Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Golley-Jury

Nicolina

taking it back
    HO107/1910/22 Page 8
    St Allen, Cornwall
    Jane Jory abt 1789 St Allen, Cornwall, Head (unmarried)
    John Jory abt 1828 St Allen, Cornwall, Son

neither have occupations listed and again I cannot read the address

Nicolina

John isn't at home in 1841 but here is his mother:
    HO107/147/18 Page 5
    Tref*onick?, St Allen, Cornwall occ: Ag Lab
    Jane Jory abt 1791 Cornwall
    Mary Jory abt 1816 Cornwall
    James Jory abt 1821 Cornwall

Colin Rowledge

Quote Originally Posted by Nicolina View Post
    taking it back
    HO107/1910/22 Page 8
    St Allen, Cornwall
    Jane Jory abt 1789 St Allen, Cornwall, Head (unmarried)
    John Jory abt 1828 St Allen, Cornwall, Son

neither have occupations listed and again I cannot read the address
    Presumably, Nicolina, this is what was interesting. How can we find out the 'juicy' bits? Apart from my dad, it looks like a 'scandal' on Mum's side too?

v.wells

Colin - try genesreunited. My 4 or 5 cousin is researching Mary Jury in Cornwall (and he lives in Cornwall). I'll email him and find out what he's got - and he is super thorough!

Nicolina

I think you need the female line. The IGI has:
    JANE JORY
    Christening: 29 MAR 1789 Saint Allen, Cornwall
    Mother: JANE JORY

so John's mother was also illegitimate

v.wells

He has a load of Jory's and Jury's starting
    John Jory 1836 & Jane England 1839 born/lived/married in Withiel, Bodmin, Cornwall and had 7 children. John Jury 1860, Francis 1862, Mary 1864, Nellie 1867, James 1870, Henry 1879, Minnie 1880. But they are probably not yours. As Mark says there are a lot of Jury's in and around Truro, Cornwall. I would still check genesreunited.

Nicolina

more from IGI extracted records:

ELLEN JORY Christening: 11 JUN 1865 Saint Allen, Cornwall
    Father: JOHN JORY Mother: MARY

SIMON JOHN JORY Christening: 05 OCT 1856 Saint Allen, Cornwall
    Father: JOHN JORY Mother: MARY

ELIZABETH JORY Christening: 25 DEC 1862 Saint Allen, Cornwall
    Father: JOHN JORY Mother: MARY ANN

JAMES JORY (born 1860) Christening: 25 DEC 1862 Saint Allen, Cornwall

MARY JANE JORY Christening: 09 MAY 1858 Saint Allen, Cornwall

also a possible family member:

ELIZABETH JANE JORY Christening: 12 MAY 1843 Saint Allen, Cornwall
    Father: JAMES JORY Mother: ELIZABETH

a search for the marriage of brother James gives:
    Marriages Mar 1842
    Jory James Truro 9 333

but, unfortunately there are 3 Elizabeths listed as possible spouses

Colin Rowledge

Hi Nicolina and Vanessa.

Thanks very much for your asistance. I think I've worked out who's who from this lot. I'll sleep on it tonite and give a summation of what I think and you can pick holes in my theory or [hopefully] agree.

Cheers

Colin Rowledge

Default History of John Jory

As noted in post #18, here follows my synopsis:
    1] John was born in St. Allen in 1828 - mother was Jane Jory [born 1789-1791]. John was illegitimate [I believe] as no father is noted and his christening indicates his mother's surname.

2] John had at least 2 siblings - Mary Jory [born 1816?] and James Jory [born 1821?] in St. Allen. They were both illegitimate [I believe] - reason as per [1] above. Given the age ranges possibly had different fathers.

3] At the time of the 1851 census, John and his mother lived together in St. Allen. Mary and James were living away and possibly married as both would now be aged 30+. Neither John nor Jane had occupations stated. Both were stated as unmarried.

4] At the time of the 1841 census, Mary and James were living with Jane, however John was not. He would have been 13 at the time. In later years he had an occupation as a Lead Miner, so was possibly living with afamily close to where he worked. Can he be located on the 1841 census?

5] Jane [his mother] was the daughter of Jane Jory. She was born in St. Allen. I believe she was illegitimate also as she took her mother's surname and I can find no information on a marriage around the 1780's. It is reasonable to assume Jane's mother was born around 1760-1770 also in St. Allen. I have located a death on FreeBMD for a Jane Jory - registered in Truro 1838 which fits.

6] John Jory married a Mary Ann ? [who was born in Manaccan around 1828. Have been unable to locate a marriage for these 2, however it was probably in the mid 1850's in St. Allen, as in the years prior to Elizabeth [born 1862], they had Simon [born 1857], Mary [born 1858] and James [born 1860]

Does this make a reasonable basis upon which to start odering certificates?

Colin Rowledge

After reviewing my post #19, I did some checking back.

I'm really confused about the 1891 census and as Nicolina pointed out in post #6, maybe this was the 1st house that was visited after a 'liquid lunch'.

Joseph Golley and his spouse Elizabeth are listed are listed as Son-in-law and Sister of the head of the household. The head is listed as John Jury - supposedly married and aged 19.
    Joseph lists his birth place as Gerrans and Elizabeth lists hers as Redruth

I have found an Elizabeth Jory in Redruth being born in the 2nd quarter of1862. I think this may be the right one. Could we do a look up on the 1871 census to see who she was living with?

I think the people they were living with in 1891 may be related, but as the enumerator stated.

Sorry to confuse anyone

Colin

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast