was having a "senior moment",he's even got 16 year old William as married. John is entered as Head of Household so maybe there parents had died. It would be worth checking out.
    St Allen is about 9 miles south of Newquay
    I'm not sure of the actual spelling as there appear to be loads of JORYs in Truro District which covers St Allen.
    Hi
    I have located a death for a Mary Jory in St. Columb in 1st quarter of 1881. Her age at death was 54 - making her birth around 1827. Can there be a 3 year discrepancy?

Is St, Columb near any of these other places?

Have I got the wrong/right parents?

Thanks

MarkJ

There are plenty of Jorys in the mid Cornwall area

St Allen is not far from Truro.
    St Columb (Major) covers a large area if you are talking about registration districts. It includes my own parish of St Enoder, Crantock, St Columb Minor (which covered what is now Newquay) as well as St Columb itself plus some distance North - Padstow, St Merryn etc.

The only Elizabeth I've located was on the FreeBMD for the 2nd quarter 1862 as being born in Truro. Vol. 5c page 180.
    No, what you have found there is that her birth registration was registered in the Truro registration district - it doesn't mean Truro itself always. Truro registration district includes Probus and Ladock, St Just in Roseland, St Agnes plus several other places - including St Allen

Mark

Colin Rowledge

Default Jury-Jory

Reviewing the above, I am convinced that the family on the 1881 and 1891 census [although a slight difference in spelling of the surname] is one and the same and are my ancestors. Neither iof the parents [see below] were alive at the time of the 1891 census.

John has indicated his date of birth as 1828 and in St. Allen.

Mary has indicated her date of brith as 1830 and in Manaccan

At the time of the 1881 census, the eldest child living with them appears to be Elizabeth born in 1863 in St. Allen. Perhaps a review of the 1861 census would show other children?

It appears quite likely that John and Mary may have married around 1850-1955. I have been unable to find any marriage for a John and Mary in this time frame. The only one I found is as noted in post #5

I have located death notices for both John and Mary [both in St. Columb]
    John - 2nd quarter 1888
    Mary - 1st quarter 1891

Can someone help me with Mary's maiden name and date of marriage? Would the 1841 census of Cornwall for Manaccan gives us any hints?

Thanks

Colin

Nicolina

Hi Colin,
    here we go again and it's interesting

RG9/1557/17 Page 5
    ? Cottage, St Allen, Cornwall
    John Jory abt 1828 St Allen, Cornwall, Head occ: Lead Miner
    Mary A Jory abt 1828 Manaccan, Cornwall, Wife
    Simon J Jory abt 1857 St Allen, Cornwall, Son
    Mary J Jory abt 1858 St Allen, Cornwall, Daughter
    James Jory abt 1860 St Allen, Cornwall, Son