Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    JulesLK

Default Isabella

Hi Janet

She certainly didn't have a good start .... no wonder I couldn't find Eliza or Rhoda and then to lose her father in 1867. I did find Isabella living with her maternal grandmother, uncle and cousin on 1871 census aged 8. She must have known who her father was, hence the name change in the next census.

Just for your information, my gt gt grandfather died quite young and Isabella went on to marry again (twice in fact). I've been told by the family that she was quite a strong woman !!

Many many thanks for all your help .... I would never have found her without you.

Jules

Jan1954

Quote Originally Posted by janbooth View Post
    9 May 1865 Rhoda Sarah BONFIELD daughter of Benjamin BONFIELD & Eliza MATTHEWS, otp, labourer, born 21 March 1865 privately baptised

Aah, perhaps bingo - how about this one:

13 September 1863 Isabella MATTHEWS of [blank] Eliza otp [lab] born 8 January 1863
    FreeBMD has the following:

Births
    March quarter 1863, Royston District, Isabel MATTHEWS, volume 3a, page 225

March quarter 1865, Royston District, Rhoda Sarah MATTHEWS, volume 3a, page 249

Death
    June quarter 1865, Royston District, Rhoda Sarah MATTHEWS, volume 3a, page 161

janbooth

Default Isabella MATTHEWS

Glad to be of help, Jules. The MATTHEWS family appears to go back at least another generation in Guilden Morden, so if you need any more help, do let me know. I also have the PR Transcripts of Litlington, and Susanna's baptism is recorded as 19 June 1803 daughter of John & Mary MORRIS. There is another sibling baptised on the same day, namely Maria Ann. John & Mary were not married in Litlington, but there is a marriage at Steeple Morden on 18 July 1801 of a John MORRIS of Lidlington (probably should be Litlington) and Mary WATTS, of the parish, made her mark. Witnesses: James CHESSUM and James SHARP. If you would like me to look for any relevant baptisms, etc in the Mordens or Litlington, do let me know and I will be happy to oblige. Good luck in the rest of your research.

Janet

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Hi
    My maiden name was Bonfield and my grandparents came from a Sandy. They were market farmers. I also have a late great aunt who I think lived in Royston

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12