Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thumbs up Thank you Elwyn

Quote Originally Posted by Elwyn Soutter View Post
    The records for Strabane Workhouse are kept in PRONI (the public record office) in Belfast......
    Very helpful post. It helps me plan my next research trip to Ireland.

Knowledgeable and helpful

I had a search around and sadly it doesn't appear that there are any Workhouse records for Strabane prior to 1862. See:
    https://www.workhouses.org.uk/Strabane/
    ELWYN

Hello! I am seeking information on a Charles Lynch and a Mary Bradley Lynch - who were in/around this region. I know of three children - Jane, Susan and Felix. All of the kids list Strabane Workhouse as their residence prior to leaving. The three children took the boat in 1851 to Quebec - where they all married/lived. On all three marriage certificates they list the above names as parents, and that they are deceased. Can't find much else! Any help would be appreciated. Knowing that the name Felix is quite interesting - and naming patterns typically follow a senior (grandfather/brother or ?) - there may be another Felix in the family tree. My Felix (the child) named his children - Francis Felix; Charles Edward; Felix John - so again, the family names keep repeating. Thoughts? Thanks!

Knowledgeable and helpful

Death registration didn’t start in Ireland till 1864 before that, there probably won’t be any record of it. The RC church generally doesn’t keep burial records in Ireland, and sadly someone whose children ended up in the workhouse probably wasn’t wealthy enough to have a gravestone.

There are several RC parishes in the area. Ardstraw East only has baptisms from 1860 onwards; Ardstraw West from 1846; Clonleigh has records from 1836 with gaps. The RC parish records are on-line free on the National Library site:

https://registers.nli.ie/parishes

If Charles & Mary died after 1864 there should be a death certificate for them, probably registered in Strabane. You can view the original certificates on-line on the GRONI website, using the “search registrations” option:

https://geni.nidirect.gov.uk

You will need to open an account and buy some credits. It costs £2.50 (sterling) to a view a certificate.
    ELWYN

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Hello, many years have passed since you made this message but these are my great-grandparents. What information are you interested in?

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Quote Originally Posted by ELRYDER View Post
    I am interested in the Ardboe, Co. Tyrone area.....looking for any information on Ryder....James Malachy and Mary V. (Rogers) ( Principal and Vice Principal of Ardboe elementary school.
    Thanks
    These are my great-grandparents. I could maybe help you!

Welcome to the Brit-Gen forums mckennac.
    Unfortunately ELRYDER is no longer a member of BG (as indicated by the word 'Guest' under their avatar) so will not receive notification of your post.
    Now you have taken the trouble to join our forums why not stick around and see what we have to offer those needing help with their pesky ancestors or if you need help our knowledgeable and friendly members love trying to solve puzzles.
    Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234