Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Golley-Jury

Nicolina

the 1871 Census has yet another spelling:
    RG10/2280/17 Page 4
    Penglaze, St Allen
    JOREY, John Head M 42 1829 b. St Allen, Cornwall occ: Lead & Copper Miner
    JOREY, Mary Ann Wife F 41 1830 b. Manaccan, Cornwall
    JOREY, Simon John Son M 14 1857 b. St Allen, Cornwall occ: Lead Dresser Miner
    JOREY, Mary Jane Daughter F 13 1858 b. St Allen, Cornwall
    JOREY, James Son M 10 1861 b. St Allen, Cornwall occ: Lead Miner ?
    JOREY, Elizth Daughter F 9 1862 b. St Allen, Cornwall
    JOREY, Ellen Daughter F 5 1866 b. St Allen, Cornwall
    JOREY, Fanny Daughter F 2 1869 b. St Allen, Cornwall

Colin Rowledge

Hi Nicolina

If she was born in St. Allen as stated in the 1871 census why would the enumerator have her as born in Redruth in 1891 census?

I still think we're talking about 2 different people

Colin

Nicolina

St Allen is in Redruth District. Also looking at St Allen on the map, it seems to be quite a small place

Colin Rowledge

Quote Originally Posted by Nicolina View Post
    St Allen is in Redruth District. Also looking at St Allen on the map, it seems to be quite a small place

Hi - I think I know what confused me---
    Free BMD has a marriage in Redruth in vol. 5c page 312 between Joseph Golley and Elizabeth Jory - 4th quarter 1886. Her bitrh was registered as Redruth district.

as well as:

A marriage in Redruth for an Elizabeth Jane Jory 3rd quarter 1892. She was also born in Redruth - 2nd quarter 1862. On further checking this wasn't to Joseph Golley

Not being ovely familiar with the various districts in Cornwall also confused me as well the fact that each and every census had a different spellingf the name and I was concentrating on Jury as per the 1891 census.

In retrospect I think we may have the right link, oder a birth certificate and hope that the parents are noted on the 1881 census.

If her mother was Mary A. ? and was bon in Manaccan in 1830, she should definitely show up on the 1841 census. Could this be checked and parents name located?

Thanks

Nicolina

there is a marriage:

Marriages Sep 1856
    HOLLOW Mary Redruth 5c 435
    Jory John Redruth 5c 435
    Nicholls Mary Ann Redruth 5c 435

this would fit with the birth of their first child about 1857 BUT which Mary did he marry? If you get a birth certificate for Elizabeth it should give her mother's maiden name and then she can be checked against the 1841 & 1851 Censuses.

Colin Rowledge

there is a marriage:

Marriages Sep 1856
    HOLLOW Mary Redruth 5c 435
    Jory John Redruth 5c 435
    Nicholls Mary Ann Redruth 5c 435

this would fit with the birth of their first child about 1857 BUT which Mary did he marry? If you get a birth certificate for Elizabeth it should give her mother's maiden name and then she can be checked against the 1841 & 1851 Censuses.
    Thanks for this. I wonder if the Mary Ann Nicholls was born in Manaccan around 1830? If so I think this would likely be John's spouse

Colin

Nicolina

you really need to get the birth certificate before you start jumping the gun. A mistake now could be disasterous.

Colin Rowledge

you really need to get the birth certificate before you start jumping the gun. A mistake now could be disasterous.

Okay, point taken

Nicolina

here's Elizabeth's baptism from the Cornwall OPC site:

Parish: Allen, St.
    Date: 25-Dec 1862

Name: Elizabeth JORY
    dau of
    Father: John
    Mother: Mary Ann
    Abode: Trenerry

unfortunately I cannot find John & Mary Ann's marriage on there

Colin Rowledge

here's Elizabeth's baptism from the Cornwall OPC site:

Parish: Allen, St.
    Date: 25-Dec 1862

Name: Elizabeth JORY
    dau of
    Father: John
    Mother: Mary Ann
    Abode: Trenerry

unfortunately I cannot find John & Mary Ann's marriage on there
    Working with the above, and other information I have since discerned, I have 2 possible marriages:

Marriage #1
    As transcribed [and the image supports] John Jewery married Mary Ann Trethowan in the April-June q. 1855 in Falmouth R.D..

The 2nd is the one to Mary Ann Nicholls. This was in Redruth R.D.

Given that Elizabeth was baptized in St. Allen, which was John's place of birth, the children prior to Elizabeth were also baptised there.
    I am trying to determine where Manaccan is in relation to the marriage in 1855 in Falmouth and the one in 1856 in Redruth?

There is no occupation listed for him on the 1851 census and as for 1861 when he and his pouse are back in St. Allen, his occupation is a Lead Miner

I haven't as yet bought the marriage certificate and my c.c. has been compromised so can't order at the moment

Colin

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast