Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Lottie

Smile STEWART and ROBERTSON

Researching James STEWART born 1836 Kirriemuir and his wife Mary Ann ROBERSTON born 1837 Arbroath married Kirriemuir 1859, emigrated to Nelson ,New Zealand in 1863.
    Looking for descendants of James and Mary Anne's siblings. Parents William and Margaret ( nee Chalmers ) STEWART of Kirriemuir and William and Janet (Jess) ( nee LOUSON ) Robertson of Arbroath.

Lottie

Wirral

Hi Lottie
    FreeCen lists both families in the 1841 census, the Robertsons at Glover St, Lady Lan, Arbroath & the Stewarts at Balmuckity/Marytown, Kirriemuir. The latter is just south of Kirriemuir on the main road to Forfar. Balmuckity is a farm & Marytown a hamlet. Siblings listed are: David Stewart 2; Alexander Robertson 3; William Robertson 1.
    There are 26 Lousons in Arbroath in 1841.
    I have Robertsons & Stewarts in my family from Angus, but none are connected to your lines.

Forgot to say, Forfar library has all the censuses for the area. I can't remember if any are indexes. + the church registers.
    Last edited by Wirral; 25-08-2005 at 12:03 PM. Reason: census info

Lottie

Default STEWART and ROBERTSON

Wirrall

Thank you for noticing those entries , we had the LDS films on loan, some years ago and extracted that info.
    Doesn't surprise me that you have Stewarts and Robertsons from Angus in your tree , but are not connected . When locating James Stewart's Birth/Baptism at Kirriemuir, we did not know his father's name and there were two James Stewart's baptised in the same week - it was only when we located his Marriage Entry, that we were able to detect which line to follow.
    have taken Stewarts back to Lintranthan c 1750 and Chalmers back to Stirling c1780 -- but again repetition of names has given us a brick wall. Robertson/Louson's in Arbroath back to about the same generation in St Vigeans .
    ( this is my husband's line )
    My Scottish forebears came from Midlothian/Peebleshire
    Again thanks

Lottie

Wirral

Hi Lottie
    My ancestors came from the opposite directions -the Stewarts from Marnoch in Banffshire & the Robertsons from Kikrmichael in Perthshire.
    Look on the bright side. at least the Scottish records usually give the mother's maiden name. Try searching for Jones & Williams in Wales!

Lottie

Wirrall

Try Jones and Smith's in Midlands

Regards

Lottie

hyatt

hi i am searching for "my" robertsons

mary robertson
    09 JUN 1817 Montrose, Angus, Scotland
    Parents:
    Father: PATRICK ROBERTSON
    Mother: MARGARET CRIGHTON
    patrick robertson married margaret crichton 1 may 1808 at montrose angus

PATRICK ROBERTSON - International Genealogical Index
    Gender: Male Christening: 01 MAY 1772 Craig By Montrose, Angus, Scotland
    Father: robertson

does not name father or mother...
    although there is a betty robertson with the same father "robertson" there are several other robertsons mentioned in the same batch all born similar dates with fathers name john robertson and ann morgan as parents.

mary robertson married john tait 3 july 1844 OLD MACHAR ABERDEEN
    also mentioned as marrying
    MARY ROBERTSON - International Genealogical Index
    Gender: Female Marriage: 03 JUL 1844 Marykirk, Kincardine, Scotland
    i have found 3 siblings for mary robertson
    patrick 31 may 1813
    margaret 13 aug 1809
    john 6 sep 1811 all christened at montrose

i cannot locate the birth date or parents of margaret crighton/chrichton either.

also have a tentative name of patrick robertsons father as john robertson and ann morgan but this is not verified.
    i do not have birth dates or parents of ann morgan either.
    the family appears to be from craig by montrose
    john tait 14 jan 1796 the husband of mary robertson was from chrichton although his sister elizabeth was born in brechin 1804. ( other siblings were born in chrichton)
    john tait and margaret robertson 's 2 children margaret and elizabeth tait were born 31 jan 1846 in brechin.

the taits migrated to australia where elizabeth tait married a george rogers when she 18 on 3 feb 1863:
    i do not know if she migrated as a family or if it was just her and her sister margaret who migrated.

any help with this family from census or parish records would be appreciated as i have hit a brick wall with the creightons/chrichton , morgans , robertsons and taits

floramaggie

Exclamation

Hi, can i add my Robertsons and Stewarts? I am searching for Clementina Stewart born Dundee 1759. She was the daughter of William and Jean [Adamson] Siblings Catherine 1754 and Cockburn 1756. Clementina married Robert Robertson 22/11/1788 at Dundee. Robert was a tinsmith. anyone recognise any names ?

sheilalewry

Default Stewarts of Lintrathen

Hi Lottie
    I wonder if our Stewart families are related? I go back as far as Donald Stewart who had 6 children between 1788 and 1798, and his wife(although I cant find the marriage) was Mennie Siddell. All the children were born in Lintrathen. James 1788, Joanna 1791, Daniel 1792, David Ogilvy 1794, Margaret 1796 and Charles 1798.
    If you think we may connect, please get in touch!
    Regards .. Sheila

Lottie

Sheila
    Is it possible I will search out the info, of William Stewart's parents - I thnk his Mother came from Lintranthen- will contact again asap.

Lottie
    New Zealand

Lottie

Sheila

James Stewart born 1835 , parents were William born 1799 in Aylth, married Margaret Chalmers.

William's Parents were James born 1760 in Aylth, he married Elizabeth Rattray of Cannock in 1797 in Aylth

James's Father was William born 1 February 1738 in Kirriemuir his Father also James , but I do not have details of his Mother - only that her name was also Elizabeth - and she was born in or came from Lintranthen . I have not, so far, located their marriage. or either birth.

IMHO if there is connection , it would be possibly be with a sibling of William born 1738- but Stewart is a very common name in Angus County, as you are probably aware.

Lottie
    New Zealand

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast