Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Loves to help with queries

Cool James in Llanbadn Fawr, Jones in Lledrod

My ancestors, Nathaniel and Gwennifred (Jones) James Lived in Llanbadn Fawr. They were married 27 Sept. 1811 in Tregaron, Cardiganshire and had three daughters, Mary James (C: 18 April 1812 in Caron); Sara James ( C: 14 Dec. 1814 in Tregaron);Jane James (C: 21 March 1821 in Caron); and one son, Nathaniel James (shows up in the 1841 census as born that year, doesn't show up in the 1851 census). Nathaniel is a widower in the 1861 census. Nathaniel lived to the ripe old age of 91 years in 1872 when he was buried in Penlone, a farmer of Tynswydd. I have him in all the census records, 1841, 1851, 1861, 1871. Her name is Gwennifred in the 1841 census and Winnifred in the 1851 census, same husband, same children. When she was buried in 1860, she is of Tynswydd, Caron, age 79. I believe that Tynswydd is a family farm. Her father could be John Jones of LLanswel. Any information, suggestions or help with this family would be appreciated. Thank you.

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Happy Jackie, I found your posts as I was Googling Llanbadarn Odwyn for my Davies line and we are related through Mary James who married Enoch Davies from Tyn Gaer. My line goes down to their son Enoch and then his son Thomas E (Jane) who immigrated to Ohio in 1847. I then am connected to other Davies from John W. from Pyllau Duon who came over and settled in this area of southern Ohio. I have a public tree on Ancestry with as much information as I have on both Wales and US sides.

jeanjin,
    Croeso cynnes i Brit-gen (A very warm welcome to Brit-gen)

I don't have access to Ancestry so cannot check out your tree. On a separate post I have asked Euros to check an article in a Welsh language magazine re. Thomas E Davies, Ty-Hen. It names Thomas' wife as Mary. The article is about Thomas' daughter Elizabeth, died 1868, age 27.

Old Maps - https://maps.nls.uk/view/101608168
    In the top right hand corner you will see "Pyllau Duon". Above it is "Tan-y-gaer" and I wonder if your "Tyn Gaer" is an attempt to capture "Tan-y-gaer". I need to check surrounding maps closely for a "Tyn Gaer".

Happy Jackie,
    Old Maps - https://maps.nls.uk/view/101608195
    In the top left hand corner is Ty'n-y-sŵydd". This map is the next map eastthe of Pyllau Duon map above.

Checking the parish register for Caron, between 1814 and 1828 the following couples recorded abode as "Tynswydd" (with variations) when baptising children - Robert and Elizabeth James (x5), Edward and Leah Williams (x4), John and Margaret James (x4) and David and Mary Davis (x1).

Caron baptismal records start 1813 and as well as Sarah (1814) and Jane (1821) Nathaniel and Winifred baptised John (26 Dec 1823) and Margaret (25 Oct 1826).

Cofion cynnes (regards)
    "dyfal donc a dyr y garreg"

Have checked the Caron parish register for Enoch (21) and Rachel (19) on the 1850 American Census with Thomas E Davies. Jane is not listed on the '51 Census

7 May 1828, Enoch son of Thomas and Jane Davies, Tyhen, occpn. farmer.
    1 Sep 1829, Rachel dau of Thomas and Jane Davies, Tyhen, occpn. farmer.

Possibly Thomas remarried?

1841 Census (ref. HO107 Piece 1376 Book 2 Folio 5 Page 4

Thomas Davies, 40, Farmer
    Mary Davies, 30
    Enoch 11, Rachel 10, David 10, Richard 5, Mary 3, Elizabeth 1 (These are the first 6 children on the 1850 American census)

Address Tyhen Isaf
    (note - FMP has mistranscribed address as "Doisof". The "Do" element = ditto, referring to the name immediately above "Tyhen Uchaf"

FMP marriage (image on line)

Tregaron Church, Parish of Caron

Thomas Davies, 40, widower, address Tyhen, father Enoch Davies, weaver on 19 Dec 1840 to Mary Davies, age 27, spinster, servant, address Tyhen,, father Rees Davies, tailor.
    Witnesses David James and John Davies

Parish Burials (image)

Parish of Caron
    Jane Davies, abode Tyhen, Sep 28th 1837, age 41

Also spotted
    Richard Davies, abode Tyhen, 12 April 1836, age 80

Parish Marriages (image)

Parish of Caron
    Thomas Davies of this Parish and Jane Davies of this Parish, by banns and consent of parents, on 14th March 1827. Both made their mark - witnesses David Green and William Williams.

Two of the children, Richard (1834) and Jane (1836), were baptised Llangeithio, Welsh Calvinist Methodist. Mother's maiden name is recorded as Davies.

Old Maps
    This is the map immediately north of "Ty'n-y-swydd"
    https://maps.nls.uk/view/101608177

"Ty-hên" in bottom left hand corner.

Helachau
    Bu fy nhadcu yn ffermio y ddwy fferm sef Pyllau Duon a Tyngaer, ac fel hyn yw y sillafiad ac hefyd Tynyswydd.
    Mae pobl lleol yn dueddol ei seinio fel Tyngar a Tynswydd.
    Cofion
    Euros

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast