dreward

Default Brickwall - MUSSON of Southwell & Nottingham

For a number of years I have been trying to trace the origins of and what happened to my gr.great grandfather John Musson, framework knitter etc., born on or before 22-07-1832 supposedly in South Scarle, son of William Musson and Julia Pearson, married Harriet Cooke 9 June 1866 (marr. confirmed) at St.Pauls, Nottingham and had 3 children Jane(gr.grand mother), Clara and George.

In the 1891 census Jane Musson, now Hicking, was visited by a cousin Arabella(b.1859) from Southwell

I have John recorded on the 1841 in Southwell/1861 in Sneinton/1871 in Nelson St., Nottingham census but then he totally disappears. Searches for the 1881/91/1901 give nothing that could be John. Neither is his death via the IGI to be found.

I do have a number of possibilities for his parents etc up to 1734 but none of these have been truly confirmed.

What I would like to know is whether there is anyone else on the forum researching the Musson family that I could contact in the hope of at least confirming a few names.

Hope this is enough for someone out there to recognise one or more names.

Thank you

Dave

Knowledgeable and helpful

Hi, I can't find him in 1881 but there is a death on FreeBmd for a John Musson of the right age

John Musson age 58 Sep 1890 Nottingham vol 7b page 196

Emeltee

Famous for offering help & advice

Just to clarify.
    Johns` wife Harriet is with the three children at 5 Longhedge Lane, Nottingham St Mary in 1881. She is shown as married and a Butter Dealer. So husband Should be alive somewhere...

dreward

Emeltee and Mitch - Thank you both for your replies.

The death you found of John Musson(1890) seems promising so I have now ordered the certificate in the hope that ......... I have him in 1883 in Rick Street, Nottingham and in 1884 at his daughter Janes wedding as a hosiery maker.

Mitch - for the 1881 census that is correct. If only it had said widow that might have solved a bit of the puzzle - so where was he in 1881.

Cheers

Dave

Geoffers

Quote Originally Posted by dreward
    The death you found of John Musson(1890) seems promising so I have now ordered the certificate in the hope that ......... I have him in 1883 in Rick Street, Nottingham and in 1884 at his daughter Janes wedding as a hosiery maker.

Mitch - for the 1881 census that is correct. If only it had said widow that might have solved a bit of the puzzle - so where was he in 1881.
    You might try searching for just his initials in the 1881 census in case he was in an institution (hospital, asylum, prison).

It is just possible that he may have died by 1881. I have one family member who is recorded as a wife in a census and her husband appears in an electoral role a couple of years later - not unreasonably I initially thought he was still alive......and then I found his will, death certificate and burial prior to the census.

What I would like to know is whether there is anyone else on the forum researching the Musson family that I could contact in the hope of at least confirming a few names.
    In case you haven't already, try using a search engine for 'Nottinghamshire Surnames List' and see if anyone is shown there - or possibly try the Nottinghamshire Family History Society

Quote Originally Posted by dreward View Post
    It's always a good idea to use the Search box on the blue banner. The name rang a bell because I was typing it yesterday for another member

https://www.british-genealogy.com/for...ad.php?t=50449

Admittedly not Nottinghamshire, but his lot obvioulsy moved about a bit, so perhaps yours did too!
    Sue Mackay
    Insanity is hereditary - you get it from your kids

janbooth

Default John & Harriet MUSSON

From Notts FHS Baptismal Index:

Born 1871, bap 19 August 1875 at Nottingham St Matthew Clara MUSSON daughter John & Harriet, Needle Place, Fancy Framework Knitter

Born 1874, bap 19 August 1875 at Nottingham St Matthew Robert MUSSON son John & Harriet, Needle Place, Fancy Framework Knitter

Born 1867, bap 19 August 1875 at Nottingham St Matthew Jane MUSSON daughter John & Harriet, Needle Place, Fancy Framework Knitter

Born 30 June, bap 19 August 1875 at Nottingham St Matthew William MUSSON son John & Harriet, Needle Place, Fancy Framework Knitter

I can't find a burial for John on the FHS Burial Index, but my version is not complete by any means.

There is also a baptism on 19 March 1858 at Arnold for Ann MUSSON daughter of John & Harriet COOK , FWK, so it looks as if their daughter Ann, who appears in the 1871 census, was born prior to their marriage.

Harriet COOK looks as if she is in the 1861 census, unmarried, with daughter Ann, living at Arnold with father William, widower, FWK and her siblings. There is a baptismal record on the Notts FHS at Arnold on 7 July 1836 of a Harriet COOK daughter of William & Ann.

HTH somewhat,

Janet

dreward

Hi all
    Once more thanks to you all for your information and suggestions. My replies as follows:

Geoffers
    Tried all combinations that you suggested plus alternative Mussons ie Mussen, Husson etc but this gave the familiar Not found sign. I should add that I use FMP but have on occassions found that A....Y, which I don't have, sometimes has what FMP doesn't have. I have to hope that the death of John in 1890(see Emeltee) is the right one.
    I have also found someone else via Notts Surname List looking for Mussons in the Nottingham area so will make contact there as well.
    +++++++++++
    Sue
    Thanks for the search suggestion - see Geoffers
    +++++++++++
    janbooth
    As if manna had dropped out of heaven! Thank you for that list of baptisms. However it raises more queries. You give Clara b.(15-05-)1871, Robert b.1874, Jane b.(08-11-1868)1867 and William b.June 1875 and Ann bap.1858.

Robert and William I didn't have and they fit after Clara but before George who was born 26-Aug 1879. But will check out and then order certs.

Your Harriet Cook (should read Cooke) would seem to be about right as well as her father and mother from the scarce info I already had but as said above FMP refuses to find them in the 1861 census. I believe Ann was his first wife.

Once again many thanks.

Dave

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Quote Originally Posted by dreward View Post
    For a number of years I have been trying to trace the origins of and what happened to my gr.great grandfather John Musson, framework knitter etc., born on or before 22-07-1832 supposedly in South Scarle, son of William Musson and Julia Pearson, married Harriet Cooke 9 June 1866 (marr. confirmed) at St.Pauls, Nottingham and had 3 children Jane(gr.grand mother), Clara and George.

In the 1891 census Jane Musson, now Hicking, was visited by a cousin Arabella(b.1859) from Southwell

I have John recorded on the 1841 in Southwell/1861 in Sneinton/1871 in Nelson St., Nottingham census but then he totally disappears. Searches for the 1881/91/1901 give nothing that could be John. Neither is his death via the IGI to be found.

I do have a number of possibilities for his parents etc up to 1734 but none of these have been truly confirmed.

Hope this is enough for someone out there to recognise one or more names.

Thank you

Dave

Hi, have read this post with interest - Julia Pearson and William Musson are my x Grt Grandparents. Julia actually died on the 7th of Feb 1843 and William was present at the time of death. Hope this helps

Heather

Hello Heather, welcome to the forum.
    It appears that Dave the original poster is no longer a member of the forum.
    There isn't any way of finding any contact details for him, so unless someone who know of him and is able to pass on your information, there might not be a positive response